Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Wolves !!!!!

Old 11-19-2004, 09:40 AM

Default Wolves !!!!!

Time for some serious help. People we need to come together to stop the goverment from putting more wolves out there. I myself will write a letter this weekend which will be sent to NM game commision, governor, representatives. Also will going to start a petition.

"ALBUQUERQUE - A U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologist says returning wolves to the Rocky Mountains is "a chance to undo a great wrong" done when wolves were exterminated from about 98 percent of their range by the mid-1900s.

Steve Fritts said he believes the region from northern New Mexico stretching into Colorado and Wyoming could support wolves. Recent scientific studies by the federal government and independent groups suggest it could support as many as 1,100 wolves. About 60 percent of the 108,000-square-mile area is public land."

From Silver City Sun-News

Man says wolves attacked hunting hounds
By By Levi Hill
Nov 9, 2004, 11:24 pm

A Grant County man said he may sue the state after his hunting hounds were attacked by a pack of wolves Sunday morning while trailing a bear near the Gila Cliff Dwellings.
Billy Lee, 44, a Mimbres resident and 15-year hunting outfitter, said several of his hunting hounds were attacked by wolves in the Brushy Mountain area just south of the cliff dwellings around 10 a.m. Lee said two of the dogs were severely injured in the attack and may have died had he not been close by when the attack occurred.
“The luckiest thing about this was that the dogs were tracking the bear and got balled up and I was able to catch up to them on horseback,” Lee said. “I thought the dogs were fighting a bear when I first heard them.”
Lee said there were seven wolves in the pack, and three were attacking his lead male and female hound. At least one wolf was wearing a GPS tracking collar.
Lee said the male hound is valued at nearly $2,500 and the female, an imported Jage Terrier, was used for breeding and the puppies were selling for $400 each.
Lee said he scared the wolves off by running toward them and firing his .357 over their heads.
“I fired a shot into the tree above them and they didn’t even look up,” Lee said. “I got closer and fired a shot right over them and they took off. They didn’t run, though, they just trotted off.”
Lee said he still fears the dogs may not survive and the female may no longer be able to have puppies if she lives.
U.S. Fish and Wildlife officials said Monday that given the location of the incident and the tracked movements of wolf packs in the Gila Wilderness, the Saddle Pack wolf pack was responsible for the attack.
The pack, consisting of an alpha male and female and five puppies, was moved to the area from Arizona in August after it was found responsible for several cattle killings.
The pack’s original alpha male, wolf 574, was killed in a government control operation in June and replaced with a new male when the pack was moved into the Gila Wilderness. Wildlife officials said all five puppies and the female are collared.
John Oakleaf, field coordinator for Fish and Wildlife, said the wolves were released with collars in August, but the male’s collar came loose sometime after the release.
Wildlife officials said Monday that the incident is being looked into, but no plans have been made to move or eliminate the wolves at this time.
“This is one incident,” said Susan MacMullin, field supervisor with the New Mexico Ecological Field Office. “In this instance we are moving into the breeding season and the pack had puppies with them that the adults would want to protect within their own territory.”
MacMullin said the pack would have attacked dogs, coyotes or other wolves it saw as a threat in its territory. She said it is unlikely Lee will be reimbursed by the department for the medical expenses for his dogs because they are not “working dogs,” like those used to herd sheep or cattle. MacMullin said she will contact the Defenders of Wildlife to see if Lee could get reimbursed through them.
Colleen Buchanan, assistant Mexican wolf recovery coordinator, said the location of the Saddle Pack in the Gila Wilderness is “perfect” and the incident has not spawned any plans to move or kill the wolves. She said there should be only minimal concern to hikers and campers with dogs in that area of the Wilderness.
“If wolves are there and a person has a dog, there is a concern,” Buchanan said. “The person needs to keep the dog on a leash and that should curtail the wolf from coming close. This is only one case.”
Oakleaf said it usually requires multiple incidents before a decision to move or kill the wolves is made, and this is the first in the area. Oakleaf said wolf attacks on humans have occurred in Canada, but are rare.
“Human attacks ... are usually the result of people doing something they shouldn’t, like when people feed bears,” he said.
Michael Robinson, coordinator for the Center for Biological Diversity, said the incident is “not unexpected” because wolves are very territorial, but the incident requires tolerance.
“The Mexican gray wolf is the most imperiled animal in North American and it behooves us to give them the room they need to roam,” Robinson said. “They need a little human tolerance.”
Some residents around the Gila Wilderness are not as forgiving of the incident.
“It is typical that we get all the problem animals,” Chloride resident Laura Schneberger said. “We won’t have any hunting in this area in a year or two or any livestock for that matter.”
Lee said he, too, has changed his stance on wolves in the wilderness and will be seeking amends.
“I wasn’t an advocate of wolves to start with, but I wasn’t against them totally. That has changed. They don’t have a place here,” he said. “Who’s to say I’m not going to infringe on their territory in my back yard in a few years?”
Lee said because of the attack, the Detroit hunters whom he was guiding didn’t get their bear. Lee added that they will not likely report favorably to others their experience hunting in New Mexico.
“They are going to go back and tell their buddies not to go to New Mexico to hunt because we have wolves,” Lee said.
Lee said he is going to file litigation in conjunction with the New Mexico Cattle Growers Association, which is already filing law suits to remove the Mexican wolves from the wilderness.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:57 AM

