Religion Discuss how your religious views affect your hunting lifestyle. All religions are welcome to post.

So Sad...

Old 11-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Wow. That's a bit much for me, having not gotten into hunting until 2013.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
This means that 99.98% of the people currently "online" at HNI are guests who cannot post. And only .02% of people online who are members and can post.
No, actually it's 2% and 98%. You have to move the decimal after dividing.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
Many of us would like to see HNI implement some type of software upgrade so those spammers can't join as members and can't post. Admin doesn't want to mess with these spammers since they aren't posting anything. The 2nd much smaller group of spammers join as bogus members and then post a spam topic or spam post in somebody else's legitimate topic. This group is usually less than 5-10 per day and are the ones members file complaint tickets about and either mods or Admin remove (permaban) them and the soft-delete their posts so members can no longer see them. Although both types of spammers are annoying, I honestly don't think either type of spammer causes members to stop posting here.
I agree with this -- the small amount of spam is not causing anyone to stop posting. It's all Google and Facebook that's caused a decline. But we are still here!

And we've discussed in the mods' forum, but it's worth repeating here: we have a LOT of antispam controls on this site. If we turned them off, all you'd see is spam. I wish we could be 100% spam free, but that's not possible as long as we continue to allow people to create profiles and post freely. The tiny amount of spam here is testimony to the mod team, and to our techs' efforts at stopping as many as we can at the source.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
Yes, another hunting message board. I wouldn't say they were quick to censor or ban, they do try to keep control and dump the spammers which is a tough job. There are less moderators here than there used to be and I suspect that is why the spammers are running wild. Moderators are volunteers who have a life and regular jobs and can't spend all their time dumping spammers.
When you say "running wild... what do you mean? I see a small handful of spam posts per week on HN. This place actually has a teeny tiny amount of spam compared to most forums.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

He may be referring to the problems we had before the changes Ibobi. When mods were trying to keep up with 20-30 posts a day.

The 2-5 we get a day (sometimes) now certainly isn't "running wild" and we do a pretty decent job of keeping up with them.

-Jake
Old 11-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bocajnala View Post
He may be referring to the problems we had before the changes Ibobi. When mods were trying to keep up with 20-30 posts a day.

The 2-5 we get a day (sometimes) now certainly isn't "running wild" and we do a pretty decent job of keeping up with them.

-Jake
Thank you!
Old 11-12-2019, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Currently Active Users: 780 (20 members and 760 guests)

I don't understand how this ratio of members to guests is beneficial to our website!?
Old 11-12-2019, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

What exactly is the distinction? What makes someone a "guest"?
Old 11-12-2019, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Guests are people on the site, viewing the site but not registered and logged in as a member.

Guests has nothing to do with spam. I would guess that most of the site traffic is from guests. Example: a person does a Google search on a related hunting topic and views an HNI thread. That would be a guest viewing the site.

I read as a guest for several years prior to making an account. I was young and wasn't allowed to have online accounts. But could read all the hunting stuff I could find. Learned allot here as a guest before joining and becoming active on the youth forum initially.

-Jake
Old 11-12-2019, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

I see. That is how I interact with the hunting site I once called home. I read it but never log in or post. They actually have no way that I can see to delete an account, so their account figures are probably quite inflated.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
Currently Active Users: 780 (20 members and 760 guests)

I don't understand how this ratio of members to guests is beneficial to our website!?
Let me try reframing the question:
If guests can't post, how do they benefit our website?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service