HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Precision and Long Range Shooting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/precision-long-range-shooting-179/)
-   -   This should be good (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/precision-long-range-shooting/425938-should-good.html)

bronko22000 06-09-2021 04:11 AM

This should be good

Its good to finally get a long range forum on the site. I am also a member of another sited dedicated to long range hunting and shooting. I learned quite a bit over there. I started getting into shooting long range last year but things have been stalled lately with all the muzzleloader shooting I've been doing and also that I haven't found a place where I can shoot very far.
I have a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor that is a very accurate rifle. After about 6 months of load development I finally found a load that it really likes (although it shot everything good). This load shoot consistent 1/4-1/2 MOA.
I'd be happy to share what I've learned with fellow members.

CalHunter 06-09-2021 08:19 AM

Please do share. That's what this forum is for. NoMercy448 is going to start posting some projects, competitions, etc. The idea for this forum was NoMercy's so kudos to him. Maybe we could also get Ridge Runner and a few of the other long range guys to post some stuff.

bronko22000 06-09-2021 11:42 AM

Hey Cal those 2 guys gave me pointers as well. I'll just wait for questions to come up before providing any info. This topic can get pretty specific.

Nomercy448 06-09-2021 08:30 PM

I gotta apologize for not getting some of the topics posted I have in mind to kick this off already, but I gotta say Cal and the crew ran with the idea and put together the new space in a jiffy!

Most of what I will be sharing is simply musings, as my son and I live the long range life together, which might be of interest - if nothing else, help show folks how attainable these things really are. For example, I set up my hyrdoforming press in the garage this evening and will be cranking out brass for my Dasher and doing load work up and barrel break in this weekend, in prep for a National level PRS match in 3wks (sub-optimal timing!!!). So I’ll share those topics as I can in the next few days and weeks, and I have projects and matches lined up coming behind it all, so I’ll share everything I can to hopefully intrigue and inspire - and maybe even draw advice for how to improve on what I’m doing too!

Ridge Runner 06-10-2021 04:11 PM

I used to post about my long range experiences, took a lot of slack for it, so much so I deleted 9000 posts, not sure I will go there again.

CalHunter 06-10-2021 08:04 PM

I know. There were some short sighted people on here. We all have our preferred ways of hunting, shooting, sports we're interested in, etc. Shooting down (no pun intended) another hunter, shooter or 2A supporter just because they do something a little different, like something a little different or just plain have somewhat different interests is plain dumb. We do not have a surplus of hunters, shooters or 2A people. Driving any of them off is plain dumb. I understand why you stopped posting but hope you can be convinced to change your mind. No pressure and I'll accept and understand whichever way you decide on this. I hope you contribute because you like NM448 and others have skillsets and gifts that are in need and definitely bring a lot to the table. If you're posting here, I will have your back. Cal

bronko22000 01-03-2023 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4392886)
I know. There were some short sighted people on here.

Considering the title of this forum - was that "short sighted" people comment a pun? LOL

Nomercy448 01-04-2023 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4408857)
Considering the title of this forum - was that "short sighted" people comment a pun? LOL

Haha!

Admittedly, after begging to have this sub-forum created, and having promised a handful of threads to help fill it, I’ve not delivered on this sub-forum the way I had intended, and have honestly been avoiding HNI altogether lately just to avoid the daily advertising blasts of a certain vomitous user. So maybe I was also short-sighted in committing to content creation.

CalHunter 01-05-2023 09:02 PM

But they are so much fun to deconstruct. :s4:

bronko22000 01-06-2023 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4408887)
Haha!
Admittedly, after begging to have this sub-forum created, and having promised a handful of threads to help fill it, I’ve not delivered on this sub-forum the way I had intended, and have honestly been avoiding HNI altogether lately just to avoid the daily advertising blasts of a certain vomitous user. So maybe I was also short-sighted in committing to content creation.

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4408914)
But they are so much fun to deconstruct. :s4:

I don't even bother reading those anymore because they are simply filled with cut and paste nonsense that a lot of times is incorrect. The OP can't even form his/her own opinion. Comes off as an expert while sitting at a desk likely doing nothing but reading.
I may not be any good at it but I really like shooting itty bitty things at a far distance and watching them get smacked. Sort of like when my uncle and I would go groundhog hunting with our S&W 29s. We did get some but not many. We'd see one in the field 200 or more yards out and whoever's turn it was would get out and usually prone on sand bags take a crack at it. The other guy would be the spotter. More often than not, after the shot, we would say something like, "I almost got that one" or "boy that was close". A good solid hit was a time for celebration. Those 240 gr HPs would do a number on a woodchuck! It was a lot of fun. I miss that guy.