Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Precision and Long Range Shooting
6.5 Creedmoor vs 308 Winchester: A Battle of Ballistic Coefficients >

6.5 Creedmoor vs 308 Winchester: A Battle of Ballistic Coefficients

Community
Precision and Long Range Shooting Living the Long Range Precision Life: gear, rifles, reloading, tricks, and tips.

6.5 Creedmoor vs 308 Winchester: A Battle of Ballistic Coefficients

Old 07-07-2021, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

No I came onto this thread to point out there is nothing magical about the Creed. And I have provided data to prove it. You on the other hand still have not been able to refute it. You continue to say the Creed can do something the Swede cannot. But you haven't shown me that. Both are 6.5mm. Both shoot exactly the same bullets. Both are able to launch then at the same velocity. Both can be sighted in exactly the same. The end result of the bullet when it hits the target will be the same. So tell me "Genius" what can the Creed do that the Swede can't? Or that the 260 can't? Or that the 6.5x57 can't? Or that the 6.5x68 can't? Or that the 6.5 Rem Mag can't? Or that the 264 Win Mag can't? It simply cannot do a thing the others can't also do. They are all capable of firing the same bullet at the same velocity and will produce the same results. Physics prove that but that seems to escape you.

I have neither any hate nor love for the Creed. I don't care how many of them they sell or don't sell. It will not do anything that a rifle I already own won't do. To claim it will is folly and stupid. There is no magic in the Creed all there is, is a bunch of hype and you're not honest enough to admit it. The Creed exists solely to sell rifles and it does not fill any niche that was needing filled. PERIOD.

The 308 didn’t do anything the 30-06 wasn’t already doing, nor the .30-06 anything the .30-03 wasn’t doing, the 300win Mag, 300 wsm, 300 Savage, 300 H&H, etc etc etc... The 7-08 didn’t do anything the 7x57 wasn’t doing, but we have 7RM, 280, 7wsm, 284win.... The 6.5 creed was just another 6.5mm cartridge, and everything good you can say about the Swede or the 260 is true about the 6.5 creed as well.
The above is the only intelligent thing you have posted on this topic and you are making my point even if you're not intelligent enough to see that. There is no magic in any of those but none of them have been subjected to the hype of the Creed. I have already stated the Creed is no better and no worse than any other 6.5. But you seem to think it is "special" when your own posting just showed the error in that concept.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nobody - except you - has claimed any magic is bestowed upon the 6.5 creed.

You’re arguing with yourself and your imaginary friends here. Nobody cares that you like your Swede better than the creed. Millions of people bought the Creed because of what it can do, and the fact so many cartridges do the same thing proves what the Creed does is useful for a lot of folks.

This deviation is why:

1) I hate the fact so many blogs like this one insist on regurgitating the same crap about 308 vs. 6.5 creed still after so many years - it ONLY serves as a breeding ground for luddites to thump their chest that “my old cartridge is still as good...” and no other purpose.

2) I had Flags on my ignore list for several years. I’m honestly not sure how that was undone, and I’m quite disappointed to find it was.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Nobody - except you - has claimed any magic is bestowed upon the 6.5 creed.

Yet here you are arguing about it trying to give it powers it simply does not have.

You’re arguing with yourself and your imaginary friends here. Nobody cares that you like your Swede better than the creed. Millions of people bought the Creed because of what it can do, and the fact so many cartridges do the same thing proves what the Creed does is useful for a lot of folks.

You must care. Otherwise you wouldn't have rogered up your weak replies time after time. Millions bought into the hype despite there being calibers already available that did exactly the same thing.

This deviation is why:

1) I hate the fact so many blogs like this one insist on regurgitating the same crap about 308 vs. 6.5 creed still after so many years - it ONLY serves as a breeding ground for luddites to thump their chest that “my old cartridge is still as good...” and no other purpose.

I haven't made a single mention about the 308 on this thread. However the OP did and if you really had as much angst about it then why are you even on this thread? Somebody hold a gun on you or something? And you still have not given a single reason why the Creed is superior to the Swede. Even the loading data shows there is no benefit.

2) I had Flags on my ignore list for several years. I’m honestly not sure how that was undone, and I’m quite disappointed to find it was.

