HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Predator Hunting Tactics, Strategies and Reference Material (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/predator-hunting-tactics-strategies-reference-material-141/)
-   -   Predator Problem (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/predator-hunting-tactics-strategies-reference-material/396431-predator-problem.html)

IdahoHunt 12-15-2014 06:55 PM

Predator Problem

I've seen a ton of wolf tracks and kills this year.

What is the best way to hunt wolf?
Best place to sit?
Best way to get them to come in?

Sheridan 12-15-2014 07:14 PM

Best way is to get a tag -LOL

Find the elk / deer herd they are feeding on - follow those kills !

Set-up on the freshest one you can find....................

IdahoHunt 12-15-2014 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 4175539)
Best way is to get a tag -LOL

Find the elk / deer herd they are feeding on - follow those kills !

Set-up on the freshest one you can find....................

I got a tag, Just waiting to fill it lol.
I followed they're tracks for a ways and it went down a couple game trails, I put game cameras up on the trails they went hoping to get pictures to see if they go in patterns.

grinder67 12-16-2014 04:55 AM

I think I would try calling if I ever got the chance. Keep the wind in my favor, get in the are and try some howls or some kind of distress.

kidoggy 12-16-2014 06:28 AM

I agree follow where the elk and deer herds are wintering.if there be wolves in the area ,that's were they'll be.

CALLING CAN BE VERY EFFECTIVE. try fawn in distress. I'VE heard stories of IDAHOANS, USING BABY COTTONTAIL IN THE LOWMAN AREA. and don't be afraid to throw out a coyote howl every now and then . wolves are territorial and do not like coyotes in thier domain.

BEST WAY IS TO JUST GET OUT THERE . trial and error. good luck

IdahoHunt 12-17-2014 04:09 PM

Thanks everyone for the info, Will see what happens this weekend.

Sheridan 12-17-2014 07:33 PM

Set-up over the freshest kill you can find.

Don't call too loud, if at all .................watch instead !

IdahoHunt 12-20-2014 04:02 PM

Went today and did some calling, Couple hours later I heard a wolf howl in the distance, Sounded quiet aways away though. Also saw these tracks, Think there Mountain Lion. There's no claw imprints in the ground.

Theres a lot of mountain lions up there but I only own 10 acres and the property is surrounded by loggin companies, I've been wanting to run hounds to get a mountain lion but have not got permission from the logging companies. Different question but is there a way to bait mountain lions onto your property?

Ridge Runner 12-20-2014 04:44 PM

doesn't matter, no way can any pack of hounds tree a cat on 10 acres.
RR

alleyyooper 01-01-2015 01:50 AM

I would think that cats could not pass up a easy meal of road kill deer. If you kept applying road kill to the same pike of very close by I bet the cats would include it on there daily rounds.
Most of the big timber company's in Michigan allow hunting on their property if you ask and get a permission slip.

:D Al