HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Predator Hunting Tactics, Strategies and Reference Material (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/predator-hunting-tactics-strategies-reference-material-141/)
-   -   Your personal Tips & Techniques (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/predator-hunting-tactics-strategies-reference-material/384525-your-personal-tips-techniques.html)

ChasinTail 08-28-2013 08:19 AM

Your personal Tips & Techniques

Post your area and what seems to work best for you. From your blind stand set up and location to the camo you wear and call type and duration.

Also, what types of changes you make in the different seasons.

Nomercy448 08-28-2013 11:51 AM

You'll find a few specific topics that will answer some if not all of your questions here in this sub-forum.

Answering all of that in one setting is like eating a cow...

Ultimately, there's more than one way to skin a cat, and everything that works will also NOT work sometimes. Being adaptive and intuitive about your hunting, but keeping it as simple as possible is what usually ends up being productive for calling coyotes (or any game hunting really).

The best I can answer your shotgun question "how do you call coyotes?" in shorthand is this:

Keep it simple, but strategize appropriately for 'set' placement based on the terrain and animal pattern in THAT specific area (See thread for set design).

Read the wind and LIVE BY IT.

Don't move on stand.

Prey distress sounds work almost all year, other sounds work well during certain times too (see thread for "year round call sounds").

Vary your calling sequence according to YOUR specific area/terrain, interest level, time of year, and hunting strategy. Usually less is more.

Wear camo that matches YOUR specific surroundings at that given time of year.

Calling from the ground is most common and most productive, but blind or stand calling can be effective also.

Not a lot of help, I know, but hang around long enough and you'll notice I have a bad habit of writing books on here, which I'm trying to break. Ask specific questions, get specific answers.

Sheridan 08-29-2013 04:46 PM

All great points + try to gain the high ground.

............ and expect them to "come-in" from down wind.

You'd be smart to place a decoy (stick, string, turkey feather) up-wind from your set-up (stand).

A good seat cushion & shooting stick to rest your gun on helps also.

Now, go kill a few !!!

ChasinTail 08-30-2013 02:09 AM

Thanks for the input. I'll look into the other threads.

I'm gonna go out this morning at day light and set up in a freshly cut hay field. I'm gonna use the cottontail distress and well see how it goes.

May be back with a few pictures of a coyote or come back with more questions lol

00possum 01-26-2014 07:07 PM

Central Texas
Night time only hunting
Foxpro- lightning jack, nutty nuthatch, then cotton tail dist. If nothing comes in then I play gray fox distress.
The first call lasts 8-10 min, then 5,5, then 6min until the fox stop coming

blessed n born to hunt 12-12-2016 06:21 AM

Wear camo that matches YOUR specific surroundings at that given time of year.

Calling from the ground is most common and most productive, but blind or stand calling can be effective also.

Not a lot of help, I know, but hang around long enough and you'll notice I have a bad habit of writing books on here, which I'm trying to break. Ask specific questions, get specific answers.[/QUOTE]

blessed n born to hunt 12-12-2016 06:26 AM

Got a 20 acre farm in azle texas , got a bobcat and a coyote problem , have a den , a hole in a creek I think there's a female with at least a pup from scat I found got a pic of it with something in its mouth and when I got to my tree stand something has killed and eaten a deer almost 20 yards from it, no money for calls and stuff this time of year but was thinking of bait or a rabitt call , any help would be apreciatted

CalHunter 12-12-2016 08:41 AM

Mouth calls are pretty cheap to buy. Maybe a mouse squeaker at Wally World and a bird feather on a string if you have a breeze or some wind? Or hide well without moving during their prime hunting time if you have a good idea of where they are moving on the farm.

kidoggy 12-12-2016 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by blessed n born to hunt (Post 4285135)
Got a 20 acre farm in azle texas , got a bobcat and a coyote problem , have a den , a hole in a creek I think there's a female with at least a pup from scat I found got a pic of it with something in its mouth and when I got to my tree stand something has killed and eaten a deer almost 20 yards from it, no money for calls and stuff this time of year but was thinking of bait or a rabitt call , any help would be apreciatted

try haydels game calls
www.haydel.com

318-746-3586

my go to is their baby cottontail bc-85. haven't bought one for a couple years but was only$10.95 then.
give em a call and have em send you a catalog or just do it on yer puter.
or you could try
predatortalk .com forums
many members there make custom hand calls.I have a few from several different members and they are high quality calls. two of em off the top of my head go by handle prariewolf ,or, big rowdy. and there are several more