Predator Hunting Tactics, Strategies and Reference Material Experienced Predator hunters share what works, what you need and how to best use it.

Coyotoe pelts

Old 01-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Spike

Default Coyotoe pelts

A friend of mine has a serious coyotoe problem on his property. We are going to take care of it this weekend. I was wondering if any of y'all had dealings with a Taxidermist that would be willing to take multiple pelts as a payment for one finished pelt I can mount on my wall. I don't want to kill them and have them go to waste. I have tried calling a couple of places around but wasn't able to get ahold of anyone. All & all I'm just wondering what the chances of one accepting other pelts as payment would be or just taking them off my hands. Like I mentioned before I don't want them to go to waste.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Banned

I WOULD GUESS IF YOU LOOKED AROUND YOU COULD FIND ONE WILLING TO DO THAT.but offhand I CAN'T POINT YOU TO ONE.

WHERE ARE YOU ? STATE?
Old 01-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Spike

I forgot to post I'm in missouri, sorry about that. His property is around Bowling Green Missouri. I called 3 places one said they wouldn't the other never answered of course.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

You will not be taking care of a coyote problem in one weekend, probably not even make a dent in the population.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Banned

most likely not even in a year. but have a ball trying.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can certainly sell them to a taxidermist, if you are willing to sell them cheap !!!

It all adds up...............................!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Spike

I've told him the same thing. I know there is no way we will be able to get them all but he is pretty determined to try. It's going to be a blast trying to
Old 01-26-2015, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

My estimation based on fur prices would be that you'd need to pass over around 6-8 hides to get one tanned for you. Since you're in Misery (intentional misspell), then I'll expect fur prices are in the $15-20 for you this year for GOOD coyotes, the same as they are on our side. In general, it costs somewhere between $75-100 to get a hide tanned. So if your taxidermist gives you full market price for them, you'd be looking somewhere in that 6-8 hides ballpark to make up his time and cost, at least.

Now, does your taxidermist NEED 6-8 coyotes, or even have use for them? Probably not. And if you ONLY SHOOT 6-8, then you most likely don't have 6-8 coyotes that your taxidermist would want to buy, since they'd be looking for the best of the best. I can't say that any of the taxidermists that I use would need so many. Unless they regularly buy green pelts and regularly sell finished hides, then you're probably handing them a lot of work and a lot of hustling.

Keep in mind, that a great number of taxidermists don't tan their own hides, so they send that out. One of the guys I've had do coyotes for me in the past charged $75 and he said he had $50 each at the tannery to have them done, so the only money he made was for the fleshing and stretching. So if you're passing 6-8 coyotes to your taxidermist, you're really passing him a bill for $300-400. If I'm a taxidermist (and I've tanned enough coyotes into saleable wall-hangers to qualify on this front), then I'm not interested in that trade. Maybe you'll get lucky though.

I'd say that your best move is to find a trapper or better still, a fur-buyer, sell what you shoot, but keep the best of the best, then use the buyer payout to pay your taxidermist.

And of course, the reality of knocking down 6-8 coyotes on your first outing in one weekend is highly unlikely. You'll have more cost in gas driving back and forth and in putting up the first few hides while you're trying to fill your limit than you'd spend in paying the taxidermist to do that one hide for you.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nomercey's post is probably the best advice wou will get on your OP.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Spike

Thank you!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.