Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Religion
How grass and trees become enlightened >

How grass and trees become enlightened

Religion Discuss how your religious views affect your hunting lifestyle. All religions are welcome to post.

How grass and trees become enlightened

Old 11-12-2017, 05:07 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink How grass and trees become enlightened

During the Kamakura period, (1185-1333), Shinkan studied Tendai six years and then studied Zen seven years; then he went to China and contemplated Zen for thirteen years more.

When he returned to Japan many desired to interview him and asked obscure questions. But when Shinkan received visitors, which was infrequently, he seldom answered their questions.

One day a fifty-year-old student of enlightenment said to Shinkan: “I have studied the Tendai school of thought since I was a little boy, but one thing in it I cannot understand. Tendai claims that even the grass and trees will become enlightened. To me this seems strange.”

“Of what use is it to discuss how grass and trees become enlightened?” asked Shinkan. “The question is how you yourself can become so. Did you ever consider that?”

“I never thought of it in that way,” marveled the old man.

“Then go home and think it over,” finished Shinkan.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe I'm not enlightened.... Focus on yourself instead of worrying about others?

Maybe.

-Jake
Old 11-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Against busybody intellectualism.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Don't be a Pharisee?
Old 11-13-2017, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala View Post
Maybe I'm not enlightened.... Focus on yourself instead of worrying about others?

Maybe.

-Jake
Sounds about right, self contemplation, looking inward seems to be a step on the road to enlightenment in many disciplines.

The down side is some people seem to get lost within, they never take the next step.

We are trained from a very young age to think pretty much alike as a society. Some of it is learned, some inherited, much of it is taught. The down side to collective wisdom is that it closes you off to much of the world. The daily white noise and irrelevant things you see and instantly discard are out there, you've just learned to tune them out.

You actually send out pheromone signals all the time, some plants answer. If you are interested enough, open enough and sensitive enough you can sense it. There is a symbiosis between many plants and foragers, that is how the seeds and pollens are spread. You can call me nuts if you want, I've followed the path from sensing a plant, taking a sample, finding a book and seeing how that plant was used in native cultures. There are a hundred plants and varieties close by, why did I pick that one? There is often an answer that would totally escape someone closed off to the possibility of an answer.

Best guess is closing off as much external input as possible, allows you to open to one input at a time and maybe sense things you'd normally overlook?

The guy asked a question he should have already known the answer to, so the master said, back to basics.