HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Precision and Long Range Shooting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/precision-long-range-shooting-179/)
-   -   The Baddest 7MM on the planet (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/precision-long-range-shooting/426246-baddest-7mm-planet.html)

Ridge Runner 07-17-2021 01:34 PM

The Baddest 7MM on the planet

Its called the 7mm Allen Magnum developed by Kirby Allen of Ft. Shaw MT. its basically a 338 Lapua mag. necked down and improved with a 37 degree shoulder
here it is compared to a 7mm rem. mag

It will run a 160 nosler accubond at 3600 fps, and a 195 Berger at 3300. Imagine a bullet with a BC of around .8 at that speed and your looking at an almost laser flat trajectory.
This rifle has taken over 60 whitetails by an untold number of shooters with the closest being 302 yards, out to 1,350 yards. at 600 to 800 yards its almost boring, and if you have never witnessed a impact on a deer at that speed, it is incredible. I think the first 26 deer I shot with it never moved after the impact except to fall down.

my hunting load is a 160 nosler accubond in front of 105 gr of wc872 powder which is a mil-surp powder designed for the 50 bmg and the 20mm Vulcan cannon. It is the flattest shooting 7mm hunting rifle in existence.

bronko22000 07-17-2021 03:10 PM

Whew.....that sounds awesome. I'm having trouble around my place to find enough distance to shoot my little 6.5 CM. I'd never find a place to shoot that beast without hiking up and down mountauns to set up targets.

mrbb 07-17-2021 04:13 PM

I will just say this, there is ZERO magic caliber that kills deer dead right there ALL the time

things can happen and deer can run off

I have seen (we even had it on video) a small doe (she was feeding ina food plot NOT spooked or on alert too) shot at less than a 100 yards thru the lungs and heart with a 50 BMG 750 grain soft point, 13,000 FT Lbs of energy, a hole thru is a person could throw a foot ball thru and NOT hit anything part of the deer! yet that deer ran almost a 100 yards HOW?? who know's , as all vitals were pretty much GONE shoulder bones broke as well,

and I have seen others deer run after being hit with several other VERY large, over kill, calibers for deer,
shot in the vitals(heart lungs)

IMO< sometimes < they can be dead on there feet and still run!

elkman30 07-17-2021 10:55 PM

Knowing RR, I'm betting he hits them where he should instead of outside the kill zone like a lot of people. 26 DRT kills is a pretty good record. even at 1300yards, he's still hitting a critter with a ton and half of energy.

mrbb 07-18-2021 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by elkman30 (Post 4394642)
Knowing RR, I'm betting he hits them where he should instead of outside the kill zone like a lot of people. 26 DRT kills is a pretty good record. even at 1300yards, he's still hitting a critter with a ton and half of energy.

I am NOT discrediting his shooting skills
I have also killed hundreds of deer and a large portion of them have died where they stood never moving(even some show with bow and arrow) so I also know where to aim and do a good job of putting tings there

but some times they STILL run, condition of animal and sometimes, I have NO answer to WHY they were able to move !

NO caliber is 100% perfect is all I am saying!

hubby11 07-18-2021 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4394637)
I will just say this, there is ZERO magic caliber that kills deer dead right there ALL the time

things can happen and deer can run off

I have seen (we even had it on video) a small doe (she was feeding ina food plot NOT spooked or on alert too) shot at less than a 100 yards thru the lungs and heart with a 50 BMG 750 grain soft point, 13,000 FT Lbs of energy, a hole thru is a person could throw a foot ball thru and NOT hit anything part of the deer! yet that deer ran almost a 100 yards HOW?? who know's , as all vitals were pretty much GONE shoulder bones broke as well,

and I have seen others deer run after being hit with several other VERY large, over kill, calibers for deer,
shot in the vitals(heart lungs)

IMO< sometimes < they can be dead on there feet and still run!

I agree with the above. I have shot smallish does at less than 50 yards, jellified their insides and yet they still run over 100 yards just like you said. But I think sometimes shooting at significant range, with proper shot placement, can increase the odds of DRTs. The reason being, the deer is less likely to associate being shot with the rapport of the rifle and less likely to have an "adrenaline run."

