Religion Discuss how your religious views affect your hunting lifestyle. All religions are welcome to post.

So Sad...

Old 11-12-2019, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
Let me try reframing the question:
If guests can't post, how do they benefit our website?
Sounds like a guest is someone who doesn't post, not someone who can't post. Perhaps people lurk and only log in when they want to write something. Or perhaps many of these "guests" are simply web crawlers.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Currently Active Users: 780 (20 members and 760 guests)

I don't understand how this ratio of members to guests is beneficial to our website!?
Hi Ray,

Guests are people who come to HNI from Google. Just like you probably did before you signed up.

Does that answer your question?

Paul
Old 11-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

These were all excellent questions and deserve their own separate answers, at least as I understand them (Paul can chime in since this is is area of expertise).
Originally Posted by Cub Slayer View Post
I see. That is how I interact with the hunting site I once called home. I read it but never log in or post. They actually have no way that I can see to delete an account, so their account figures are probably quite inflated.
Deleting accounts on a forum can be tricky. We used to delete the accounts on HNI but it messed up some of the topics, especially when the deleted account was also the topic starter. A challenge for forums is to retain the rest of the material in any topic where an individual account is deleted so other people can access it, whether they are members or just people searching that topic on the internet.

QUOTE=Cub Slayer;4364541]Sounds like a guest is someone who doesn't post, not someone who can't post. Perhaps people lurk and only log in when they want to write something. Or perhaps many of these "guests" are simply web crawlers.[/QUOTE]
That's possible. Search engines do use web crawlers to make searches on their search engines more efficient and effective. Many of these guests are also people doing web searches and reading the relevant material on our website without choosing to become members (at least at that time). And, sometimes we get lucky and a person joins so they can contribute as well. If you look at the "New Topics" internal search page, you'll find we still get a fair # of people joining HuntingNet just so they can ask a question. Logically, most of those new members probably viewed at least one or 2 topics to get an idea if they wanted to expend their time joining our website or not.

Paul can answer this better but websites get advertising revenue from advertisers based on website hits. Unique guests (their own separate IP address for instance) make them salivate because they know there's a good chance those are real people and not a web crawler, bot, etc. It's kind of like a TV show and it's advertising. The bigger the audience, the more the show can charge for advertising. Those "guests" may never join or make a single post but they contribute to the site traffic #'s which result in more revenue for the site, pays the bills and keeps this place free for those of us who do post on the site.

Hopefully the above answers helped some.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I have to believe most of the new members are actually bots judging by the fact that they never post and have bizarre alpha numeric membership names often coming in sequence. All they appear to do is boost member numbers which might be something a web site administrator might be interested in. To the actual members who use the site to share and gather information they are irrelevant. It is clear to me that sites like this might have a dual purpose that being personal and business depending on who is using it. In short a site might not get much for actual subject matter posting (hunting) but be successful from an admin standpoint. I do think some of the software improvements have helped. I can remember signing on in years past and seeing almost every forum on the site spammed. Thankfully when I was a mod and encountered that there were some tools that allowed bulk deletions up to 25 as I remember it. Even with that it would often take an hour or more to clean the site up and get it ready for the members that didn't sign on early like I did.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post

Paul can answer this better but websites get advertising revenue from advertisers based on website hits. Unique guests (their own separate IP address for instance) make them salivate because they know there's a good chance those are real people and not a web crawler, bot, etc. It's kind of like a TV show and it's advertising. The bigger the audience, the more the show can charge for advertising. Those "guests" may never join or make a single post but they contribute to the site traffic #'s which result in more revenue for the site, pays the bills and keeps this place free for those of us who do post on the site.

Hopefully the above answers helped some.
Yes CalH, That helps.
Now (and Paul is welcome to chime in)
Do advertisers value members above guests in any way?
Old 11-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Yes CalH, That helps.
As far as I know, it doesn't matter to them whether a user is logged in or not.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

And therein lies the rub. Other than generating revenue, they are of no value to the site.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yes CalH, That helps.
Yes and no. An advertiser would "value" a member over a guest but not in the way(s) you might suspect. Both members and guests create website traffic or hits which is what helps set advertising rates for a website. Just like the Superbowl, when more people watch (or click on forum content on HuntingNet), you can charge more for advertising.

Where a member might have more value is the member(s) post the original content which attracts viewers to the site, including all of those "guests" who are presumably viewing both the posted content and advertising. Now where guests could have more value is there are far more of them numerically (around 98% or so of the viewership). And, if you're a guest who joins HuntingNet, why, that's the best of both worlds. Just for the record, this is a very basic explanation as there are other things to consider.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
And therein lies the rub. Other than generating revenue, they are of no value to the site.
2 eyes and 2 different goals. My goal is probably the same as yours OT...to have a good high quality well run web forum to hang out and occasionally post. I am betting admins goals are more along a business model. Expenses vs revenue which hopefully produces profit. It is a business and it really doesn't matter what they are selling or services they produce. IB Brands has dozens of different internet forums in many fields from medical, legal, aviation, cars.... and most aren't affiliated with hunting. Each forum they own or manage is there to generate growth and revenue while providing a service as the secondary goal or the means to achieve their profit. Our desires and those of the mods are all geared towards our use for the subject matter the site is focused on. I am sure admin looks at the site as just another cog in the business wheel. IB is kind of like a department store and HNI is just the sporting goods section. Each department has to stand on its own and hopefully generate profit and are serviced by the leadership of the store (IB). There was a period of time that I didn't enjoy the site because of the intrusion of continuous spam. I was a mod and due to my responsibilities had to take a more active part in the elimination of that spam. I couldn't just ignore it and that in itself made me feel like it was an intrusion to a site I really enjoyed. To IB's credit they have listened somewhat and have initiated changes that have helped reduce the spam. I look at their actions as a balance trying to protect their goals and to allow us to enjoy the site the way we want to. The bottom line is without their business side to HNI it wouldn't be free or even be there. The site started out being family friendly and I hope it continues to stay that way.