Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 New rules...for now >

New rules...for now

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

New rules...for now

Old 03-16-2005, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default New rules...for now

Ohio law would regulate eBay sellers

Law may require costly, time-consuming auction license for Ohio online sellers; changes vowed.
March 7, 2005: 7:24 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Ohio residents selling goods on eBay would have to get a license and be bonded under a law set to go into effect May 2, although authors of the legislation vow to make changes before that date to exempt individuals.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that the law, signed by Gov. Robert Taft on Feb. 1, was meant to insure that auctioneers were abiding by the established rules and regulations. The law, as written, requires Ohio residents who sell products online to get a state auction license.

Besides costing $200 and posting a $50,000 bond, the license requires a one-year apprenticeship to a licensed auctioneer, acting as a bid-caller in 12 auctions, attending an approved auction school, passing a written and oral exam. Failure to get a license could result in the seller being fined up to $1,000 and jailed for a maximum of 90 days.

The primary author of the legislation, State Sen. Larry Mumper, told the paper the legislature never intended it to apply to individuals selling items over eBay. But Mumper, while vowing changes, couldn't say exactly who would or would not be exempt from the license requirement under any changes in the pending law.

"It certainly will not apply to the casual seller on eBay, but might apply to anyone who sells a lot," he said. "If someone buys and sells on eBay on a regular basis as a type of business, then there is a need for regulation."

Kathy Greer, senior editor of UnRavel the Gavel, a newspaper covering the New England auction market, told the Plain Dealer that similar regulation efforts are under way in Tennessee and Illinois, but that past efforts have always either been withdrawn or left unenforced due to public outcry over the restrictions.

Hani Durzy, eBay spokesman, said the company has reviewed Ohio's law and is not concerned.

"We do not believe the law applies to people who sell items on eBay or to eBay itself," he told the paper.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New rules...for now

Ok. That's just plain stupid. Sellers aren't the auctioneers, ebay is. If I want to auction off my house, I sign a contract with an auctioneer. I don't have to become an auctioneer. This is stupid.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Oh sure.... we got thousands of illegal immigrants, hundreds of terrorist, rapist, murders etc etc running around the country and Ohio is going to go after Granny trying to sell her husbands fishing pole? I don't think so. EBAY would take it to court and shut it down in a heart beat.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just another idiotic law to squeeze more money form the common folk !!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard of. Sounds like a way for the state to pick up some more easy money![:'(]
Old 03-16-2005, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

State Sen. Larry Mumper, Gov. Robert Taft: Two of the Ohio Democratic party's best friends.

there is a need for regulation
And then there will be the follow up, "There is need for an additional tax."

This makes me sick.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-16-2005, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

It may appear silly, but...

Ebay has changed America. Among the mostly honest people trading there, are those that will rip off anyone that they can and will do so with regularity.

Ebay does have what is essentially full-time unlicensed auctioneers. Auctioneers are licensed for a reason.

At time goes on, this may become necessary and commonplace.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:02 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-16-2005, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: vc1111

It may appear silly, but...

Ebay has changed America. Among the mostly honest people trading there, are those that will rip off anyone that they can and will do so with regularity.

Ebay does have what is essentially full-time unlicensed auctioneers. Auctioneers are licensed for a reason.

At time goes on, this may become necessary and commonplace.
VC, if you want to hold an auction, shouldn't your contract with an auctioneer be enough? If one of your loved ones passes away, and you are named executor of the estate, and you want to hold an auction, should it cost you thousands of dollars and a year of apprenticeship?

Quick Reply: New rules...for now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.