Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Angelic man shot and killed in Milwaukee >

Angelic man shot and killed in Milwaukee

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Angelic man shot and killed in Milwaukee

Old 03-08-2005, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default Angelic man shot and killed in Milwaukee

My God, have you ever seen such a puff piece in your life? This guy tried to run someone over, I feel about as close to zero sympathy for the victim as I can.

If he was such a fine, upstanding (illegal) member of society, why was his fiancee's first reaction that he might be in jail?

Sheesh

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/mar05/307693.asp

Shooting ends couple's future
Scant details released about police killing of immigrant, 25
By GEORGIA PABST and JOHN DIEDRICH
[email protected]
Posted: March 7, 2005

The man who was shot and killed by an off-duty Milwaukee police officer early Sunday was an illegal Mexican immigrant who had a new job and had planned to marry the mother of his two daughters.

Veronica Gonsalez (above) talks Monday about her fianc√©, Wilbert Javier Prado. The couple recently had moved to Milwaukee from Racine, and they were excited about Prado‚Äôs new job as a roofer. ‚ÄúHe was a fun guy, outgoing, who loved to eat and who loved kids, especially his daughters,‚ÄĚ she said.

Wilbert Javier Prado, 25, came to Milwaukee six years ago from his home in Veracruz to work, said his fiancée, Veronica Gonsalez, 23, as she sat in a duplex on W. Windlake Ave. on Monday. The couple had moved to Racine a year ago but returned to Milwaukee because job prospects in Racine were poor. Prado had gotten a roofing job here that paid $11 an hour.

"We were all excited about his new job, because it was more opportunity for us," she said. "We were doing to get married and buy furniture. . . . He didn't own any guns. He wasn't in a gang. He was a father who worked hard and took care of us."

Saturday night, Prado went to a friend's house to meet other pals from his native Veracruz, she said.

"I told him if he decided to go somewhere else to call me," Gonsalez said. He never called, and she grew angry when he didn't show up and the night wore on.

"At first I thought he had been pulled over by the police and was in jail," she said, adding he didn't have a driver's license. She said she called jails in Racine and Milwaukee, then went looking for the van he drove.

She checked with friends, but no one had seen him.

When police came to Gonsalez's house Sunday night, she thought he had been taken to jail. Instead, police delivered the news that Prado had been shot and killed by an off-duty police officer.
Questions raised

On Monday, Gonsalez and friends made arrangements for a local memorial and to ship the body to Prado's parents in Mexico. She, her mother and friends said they were trying to piece together what had happened.

"He wouldn't pull over to talk to strangers because he speaks almost no English," she said. "And he doesn't talk to African-Americans (the off-duty officer is African-American) unless he has to. They said he was running away, and he probably was. If he saw someone who was black, not in uniform, with a gun telling him to stop when he doesn't understand English, he wouldn't stop; he would run."District Attorney E. Michael McCann agreed to an inquest at the family's request.

Police did not release the name of the off-duty officer and did not give a reason for denying the request.

A department source identified the officer as 34-year-old Alfonzo Glover, who has been with the force for four years.
The police version

Deputy Chief Brian O'Keefe gave this account of the killing:

The officer was driving home in his car at 12:15 a.m. after working at District 3. A GMC Safari van began tailgating him on the freeway and flashing high-beam lights. The officer said he didn't recall cutting off the vehicle or any other incident.

The officer left the freeway, and the van followed. The officer said he circled a block near S. 9th St. and W. Ohio Ave. and then slowed to let the van pass.

"The officer said he didn't know why anyone would follow him," O'Keefe said.

The officer got out of his car to either wave the man by or ask him if there was a problem. The van came to a stop but quickly accelerated, hitting the officer and then slamming into two vehicles. The officer said that the suspect then turned back toward the officer and pointed what looked like a gun.

The officer fired at the man, who got out of the van and ran. The officer chased him, believing he still had a gun. The officer shot and killed the suspect in an alley. O'Keefe declined to say how many shots were fired.

Police did not recover a gun on the man.

The officer said he did not recognize the man. Officials were researching whether the officer has had contact with the man.O'Keefe said more information about the shooting would be released, but not until the investigation is complete.

O'Keefe said no officer wants to shoot anyone.

"Officers have to protect themselves," he said. "We have to do what we have to do to keep ourselves safe."Gonsalez said she wants answers.

Her friend, Michelle Mendoza, said: "We're worried. . . . We seem to have a problem in the city of Milwaukee with closing our eyes in police shootings. Weren't there other alternatives? The police officer didn't act very professional."Police said Prado had several aliases, but Gonsalez said they were variations of his name that he used when he was pulled over by police.

She said Prado had not had major trouble with the law, but he had been arrested about five years ago for stealing deodorant from a supermarket.

"He was a fun guy, outgoing, who loved to eat and who loved kids, especially his daughters," she said.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:28 AM

Default RE: Angelic man shot and killed in Milwaukee

Carpie,

I put this up under the "warm and fuzzy" thread.

The "author" of this piece has to know me pretty well, Georgia Pabst gets nasty grams from me every time she writes one of these heart rending pieces of ****.

This morning I already mailed her and asked her if she could be more accurate in her headlines and not use "immigrant" rather be precise and call him an ILLEGAL ALIEN.

then I accused her of writing for Pravda.

he he
Old 03-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Prado flashed his highbeams on and off at the cop on the freeway and then followed the cop off the freeway and around the block. The cop stopped his car and got out. Prado deliberately accelerated his vehicle and hit the cop with his van and then hit 2 parked vehicles. Prado turned his van around and aimed it at the cop again. This is a clear cut shooting situation if I ever saw one. Doesn't matter if you're an off-duty cop or a citizen. Regardless of what did or didn't happen on the freeway, you don't resolve your problems or complaints by running somebody over.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I too have no sympathy for the dead Illegal Alien. He has been here 6 years and can't speak english, had no driver's license and used a car as a weapon to inflict bodily harm. Boo-Hoo......I would of shot him too! JMO
Old 03-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

The police officer didn't act very professional."
I want to know how you are supposed to act, police or not, if a guy in a car is trying to kill you with said car !!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I want to know how you are supposed to act, police or not, if a guy in a car is trying to kill you with said car !!!!
The officer hit who he was aiming for--doesn't get much more professional than that.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the officer was in the right because as the son of a law officer, something like that is a professional yet tragic yes. I have no sympathy for the 'victim' but i my heart goes out to the little girls though.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. Illegal alien, who can't speak english. Hmmmm, I wonder if this is good enough proof to learn the language? I just feel bad for the mans kids. They are always the ones that end up getting hurt the most when adults make stupid a$$ decisions.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:54 PM

His first mistake was crossing the border ILLEGALLY
Old 03-08-2005, 02:19 PM

I just got my return email from Georgia Pabst, what a smarmy broad !!

I responded and asked if she could include information like WHO THIS ILLEGAL'S "employer" was so I could disseminate the information to the people and the proper authorities..

bet she don't get back to me.

Quick Reply: Angelic man shot and killed in Milwaukee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.