Religion Discuss how your religious views affect your hunting lifestyle. All religions are welcome to post.

So Sad...

Old 09-26-2019, 11:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default So Sad...

When I came on here in 2005 this forum was rocking..I made many friends and actually hunted with some...and met some at restaurants...because with Jesus being the center of everyones lives there is confidence..One fellow invited me to hunt on his 100 acre farm...a 16 1/2 hour drive..to the Ozarks in SE Missouri...WOW!! got an 8 point in 30 minutes and spent 5 days being blessed with awesome hospitality...Out churches were totally different and our doctrine was different but with Christ Jesus being the center of our lives...it worked...and worked well...He put a second deer in my cooler , some turkey , and elk..plus I learned a lot..this guy is a pro hunter ...I learned alot..I met many in diners for breakfast and took 2 guys on separate occasions on fishing trips in my boat..I used to trade fishing lures and one member sent me a new muzzle loader for my birthday with a new pair of La Crosse boots..This place was a family..now i'm advoided like the plague..

WE had heated debates on here...but the place was exciting..{ And challenged ALL to support their beliefs with scripture instead of church tradition} .but now... I get no feed back hardly and Jesus says in his Word when that happens...it may be best to leave " WIpe the dust off your feet" and take your Words to someone that will receive you..I use to have some of the mods..PM me { THey are still here} and welcome me...I get no PMS from anyone except Jake..This place as gotten very unfriendly..like a ghost town..fufilling the scripture..in Thessalonians..before Christ comes "There will be a GREAT FALLING AWAY" and Mt. 24 "The love of many will wax cold." Galations 5 ; 14 gives us Gentiles one commandment ..that will filfill the entire Bible..Love your neighbor as yourself" ...this aint happening.so sad

Last edited by Chuck7; 09-26-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think anybody is specifically avoiding you (like the plague or otherwise). It's true that the religion forum used to be a lot more active but the same can be said about the rest of the forums also. You can look in just about any forum and see quite a few topics that get no or very few responses. Unfortunately, it just is what it is.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

I'm with Cal on this one Chuck.

It's the whole forum these days. Only a few sections stay busy.

Keep doing your thing and don't worry about anyone else!

-Jake
Old 09-27-2019, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll chime in just to echo what Jake and Cal have said. I have had many posts and PM's with you over the long time we both have been here on Huntingnet. I think society as a whole has gradually shied away from religion and therefore posting about it has diminished too. This site has been in a big decline for several years now. I can't figure out why since I am a member of a few others that appear to be busy like HNI was years ago. I would like to see this place take off again and become fun like it was way back in the good old days but I doubt it will happen.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:48 PM
Spike

Great advice
Old 09-29-2019, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I still think this is a rather friendly site, and most members do try and help
will always be folks that join looking for sales or to get an answer and leave
as for the religion side of things, I'm sorry to say I think far more people today just don't believe like they used to, and as such, that means many members will not be very religious.
but I don't see how this really matters when a topic if NOT about religion?
the answers given or suggestions to most post I see here are on topic
yes things do get derailed at times and sure most of us are guilty of this(I know I have) but I still feel most times its done either by mistake or with hope it still helps someone things being said in treads!

I know I am maybe not a very religious person, I never felt any dis respect here it or, any favor ism , nor do I think I ever tried to pout anyone beliefs down or praise them I think that is a personal thing and for each to do as they wish, and shouldn;t be forced on anyone!, !

I also, feel, if someone feels they are not liked or wanted, its there right to come stay or leave a forum.
I hate seeing good members go, but its also a part of life , some times some come back too.
but I don't again feel this site's members chase anyone away, and hope they don't!
Old 10-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think members necessarily "chase" other members away as in threatening them to leave or else. There has been some bullying that occurred and some members chose not to post any more. But that doesn't tell the whole story.

A lot of members post questions on these forums and get mixed results. Some members believe things can only be learned in a specific way, such as a new hunter learning the ropes. Not everybody learns the same way or has the same resources. And some of these members forget that HNI is a resource for people to learn and understand. And what works for one member in their particular location might not work for another member in a different part of the country.

Other members post unpopular statements in the political section (usually something along the liberal talking points, etc.) with predictable responses. Since most (but not all) of the members posting liberal ideas are essentially trolling, that predictable response isn't going to change anytime soon. Once in a while, a member will post beyond talking points and create a really good discussion where you learn things and realize there's more to the story or issue than simply what's in the lame media.

And then you have the religion forum. For a while, it was run where it only accepted certain Christian concepts and anything else was attacked. It took a while but that narrow concept was eventually replaced with a more open and accepting forum. Yes, some people left but the attacks have largely stopped.

As I said above, IMHO, the decline of the religion forum also matches the decline of the rest of the website. Posting a topic often gets few or no responses and it's become pretty rare for a topic in any forum to go past a single page of responses. That's certainly not as much fun but it's reality. If you look at the bottom of the main page for the forums, you will see who is online at that particular moment. You can also see some other interesting statistics that help explain what I'm trying to say and also answers your question in chief. The home page right now shows:
Currently Active Users: 692 (17 members and 675 guests)
This means that 99.98% of the people currently "online" at HNI are guests who cannot post. And only .02% of people online who are members and can post.
Now look closer at those 17 "members" who are online: Out of the 17 registered members, about half are still registering and are spammers.
IBanna is the site Admin.
Arrowmaster and I are Mods.
Alsatian, ATracker, BarnesAddict EShoreMD, mackesr, mrbb, rockport and sabotloader are regular members that actually post content.
That's 1 Admin, 2 mods and 8 regular members that actually post content.
The other 6 are spammers. Most of them lie on their registration and claim they are in the US when their IP addresses obviously indicate other countries, such as India, Poland, etc. 1 of those addresses is for a spammer that has been reported as a spammer by other websites.

Spammers aren't going to post anything but spam. The Admin is going to run the website, not post content. So you're left with 2 mods and 8 regular members currently online. There are around 65 separate forums on this website, not counting the sub-forums within some of those forums. That would easily bump the # of forums to 70+.

I was going to say that you've currently got 10% (me) of members online actually posting in your topic. But that changed while I was writing this post. Setting aside the Admin who is answering a techie question, you now have 1 mod and 3 regular members who are still logged in. That means you are now effectively getting a 25% response rate which is pretty darn good. Oh, and you still have spammers logged in or registering which means the spammers now outnumber the regulars online at this moment. But that's often the case. This has been a very long-winded way of saying it's not you Chuck; it's just the way this whole website now operates.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Perhaps the decline of the activity could be traced to the site becoming a spammers haven. When I was a mod and had some time on my hands I would often seek the spammers out. Banning 100 in just an hour or two was easy since there are so many. Look at total member numbers then compare to who is actually on line. From what I can see there aren't more than a few dozen real regulars. Too bad it was a great site in its heyday.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

So goes the industry. With hunting in decline in most states it’s not surprising hunting forums are declining as well.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT View Post
So goes the industry. With hunting in decline in most states itís not surprising hunting forums are declining as well.
True enough although there are a few sites that are still really alive with almost continuous posts like this one was many years ago..

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service