Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Religion
Which type of Christian am I? >

Which type of Christian am I?

Religion Discuss how your religious views affect your hunting lifestyle. All religions are welcome to post.

Which type of Christian am I?

Old 01-02-2020, 02:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Which type of Christian am I?

Which type of Christian am I? This is from a message my Pastor is teaching us from. I have added and expanded as he also will be doing in the coming weeks. We hate to classify folks into categories and we have to be careful not to do that. We can not see into a man's heart, only the Lord can do that. Jesus tells us not to judge others in Matthew 7:1-5. What we can do is look at our own lives, or as Paul said in 2 Corinthians 13:5, "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!" ESV. We are also told to look at another's life and how they live. We can judge fruit by what we see but we must be careful not to condemn others by thinking of ourselves too highly as again, Jesus teaches from the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 7:1-5 ( https://biblehub.com/esv/matthew/7.htm).

The purpose of this thread is not to classify Christians to lift ourselves up as better, but to help us to see how far Jesus wants us to grow as we feed upon all things that are of Christ (John 6:51-53; Matthew 26:26-29). Jesus is coming back for His Unblemished Church and we really do need to understand exactly what He means by that (Ephesians 5:25-27; 2 Corinthians 11:2-4). If we coast along, thinking we have been saved and life is good we may miss out on the Wedding Feast and not take up the invitation; or, we may find ourselves unready and not clothed properly in white garments (Revelation 19:7-9). So, lets look at what we see today within the Church and the people who go by the name of Christians. Will we be able to see by the light which one of these categories we may have passed through or are still a part of? Will we be able to accept the fact that we still have farther to go and will we realize the urgency needed in our hearts and minds to move on and further mature in our walk with Christ Jesus - if indeed we are even walking with Jesus.

Satan is wanting to detour what Jesus came to bring us; that is how to live a life that would please the Lord. Paul points to Timothy in Philippians 2:19-21, "I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I too may be cheered by news of you. For I have no one like him, who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare. For they all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ." How can we too be like a Timothy? How can we too have a mind of Jesus? We must learn to trust in the victory of the Cross - how we too can learn to overcome - be overcomers in Christ Jesus through faith in Christ and Him Crucified, so that the Holy Spirit will be able to work in our lives and help us in ways we never thought possible. Paul instructs Timothy as well as us in 2 Timothy 2:11-13,
'If we have died with him, we will also live with him;
if we endure, we will also reign with him;
if we deny him, he also will deny us;
if we are faithless, he remains faithful—for he cannot deny himself."

I) Lost sin nature folks. Living in Satan's kingdom and in their sin nature, they live a life of sin and darkness. 2 Corinthians 4:4-5, " 3And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God"; and John 3:19-20, "19 And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. 20 For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed."

II) Folks who are convinced they are going to heaven. They use their Christian name to satisfy their conscience that they are going to heaven, but the sin nature is still running their life. They have never truly repented. Matthew 13:19, "When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is what was sown along the path."

III) Carnal Christians.They are saved but in danger. They are living in their sin nature which has been revived which results in living in this world in one's fallen nature - not the new nature given at the new birth. They have received the Holy Spirit but do not walk in the Spirit, but are being led by self - just as before. In their trials they trust in self or their own abilities, not in the finished work of Christ Jesus who's blood saved them and to whom they are betrothed. Thus they commit spiritual adultery (Romans 7:9) which revived and revives the sin nature which was made dormant (Romans 6:1-14) in those who were born of the Spirit. We are supposed to no longer live under the Law - or any man made or self imposed laws - but under grace. But many, if not most, fall back to their old ways of trusting in themselves and their own abilities, probably not even realizing what they are doing - which is spiritual adultery and grieves the Holy Spirit and if done long enough - which may not be all that long, and allows the sin nature to revive. Too few Christians have matured past this to be able to properly instruct those just born of the Spirit in all the pitfalls of living for God. Many who should go on to be 4's or 5's instead fall back and live as 2's or 3's.
1 Corinthians 3:1-4; 1 Corinthians 11:17-34; 2 Corinthians 12:20-21; 2 Corinthians 13:5

IV) These folks are bringing forth proper fruit, living in Christ Jesus.
They love the Lord, they read His Word and Pray, they share what they have been given and have a heart for others.
But, they still do not know how to live for God as Paul teaches in Romans 6,7 & 8.. They do not know how to have victory in their own lives over their own flesh, the world and the Devil. They struggle to walk in the Spirit but do not know how. They are not able to overcome the their flesh, the world and the Devil yet by trusting completely in the finished work of Christ at Calvary's Cross. So, in a way, they live as miserable Christians; growing and producing fruit but yet not knowing the victory possible in Christ (Romans 7:19).
Mark 4:8-9, 20; Titus 2:14

V) Those with the understanding of Paul's Message of the Cross.
They have received Paul's understanding of How to live for God. Having received His Spirit, they walk in the Spirit.
They have learned to maintain a proper object of their faith in Christ and Him Crucified. They guard their faith so that it does not rest in themselves, their abilities or any other teacher or teaching. This insures a faithful walk in the Spirit which eventually, as they have matured in their faith IN Christ, and are led by the Spirit into many acts of Righteousness (Revelation 19:8). They have learned where to place their faith and are becoming stronger in their "childlike faith" in Christ and trust that His Victory over Satan can be our overcoming victory also by simple faith in only one object - Christ and Him Crucified. They are able to believe from the heart and not only from their intellect. They have become true servants of the Most High God, having surrendered their life for new life in Christ Jesus. They are becoming more like Jesus in their heart, their mind and their living and less like the world with the influences of Satan that once dominated their living and thinking (Philippians 2:3-5).
1 Timothy 2:7; Colossians 1:25-29; Philippians 1:9-11; Romans 6:16-18; Galatians 5:24-26

Last edited by grizzly 2; 01-03-2020 at 12:27 PM.