HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Predator Hunting Tactics, Strategies and Reference Material (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/predator-hunting-tactics-strategies-reference-material-141/)
-   -   Which Camo Is Best for Predator Hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/predator-hunting-tactics-strategies-reference-material/379979-camo-best-predator-hunting.html)

CalHunter 03-17-2013 08:41 AM

Which Camo Is Best for Predator Hunting?

Note--I'm moving this question and answers from the welcome topic so members can get all of the answers together in one topic.
CalHunter

Sheridan--
I'll comment on the camo question then.

Good 3-D camo is the best, but nothing can beat remaining motionless.

It's even more important than scent IMO.

NoMercy448--
Sheridan is right about the 3D camo, which is part of the difference, in my opinion, in how to set up for coyotes versus big game/deer.

I don't want this place to end up my own personal blog, since i would 't consider myself an expert "just a peckerwood that lives in the woods with too many guns", but I have standard responses that I can expand for this and a couple other of those questions and post them up this weekend

Sheridan--
Entering a "stand" from the right direction is more important than wind.

Remaining motionless is more important than camo.

Remember the reasons for them being there (carcass, water, hunting pressure, etc) more than just territory.

Menu items includied; Baby turkeys (pults), the calfing period, and the breeding season is the best hunting of the year.............for both them & us (hopefully).

Nomercy448 03-27-2013 01:24 PM

To expand a bit on my statements CalHunter copied over:

One difference in what I wear for predators vs what I wear for big game is because of my location during the hunt. If I'm in a ground blind, I wear all black to match my blind interior, if I'm in a deer stand, I'll wear something like real-tree hardwoods with dark browns, greens, tans, and greys to match the trees I'm against, but for predators, I'm on the ground out in the open.

Being on "the ground" in kansas generally means dry grass, where light tans dominate, smattered with some faint reds/pinks, light greys, and light greens.

King's Desert Shadow camo works fantastic for blending into grasslands, Mossy Oak Duck-Blind is another one I like. Military Surplus 3color or 5color "chocolate chip" desert camo, or even multi-cam BDU's are a cheap option too as a cover-up on top of your warm hunting jackets.

3D concealment is your best route. Ghillie suits/ponchos/jackets or at least leafy jackets will help break up your figure and your shadows, and give a little more realistic wind movement to your figure (waving like the grass around you instead of being perfectly still). I'm working on a new ghillie hood, I'll try to post up some pictures of the build when I get back from Iowa next week.

Howler 04-09-2013 04:29 PM

if you plan to kill'em at further distances, camo becomes less "needed". The closer you want them or expect them to get, the more important it is and the less natural cover that you have to blend into, the more camo becomes necessary.
I've had ranchers that have joined me for some calling and all they wore was their brown carhart coveralls, and we still killed coyotes, But we also weren't letting the coyotes get in our laps before shooting them.

GTOHunter 05-03-2013 04:47 PM

I usually wear my Natural Gear Camo...it blends in well with our surroundings here in Missouri.In the Winter time and if there is finally a good snow,then the Natural Gear White Snow Camo comes out and it is very,very effective.

A cheaper route to go would be to buy some of the thin White Shirt and Pants in a larger size from the Auto Supply Stores and spray paint a little bit of sticks and leaves design on them and wear them over Your warmer winter gear to hide in the snow covered ground.

Nomercy448 10-27-2013 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by GTOHunter (Post 4055136)
A cheaper route to go would be to buy some of the thin White Shirt and Pants in a larger size from the Auto Supply Stores and spray paint a little bit of sticks and leaves design on them and wear them over Your warmer winter gear to hide in the snow covered ground.

100% agree, but be careful with which white coveralls you buy. Too thin, or wrong material (i.e. cotton) and you end up with see through coveralls as soon as they get wet in the snow, killing your snow camo. Scotch guarding the heck out of them can help, but isn't permanent.

Superman70 09-26-2016 10:37 AM

Snow camo would be a tyvek suit from lowes and some spray paint worn over my warm clothes.
I usually hunt in jeans, boots, and dark brown or grren shirts or jackets. Since I have to shave for work I consider a headnet mandatory and i wear it backwards and just look through the mesh.
Another thing that I use alot is a piece of camo fabric tie wrapped to some fiberglass poles. This way I can stick them in the ground and have 360 Degress of concealment.