Predator Hunting Tactics, Strategies and Reference Material Experienced Predator hunters share what works, what you need and how to best use it.

Coyote in Colorado (Denver)

Old 08-21-2019, 11:12 AM
Spike

Default Coyote in Colorado (Denver)

Good Morning,

I want to start hunting Coyotes in Colorado, I have an AR15 .223, license and all the equipment ready.
I would like to go east to Denver, I live in Centennial.
Could you guide me a little?
Thank you,

Alberto.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like you are ready to go except for the scouting. Part of hunting is doing your own scouting, not going on the internet and expecting other people to scout for you. Start traveling around and checking out places for coyotes. Iy is a lot more satisfying when you are successful if you do your own work. Of course, there is always paying someone to guide you!
Old 08-21-2019, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

If you do a YouTube search, there are several videos made by pros that regularly compete in contests and are famous in the industry. If you refine your search to Colorado, you'll get even more local information. You can read online articles about hunting coyotes that seem pertinent to how and where you would hunt. But, there's nothing quite like watching some pro who is competing in your state or terrain similar to it. As you read more and re-watch the videos, you'll start to notice more things. Along with this research, go back through previous topics in this forum as there are some very knowledgeable and experienced yote hunters that have freely shared their time and expertise for people wanting to learn. All of these sources will not only explain how to hunt but also how to scout, when to move from one area to another, how far to move, how to set up (shade is your friend), call and a lot of really good information. Best thing is it's at your fingertips, it's free and many of these guys could easily write their own books or make their own videos.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Looks like you are ready to go except for the scouting. Part of hunting is doing your own scouting, not going on the internet and expecting other people to scout for you. Start traveling around and checking out places for coyotes. Iy is a lot more satisfying when you are successful if you do your own work. Of course, there is always paying someone to guide you!
I didn't get the same take on the OP's "guide me a little" statement. I took it to mean he wanted some tips and ideas as he's new to the sport, not that he wants you to scout for him or actually guide for him. I think such an interpretation is stretching things quite a bit.

Ditto on Cal's suggestion about YouTube. You could watch YouTube videos on coyote hunting until next Spring and still not run out of material. Some of the videos are made by guys who regularly compete in coyote hunting competitions and are geared towards getting a new person up to speed on coyote hunting. After a while, you find your knowledge base goes up and you can weed out the less useful or less informative videos. Good luck and don't hesitate to post questions as they come up.

Last edited by elkman30; 08-21-2019 at 11:53 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 09-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Spike

Thanks Elkman30 and Calhunter, exactly Im just looking for some tips, I´m new and I though that I could get some tips here and not "expecting other people to scout for me".
I will check on youtube.
Thanks,
Alberto.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:34 AM
Spike

Default Coyote

Originally Posted by carretaph
Good Morning,

I want to start hunting Coyotes in Colorado, I have an AR15 .223, license and all the equipment ready.
I would like to go east to Denver, I live in Centennial.
Could you guide me a little?
Thank you,

Alberto.
you need to travel further east than Denver if you expect to have a successful coyote hunt