Ridge Runner 07-18-2021 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by hubby11 (Post 4394651)
I agree with the above. I have shot smallish does at less than 50 yards, jellified their insides and yet they still run over 100 yards just like you said. But I think sometimes shooting at significant range, with proper shot placement, can increase the odds of DRTs. The reason being, the deer is less likely to associate being shot with the rapport of the rifle and less likely to have an "adrenaline run."

Every one I ever shot at beyond 500 yards that ran were hit in the lungs, the couple bad hits I have made, they never ran at all, take a few steps and lay down.

Nomercy448 07-18-2021 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by hubby11 (Post 4394651)
I think sometimes shooting at significant range, with proper shot placement, can increase the odds of DRTs. The reason being, the deer is less likely to associate being shot with the rapport of the rifle and less likely to have an "adrenaline run."

Without a doubt. The same “phenomenon” is observed when hunting with suppressors. Even shooting super-sonic ammunition with considerable blast, game often simply doesn’t realize the source of the sound, or maybe not even realize there was any sound made other than the sound of the bullet hitting their body (pretty common to hear the fleshy “thwap” of the bullet impact), so they might trot or stagger in any direction at all, and be alerted, but not alarmed.

Considering that bullet is arriving at 1300yrds a full 2 seconds before the sound of its report, the deer already has more pressing matters on its mind by the time it hears the blast of the rifle.

If you’ve never worked long range butts, it can be a bit disorienting when you hear the whiz and whap of the bullets incoming and impacting the targets before you hear the blast following along behind it. It really gives perspective to the fact bullets really are flying faster than the speed of sound when you’re on that end, with enough flight time for the two to noticeably separate.

bronko22000 07-19-2021 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4394652)
Every one I ever shot at beyond 500 yards that ran were hit in the lungs, the couple bad hits I have made, they never ran at all, take a few steps and lay down.

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4394680)
Without a doubt. The same “phenomenon” is observed when hunting with suppressors. Even shooting super-sonic ammunition with considerable blast, game often simply doesn’t realize the source of the sound, or maybe not even realize there was any sound made other than the sound of the bullet hitting their body (pretty common to hear the fleshy “thwap” of the bullet impact), so they might trot or stagger in any direction at all, and be alerted, but not alarmed.

Considering that bullet is arriving at 1300yrds a full 2 seconds before the sound of its report, the deer already has more pressing matters on its mind by the time it hears the blast of the rifle.

If you’ve never worked long range butts, it can be a bit disorienting when you hear the whiz and whap of the bullets incoming and impacting the targets before you hear the blast following along behind it. It really gives perspective to the fact bullets really are flying faster than the speed of sound when you’re on that end, with enough flight time for the two to noticeably separate.

I agree with both of you. I've had many similar instances with archery equipment shooting a 2 blade sharp broadhead behind the shoulder and not hitting a rib and watch the deer take 2 or 3 bounds then stand there a few seconds and fall over. They have no idea what had just happened. Like maybe they were stung by a bee or something.
As for DRT I must have shot 30 deer or so with a 243 Win and standard Hornady 100 gr Interlock bullet and they fell like hit with a sledge hammer. I've only ever had one run and needed a second shot and that was due to a faulty bullet that fragmented on impact. The 270 Win also accounted for many DRT kills. The only deer that ever ran off sans the one mentioned above was one hit with a 308 thru the heart and he ran for about 50-60 yards before piling up.

elkman30 07-19-2021 06:28 AM

This topic has followed a familiar pattern. Somebody posts about their caliber with results in the field and then gets told that no caliber is a "magic bullet" for killing deer. I like reading about different calibers, rifles and their hunting efficacy. It doesn't mean I'm going to buy or build one but it's fun to read about them. I have not and will not use the ignore button but I find myself glossing over or sometimes totally bypassing some members who seem determined to present a buzz kill opinion about almost anything. OTOH, thanks RR for posting a topic about a caliber that will likely never show up in canned gun mags or any other reading material. I enjoyed reading about it and your experiences with the caliber.