Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Religion
Word of the Day, October 17, 2018, Matthew 5:21-22 >

Word of the Day, October 17, 2018, Matthew 5:21-22

Religion Discuss how your religious views affect your hunting lifestyle. All religions are welcome to post.

Word of the Day, October 17, 2018, Matthew 5:21-22

Old 10-17-2018, 03:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Word of the Day, October 17, 2018, Matthew 5:21-22

Word of the Day, October 17, 2018

“ Oh, how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way, Leaning on the everlasting arms; Oh, how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the everlasting arms. Leaning, leaning, Safe and secure from all alarms; Leaning, leaning, Leaning on the everlasting arms.”

Matthew 5:21-22

21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Reading the word over the last few months I have been studying ways to be like Christ and not like Tim. Often as Christians and even non-believers, we easily avoid what some people call the extreme sins, but we regular commit the types of sins with actions that Jesus was most concerned with. I believe that many of us believe that if we just commit name calling that it is not the same as murder with the same outcome.

Jesus spoke to us clearly that if we kill, we shall be in danger of judgment. However, it is not enough to not commit murder, but we must also avoid anger and hatred. Jesus tells us here that we are in danger of the same judgment for whoever is angry with his brother without a cause. He even goes one step further and says that if you insult your brother by calling him a Raca shall be in the same danger of the council. Do we know what Raca means? It was a derogatory expression meaning empty-headed insinuating a person’s stupidity or inferiority. Jesus goes on to tell us that calling someone a fool, then we shall be in danger of hell fire.

23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

Jesus gives us an example of how important it is to be right when you are giving a sacrifice to the LORD. It is not enough to give and to offer for others but how important it is to be right with GOD and others. He told us to leave the gift, fix things with thy brother and then come back and offer the gift unto the altar.

27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

We all know that it is a sin to commit adultery. However Jesus is telling us that to look and lust upon another woman has committed adultery also in his heart. Jesus in not telling us to literally poke our eye or cut off our hands but they we are guilty of sin that will cause eternity in hell so if we get ride of the bad eye or hand, then we will be better off than to end in the hell with our whole body. Jesus is saying that lusting after another person is the same as adultery, actually doing the act of adultery.

Killing is a terrible sin, but anger is a great sin also because it also violates GOD’s command to love. Anger keeps us from growing our spirit pleasing to GOD. We are hypocrites if we claim to love GOD while we hate others. Our attitudes toward others reflect our relationship with GOD. We often forget that that the act of lusting for someone else beside our spouse is a sin also. The act of adultery is wrong and then so is the intention or thought.

I will finish with this, Jesus wants us to understand our actions of Murder, Sacrifices, Adultery, Vows and Revenge and that we need to avoid killing, to offer regular gifts, to avoid adultery and lustful desires of other people than our spouse, keep our vows and to not seek justice for ourselves and we must also avoid anger and hatred, have right relationships with GOD and others. We need to keep our hearts from lusting, acting them out and to be faithful. We are to avoid casual and irresponsible commitments to others and also with GOD. We must keep our word and finally we need to show mercy and love to other like GOD does with us.

“ It tells me of a Savior's love who died and set me free. It tells me of His precious blood, the sinner's perfect plea. Oh, how I love Jesus, Oh, how I love Jesus, Oh, how I love Jesus because He first loved me.”

Timothy P. Furness