Predator Hunting Tactics, Strategies and Reference Material Experienced Predator hunters share what works, what you need and how to best use it.

Skinning Squrrels.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Spike

I have tried that way, it does not seem to work real well for me. Mostly I now skin them when they are warm. I use a pair of side cutter pliers or butcher scissors, cut their feet, & tail off. Cut them across the back, pull the hde off then cut their head off. Gut them, put them in a plastic bag. Throw them in my game bag.Wash my hands with hand sanitizer. The whole process don't take much longer than a minute.When I get back to my truck I throw them in my cooler of ice. I think skinnning them while they are warm is the key.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nutcracker
I have tried that way, it does not seem to work real well for me. Mostly I now skin them when they are warm. I use a pair of side cutter pliers or butcher scissors, cut their feet, & tail off. Cut them across the back, pull the hde off then cut their head off. Gut them, put them in a plastic bag. Throw them in my game bag.Wash my hands with hand sanitizer. The whole process don't take much longer than a minute.When I get back to my truck I throw them in my cooler of ice. I think skinnning them while they are warm is the key.
Just don't cut deeper than the skin.
If you do then the meat pulls away, and the skin will not come off.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Spike

learned that way as a youngster from my Dad in 1963, squirrel hunting was my favorite pass time back then.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Spike

Hey everyone. Thanks for the skinning tips. I have done it several ways in the past but have finally found the fasted and cleanest way to do it. (it was mentioned already) but if you'd like to see more video and more about squirrel hunting, visit this site because it all about squirrel hunting!

If you just was to see the video im talking about click here
Old 07-11-2015, 07:42 AM
Spike

there's one guy i know of.he'll make his cuts along both legs,and onto where they meet up where the tail is.and of course cut the tail bone.and cut the feet off.then he will use 550 paracord or some rope of same thickness,to tie the legs to a clothes line post.this way the squirrel will stay put.and that allows him to use both hands for removing the skin/fur..