Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Religion
A wake up call (video) >

A wake up call (video)

Religion Discuss how your religious views affect your hunting lifestyle. All religions are welcome to post.

A wake up call (video)

Old 09-19-2019, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Default A wake up call (video)

it's worth twelve minutes of your time

-Jake
Old 09-19-2019, 11:15 PM
Dominant Buck

one of my favorite modern day preachers..HIs message.goes nicely with mine...I've heard about all of his videos..He started the same way as I..he started a church in his home. He presently ministers in San Francisco...after leaving a mega church ...Francis Chan is the real deal.

Last edited by Chuck7; 09-19-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

I watched. Didn't get much out of it, except a reinforcement of my observation that many preachers depend too heavily on people's willingness to accept the bible at face value. That's probably just the nerd in me.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

It's the human in you.

Interestingly: what I believe to be true, and what you believe to be true, or what anybody else believes to be true, has absolutely zero impact on what is true.

In the first 59 seconds of the video he says "I'm a human I could be wrong. The best I can understand the bible and what Jesus says is..."

-Jake
Old 11-10-2019, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Don't agree. I wish my reliance on the scientific method were because of "the human in me", but sadly this is not the case. If it were, the world would be a much better place. Learning to reason and apply rational thinking is learned behavior - about as far from instinct as one can get.

You're stating the order backwards, at least for me. Of course I know that my beliefs do not affect what is true (although I know some quantum physicists who would disagree with you on that point).

My goal is to rely on observation and reasoning to best align my beliefs with what is actually true. In that regard, I consider the Bible to be a poor choice for guidance. It has been my observation that many preachers take for granted that their audience shares their unshakeable belief in the bible. Based on this, they design their sermons around convincing the audience that their point is supported by the contents in the bible, and that if they succeed in doing so, all who listen will be persuaded.

If the audience is selectively a heavily bible-believing group, this may be fairly effective, but for the general population, it is not.

It does nothing for me personally when someone shouts that their view is "in the Bible". I suspect this is true for more people that most preachers realize.