Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Religion
Some Thoughts >

Some Thoughts

Religion Discuss how your religious views affect your hunting lifestyle. All religions are welcome to post.

Some Thoughts

Old 03-10-2017, 06:46 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink Some Thoughts

Hyakujo, the Chinese Zen master, used to labor with his students even at the age of eighty, trimming the gardens, cleaning the grounds, and pruning the trees. The students felt sorry to see the old teacher working so hard, but they knew he would not listen to their advice to stop, so they hid his tools.

That day the master did not eat. The next day he did not eat, nor the next. "He may be angry because we have hidden his tools," the students surmised. "We had better put them back."

The day they did, the teacher worked and ate the same as before. In the evening he instructed them: "No work, no food."
Old 03-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Spike

so what now ?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

If you think about it, he did the same thing Paul did in the NT when he visited different churches. Instead of just expecting or letting others support him, he worked to earn his keep while ministering to the churches.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:50 PM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

I find it interesting, since I have become more acquainted with the Judeo/Christian teachings that there are so many cross references seems between the teachings of my traditions and so many of the Judeo/Christian traditions.

For instance, in this case, I think of St. Paul's second letter to the Thessalonians, Chapter 3. verse 10. where he says, "10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat."
Old 03-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sachiko View Post
Hyakujo, the Chinese Zen master, used to labor with his students even at the age of eighty, trimming the gardens, cleaning the grounds, and pruning the trees. The students felt sorry to see the old teacher working so hard, but they knew he would not listen to their advice to stop, so they hid his tools.

That day the master did not eat. The next day he did not eat, nor the next. "He may be angry because we have hidden his tools," the students surmised. "We had better put them back."

The day they did, the teacher worked and ate the same as before. In the evening he instructed them: "No work, no food."
Boy we can really use some more of that now a days!
Old 03-13-2017, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suspect that if you search the scripture you will find an admonition to feed the hungry, no requirements necessary. The Sermon of the Mount might be one.