HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Politics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/politics-16/)
-   -   Sam Walton sold America. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/politics/79588-sam-walton-sold-america.html)

badshotbob 11-19-2004 08:26 AM

RE: Sam Walton sold America.

ORIGINAL: kevin1
Did the road crew who last redid the highway you drive on come from your own state ? In the world of competetive bidding the answer is probably no .

I understand your point on competitive bidding here Kevin, so I'm not disputing that. I did want to bring up an interesting deal though - the Chicago Skyway (toll road) is being sold to the Brits to the tune of 1.2 billion or some crazy figure like that. A freaking toll road - sold to an offshore company who will manage it, and drain more money out of this country. Wild.

Aught Six 11-19-2004 08:54 AM

I've been sitting back and watching the discussion here, but I have two quick points.

1. The economy will continue to change rapidly. I don't understand why people insist on vilifying companies who buy products overseas. Yes, on the surface it looks pretty crappy. However, the future is not in manufacturing or industry, but in service. That's what we've come to in this country. We want things cheap, and we want to be spoiled. Go with the times, or be swept away. Learn some new skills and you have an excellent chance to make more money then you did before. Work isn't just about showing up to the same job you've had for years, it's about selling something in demand at competitive rates.

2. China is a communist nation, and a cold enemy of ours. I will not buy from China for that reason only. I have no problem buying products from non-hostile nations, although they do run a bit higher in price than things from third world countries. I feel good about supporting American labor, but I just can't afford to do so all of the time. Reality is a real b____ sometimes.

badshotbob 11-19-2004 10:12 AM

Aught, with fear of sounding like a "broken record" as muley69 puts it, let me only point out two things you said, chew on it, and maybe you and others can see why I hold the position I do on this subject.

ORIGINAL: Aught Six
I don't understand why people insist on vilifying companies who buy products overseas. Yes, on the surface it looks pretty crappy. However, the future is not in manufacturing or industry, but in service.
True.

2. China is a communist nation, and a cold enemy of ours.
True.

Fill in the blanks. ;)

Aught Six 11-19-2004 10:43 AM

Fill in the blanks.
Trying, but not succeeding. I don't like China, but our government and businesses seem to feel differently. I would like to stop trading with them, but that doesn't seem feasible at this time. If there's one thing that will drive the economy under, it's cutting off cheaper goods so that Americans can't afford to buy anything. Then not only people producing the goods, but also those distributing and selling them, will lose their jobs, no?

If we're going to stop the importation of Chinese goods, we need to first find alternative sources who sell things at comparable prices (whether domestic or international), and then we need to go after the communists like we mean it. Personally, I don't think the reds will maintain a strangle hold on the country forever. We've witnessed some preliminary capitalistic reforms over there, and once the people get a taste of the good life, they'll want more. I wouldn't have any problem dealing with a friendly state, and I think it could be mutually beneficial.

jetblast 11-20-2004 05:52 PM

I think every product that is sold at Wal-Mart has a "made here" sticker. And WE still buy it.

14mercs 11-20-2004 08:23 PM

Walmart employs about 1.5 miilion people don't forget! Steady jobs and no lay offs.

trac209 11-23-2004 06:24 PM

Wal-mart is frieght train plowing over everything in it's path.They are going to take over the retail industry sooner than you think

Briman 11-26-2004 06:02 AM

VC-Did you see the documentary? Rubbermaid was the first company Walton drove out of business.
You shouldn't believe anything you hear. I just checked Rubbermaid stock, and they look very much OK. Symbol=NWL http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=NWL&t=my

The same people that complain about corporations fixing prices too high are the same that squak about corporations setting prices too low.:eek:

I have no problem with obsolete jobs in obsolete indutries moving elsewhere. It means less polution in our lands, lower prices, and the possible development of a middle class in other parts of the world who will eventually be buying our higher tech goods. As for jobs being lost- no one is guaranteed in life to be able to hold a job, be overpaid for it, and to never have it taken away.

Who moved my cheese?