Community
Predator Hunting Tactics, Strategies and Reference Material Experienced Predator hunters share what works, what you need and how to best use it.

Illinois coyote hunting question....

Old 01-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Illinois coyote hunting question....

do you have to wear orange when hunting coyote in illinois?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

During what time frame are you speaking of? If you look it up in the Il Hunting regs, you will need blaze orange on when hunting small game such as rabbit, quail and pheasant or while afield during firearms deer season. Other than those times, you do not.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

No no orange needed.. And you can only hunt yote's during gun deer season if you have an unfilled deer tag..and then yes you would need your orange.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MUZZY 100
No no orange needed.. And you can only hunt yote's during gun deer season if you have an unfilled deer tag..and then yes you would need your orange.
Best intentions to prevent poaching, I understand, but this is ridiculous. A step too far, in my opinion. The state of IL is requiring hunters to either 1) hunt a species they may not care to, or 2) pretend to want to hunt a species they may not care to. There have been a few years where I didn't buy deer tags, or didn't qualify for tags, in certain states, but I still hunted coyotes there. BS that they'd require a deer tag to hunt coyotes over any date.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

ok thanks!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MUZZY 100
You can hunt coyotes in Illinois year round!!!! EXCEPT!!!!! During firearm season it is closed to those that DO NOT HAVE A UNFILLED FIREARM DEER TAG LEFT!!!! And you can use deer slugs then to take them. It is then opened back up to everyone after 6pm of the last day of that season. It is open otherwise 1/2hr before sunrise to 1/2 after sunset.