Religion Discuss how your religious views affect your hunting lifestyle. All religions are welcome to post.

Am I human?

Old 08-05-2017, 05:15 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink Am I human?

In Tokyo in the Meiji era there lived two prominent teachers of opposite characteristics. One, Unsho, an instructor in Shingon, kept Buddha’s precepts scrupulously. He never drank intoxicants, nor did he eat after eleven o’clock in the morning. The other teacher, Tanzan, a professor of philosophy at the Imperial University, never observed the precepts. When he felt like eating, he ate, and when he felt like sleeping in the daytime he slept.

One day Unsho visited Tanzan, who was drinking wine at the time, not even a drop of which is supposed to touch the tongue of a Buddhist.

“Hello, brother,” Tanzan greeted him. “Won’t you have a drink?”

“I never drink!” exclaimed Unsho solemnly.

“One who does not drink is not even human,” said Tanzan

“Do you mean to call me inhuman just because I do not indulge in intoxicating liquids!” exclaimed Unsho in anger. “Then if I am not human, what am I?”

“A Buddha, “ answered Tanzan.

---------------

While there is a sect that worships the Buddha as a god, strictly speaking, a Buddha is someone who has been enlightened.

I think Tanzan’s answer is actually a bit of a reprimand. Someone who is truly enlightened, would not be that concerned with drinking or not drinking.

Shinto, my faith, incorporates many elements of Buddhism, which is why this stuff is relevant to me. We have a form of meditation very much like Soto Zen, for example.