Then do us both a favor and put me back on it. You must not be that "disappointed" because you have been commenting right along even on posts where I was the OP. So I'm hoisting a BS flag on you again.
You Sir are the very epitome of pathetic. I have noticed on the reloading pages here that you seem to think only your viewpoint is correct. Newsflash: you just ain't that bright. Now lets see if you put me on ignore or if you respond yet again. Balls in your court Otis.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

for what its worth after reading years of posts NM has forgotten more about ballistics and and cartridges than the meme queen ever will, sorry to impose but I also know just a bit about guns and cartridges!
Old 07-07-2021, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
for what its worth after reading years of posts NM has forgotten more about ballistics and and cartridges than the meme queen ever will, sorry to impose but I also know just a bit about guns and cartridges!
The difference is I don't claim to know everything about it. But the comments I made on this thread are valid. Can you refute what I posted? Yes or no.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
The difference is I don't claim to know everything about it. But the comments I made on this thread are valid. Can you refute what I posted? Yes or no.
Ok, not refuting anything except this thread was not about the swede, it was about comparing the creed to the 308, I did not inject an argument about my favorite cartridge because this thread does not pertain to it. but NM made valid points if you were paying attention. the creed does as well as the swede in a lighter rifle and burns less powder, you just can't argue with that, its a fact!
Old 07-10-2021, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Which merely proves the fact that it does not do anything better than other cartridges. It equals them but does not surpass them and if you took the time to read my posts the Swede was only on chambering I mentioned. I also mentioned the 260 Rem and the 6.5 Rem Mag and what you just said about the Creed does not hold up against the 260 or the 6.5 Mag but they never got hyped up in the same manner.

Bottom line is the Creed has benefitted from hype but does not bring anything magical to the table and if someone owns one of the other rounds it brings no benefit. Neither you nor NM have been able to refute that. Saying it will do the same thing as the other cartridges is basically admitting that it is the equal of other cartridges and not superior. As a simple matter of fact both the 260 Rem and the 6.5 Rem Mag are both short action 6.5 cartridges that were available before the Creed and were designed to give Swede performance in a short action and both have the same if not even better ballistics than the Creed but they were released without the same level of hype and therefore did not enjoy the same popularity.

Like it or not, those are the simple facts of the matter.

Last edited by flags; 07-10-2021 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-10-2021, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Which merely proves the fact that it does not do anything better than other cartridges. It equals them but does not surpass them and if you took the time to read my posts the Swede was only on chambering I mentioned. I also mentionedthe 260 Rem and the 6.5 Rem Mag and what you just said about the Creed does not hold ip against the 260 or the 6.5 Mag but they never got hyped up.

Bottom line is the Creed has benefitted from hype but does not bring anything magical to the table and if someone owns one of the other rounds it brings no benefit. Neither you nor NM have been able to refute thst.
The only one who has mentioned magic is you! nobody has to refute anything, the creed operates at higher pressure so gives the same performance with a smaller capacity case, operates at top level performance in a short action, the 260, both 6.5's do not, using 140 gr bullets the 260 rem. will use up a good bit of powder space for bullet storage in a short action. so why would anyone use the swede or the 260 in a long action when there is the 6.5/06, or the 6.5 Gibbs which will outrun the 264 win mag by 200 fps using 9 gr. less powder.
another point is how many rifles are available today in the chamberings you are touting as just as good? if you don't want a creed, don't get one, if you don't have a 6.5 and want one there are a bunch of rifles chambered for the creed. how many 6.5x55 are available? 260? 6.5 rem mag?
Old 07-10-2021, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I want you to engage your grey matter for a moment if that is even remotely possible.

How many of this sort of thread have you seen comparing the 308 to the Creed? Lots right? Why? Do you ever remember seeing one comparing the 308 to the 260 Rem? Or the 6.5 Rem Mag? Why not? Why the hype about the Creed when both the 260 and the 6.5 Mag predate it and are equal to or even actually better ballistically? Nosler loading data shows the 6.5 Rem Mag pushing a 140 gr bullet 250 fps faster than the Creed. Don't believe me, look it up. So is the Creed fanaticism "magic" or is it hype? Nobody seems to be able to tell me what the "magic" is and that's my point. The Creed is not magic and it does not do anything a number of other cartridges do but they never got the hype. By your own post it will do the same thing the others do but it does not do anything they can't do. Get it?