Default RE: Wolves !!!!!

i think wolves are incredible, wonderful creatures...i support programs that attempt to keep them from dying out.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

From MN................Whaa Whaa Whaa

They might eat too much of your wildlife. My state may gain control of the animal and be able to regulate the pack size.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: buckmine

From MN................Whaa Whaa Whaa

They might eat too much of your wildlife. My state may gain control of the animal and be able to regulate the pack size.
i'll be in your state soon...i love it up there....
Old 11-19-2004, 11:53 AM

The USFW has repeatedly lied and underestimated pack sizes here in Montana. Make no mistake, wolves are everywhere out here. They are hell on the resident elk populations. Almost ever drainage in my area one can find tracks were they have been. Why some want to re-introduce these predators is beyond me. They will be shot on sight by myself and many others here I know. I cannot, and will not say if I have any knowledge of wolves being shot by anyone. We don't need those critters here. Why the hell doesn't USWS just tear down all the development and return the entire west to what it use to be? It's time for some to just accept the west for what it is, we are here and there's no room for the wolf anymore, too damn bad.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

No room in Montana?

Hard for me to sympathize............

Do you dislike the coyote?

Why does man dislike fellow predators?

We travel the BWCA without guns. Not allowed in the summertime. We do not fear the wolf or bear when we go. Not like we want an incident though.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are plenty of wolves, plenty of grizzly - not in the lower 48 but thats part of having a populated landscape.

I don't support putting wolves and bears back into areas that people frequent enough for there to be conflicts - be it with humans diretly (face to face) or indirecty (livestock and pets being eaten)
Old 11-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

people frequent enough for there to be conflicts
They conflict with us, we do not conflict with them?
Old 11-19-2004, 01:54 PM

So buckmine why not lobby to put a large pack in your hunting area. That way in a couple of years there would be no deer left for you to hunt!

We as sportsman have spent billions to bring the Elk population back. Now the federal USFS with a liberal agenda wants to destory it! Our ancestors eraticated those dogs a long time ago for a reason.

Have you or do you every want to come out west to hunt Elk?

The people that have no idea about what has happened in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana.
Also what has already happened in New Mexico.

I sorry but we are the most dominate preadator.

Oh the coyotes would have been eliminated to but they got too smart for our ancestors to get them all.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I remember typing an article about the wolf problem on here several months ago. I doubt it'll still be here but if so, i'll re-post it.

Quick Reply: Wolves !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.