HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Predator Hunting Tactics, Strategies and Reference Material (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/predator-hunting-tactics-strategies-reference-material-141/)
-   -   Camo gun? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/predator-hunting-tactics-strategies-reference-material/388774-camo-gun.html)

blaZer_2 01-08-2014 08:45 PM

Camo gun?

I will be hunting coyotes out of a low homemade tree stand but it is closed in like a blind and with a small open space above the shooting rail should I camo my gun before I go?

Nomercy448 01-08-2014 08:54 PM

Can't hurt, but it isn't 100% necessary. I can't say that I know of a single time when my gun gave me away, usually it's any one of ten thousand other blunders that get me busted on stand. I have wraps on a lot of my calling weapons now, but only started doing so a few years ago, can't say my success rate went up much, but I do it.

If you have the wraps, it sure won't hurt, but I wouldn't stay home just because my rifle wasn't camo'd up.

blaZer_2 01-08-2014 09:36 PM

also do you use scent control for coyotes?

Bugflipper 01-08-2014 11:27 PM

Yes I use a scent suit and the wind direction personally. If they scent you they will just be bebopping in and all the sudden break off in a dead run away as soon as they wind you.

Nomercy448 01-09-2014 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by blaZer_2 (Post 4114595)
also do you use scent control for coyotes?

Absolute waste of time and money to use scent control for coyotes. Personally, I think it's a waste for deer as well, but those deer hunters are hard headed.

If there was a product that could trick a coyotes nose, then drug traffickers wouldn't have so much trouble getting their products past K-9 units. You cannot fool a coyotes nose.

The wind is your scent cover. How you approach your sets is critical to account for that wind.

Confidence scents are a different story, but for how I hunt, they don't work. I don't hunt in a way that allows coyotes to catch my scent without giving me a shot at them, so by the time they'd smell my confidence scent, they're already dead.

Sheridan 01-09-2014 09:32 AM

Far more important to take care of how you come into the area you plan to hunt.

EXPECT them to come into your set-up from down wind.

More than scent control, I believe in gaining higher ground and remaining motionless.

Often I have to set down my cigarette to shoot them - so I do believe in "cover scent".

Now, those drug dealers do wrap their stuff in "clear wrap"; so you could consider that - LOL !!!

Slayer11 01-09-2014 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4114701)

If there was a product that could trick a coyotes nose, then drug traffickers wouldn't have so much trouble getting their products past K-9 units. You cannot fool a coyotes nose.

The wind is your scent cover. How you approach your sets is critical to account for that wind.

I never thought of it that way, but that is a very good point.

Superman70 09-26-2016 10:56 AM

I can only think of one time in my life that a gun got me busted. I was hunting on the ground with a stainless handgun. I blame all of that white moving around for the.problem. That buck saw the gun moving while I brought it up. He walked about 20 yards and had to check and see if that stump really moved. Longer shot but same result as previously expected.

Krylon if you feel better about camo.

mrbb 09-26-2016 05:38 PM

scent control isn't a waste of time
I won't say its possible to be scent free by any mean's
BUt you can sure lower the amount your putting out there

scent control is like all other tools, it HELPS or hurts you which way you use it or DON"T
we all know MOST animals live by there nose
so HOW in the world can anyoen say, making LESS scent WON"T help you be a better hunter by allowing you to get closer before they smell you??

think of a dead skunk
up close is NASTY, farther away you get less you smell it

I have to think WE humans smell like crap to most animals
and if we can LOWER the funk we give off
it can ONLY help us!
simple logic if you ask me?

as for camo
IF you don't think scent control matters WHY would camo help then?

I have killed all sorts of critters in solid blaze orange suits, basic clothes and camo
I personally think camo make MOST hunters feel more like a hunter than it does you any good
movement if what bust you most times?
I have rifles and bows and shotguns in camo LOL
some times I carry one with it some times I don't

BUT like scent control, camo is a just another tool??
I doubt it can hurt anything, BUT your wallet!

CalHunter 09-26-2016 06:44 PM

I think a lot depends on how you hunt and where, etc. Mrbb is absolutely correct about movement getting you busted. If you're downwind of an animal, it isn't likely to catch your scent but if it sees you move, you're busted.

Reading Nomercy's description of how he hunts, scent wouldn't be a big factor in that (if I read his description correctly), a coyote would have to cross a shooting zone before it could get downwind of him. In that particular type of situation, movement would be more dangerous than scent for alerting an animal.

As for the OP's question, it sounds like your setup involves only a small opening (above the shooting rail) and any movement not in front of that shooting hole is covered. It sounds like there wouldn't be any light behind you so it would be hard for an animal to see you or your gun in your treestand. It sounds like you're probably okay but camo paint or wrapping is fairly inexpensive. If you still want another opinion, have a buddy watch and photograph you in your treestand from a distance you expect to see animals at and see for yourself what is visible and what isn't.