Perhaps you haven't noticed that I do not place any "magic" on the Creed nor do I buy into the hype. The Creed does 1 thing and only 1 thing better than the 260 Rem and the 6.5 Mag (add the 6.5x57, 6.5x68, 264 Win Mag to that list) and that is sell rifles simply due to the hype. I don't add the Swede on that list because it has been around long enough as a military round that there are probably a few million rifles chambered in the Swede world wide (most of them in Europe) and the Creed won't best that number in my life time. You do know the Swede was a military rifle don't you and that there are huge numbers overseas don't you? Or are you one of those shooters that cannot think past the USA? Ever been to Europe? Or Africa? Or Asia? Ever hunted and shot in those places? You haven't have you. Perhaps you fail to understand metric calibers and where they are used in the greatest numbers?

I keep asking what the "magic" is since the Creed is the only 6.5 caliber that has got the hype. The only honest answer is that it has no "magic" just a lot of hype and that again is my point. And here's a newsflash, I don't give a rip if you agree with me or not. Your opinion holds zero value to me on this subject.

Last edited by flags; 07-10-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I want you to engage your grey matter for a moment if that is even remotely possible.

How many of this sort of thread have you seen comparing the 308 to the Creed? Lots right? Why? Do you ever remember seeing one comparing the 308 to the 260 Rem? Or the 6.5 Rem Mag? Why not? Why the hype about the Creed when both the 260 and the 6.5 Mag predate it and are equal to or even actually better ballistically? Nosler loading data shows the 6.5 Rem Mag pushing a 140 gr bullet 250 fps faster than the Creed. Don't believe me, look it up. So is the Creed fanaticism "magic" or is it hype? Nobody seems to be able to tell me what the "magic" is and that's my point. The Creed is not magic and it does not do anything a number of other cartridges do but they never got the hype. By your own post it will do the same thing the others do but it does not do anything they can't do. Get it?

Perhaps you haven't noticed that I do not place any "magic" on the Creed nor do I buy into the hype. The Creed does 1 thing and only 1 thing better than the 260 Rem and the 6.5 Mag (add the 6.5x57, 6.5x68, 264 Win Mag to that list) and that is sell rifles simply due to the hype. I don't add the Swede on that list because it has been around long enough as a military round that there are probably a few million rifles chambered in the Swede world wide (most of them in Europe) and the Creed won't best that number in my life time. You do know the Swede was a military rifle don't you and that there are huge numbers overseas don't you? Or are you one of those shooters that cannot think past the USA? Ever been to Europe? Or Africa? Or Asia? Ever hunted and shot in those places? You haven't have you. Perhaps you fail to understand metric calibers and where they are used in the greatest numbers?

I keep asking what the "magic" is since the Creed is the only 6.5 caliber that has got the hype. The only honest answer is that it has no "magic" just a lot of hype and that again is my point. And here's a newsflash, I don't give a rip if you agree with me or not. Your opinion holds zero value to me on this subject.
You need to bleach the mold off your so called grey matter, you got online learned to meme and now your an expert on the net, nobody here claims there is anything extra special about the 6.5 creed, its just a modern cartridge (less body taper, sharper shoulders so it can handle higher pressures than the other 6.5's you mention, they shoot the same bullet at the same speed with less powder. but to take advantage of the BC of the .264 bullets you need more cubic inches for a hunting round. BC does not have much effect on the bullets flight till around 600 yards, at the range the creed is running low on steam for big game hunting. I have a creed, am not that impressed but for normal hunting it does as well as the 260, swede, etc. Now what you have to realize is the fact that the way information flows on the net you have to figure out what info is accurate and what is what you call hype. There are those who have never fired a decent rifle who went out and bought a creed, and touted their results on the www. and then a bunch of unknowings followed suit, those with knowledge and common sense can filter it out, and disregard it, but you have to buck up to everyone who picks out what is good about the cartridge because as NM stated it is as good as your beloved swede and has a couple point advantage. in a custom cut min spec chamber in the right hands it can be loaded to a significant advantage over the swede due to its case design for reasons I have stated above, your not believing the hype, neither are we, just stating facts about the differences.
Its how information goes on the net, folks with education but zero experience making statements which are correct in they're opinion but factually incorrect, ya need to learn to filter facts from BS, instead of dwelling on them just because someone points out the good points of the cartridge.
I remember when the 17 HMR was first introduced, the first post I read on HNI about it stated "suitable for small game varmints and edible game up to and including smaller subspecies of deer" common sense says a highly volatile 17 gr. v-max at 2500 fps is not in any way, shape, or for a deer round. I bought one when the started making decent hunting ammo and have used it with good success on game up to coyote size, and have taken a couple deer with it on damage permits. All in all my point is, just cause its on the net doesn't make it a fact!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.