Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Psychiatric examination of anti-gunners >

Psychiatric examination of anti-gunners

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Psychiatric examination of anti-gunners

Old 09-16-2004, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Psychiatric examination of anti-gunners

Wow.... I saw this link on another forum and sat here reading through it. It's really long, so instead of trying to cut 'n paste the whole thing (which will bog down the bandwidth of this site), I am just posting the hyperlink for your reading pleasure....

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/597777/posts

For F4YG and Strut: I need your opinions on this and wonder what you think of the second paragraph under "Defense mechanisms distort reality".

Butch A.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Psychiatric examination of anti-gunners

Very interesting. I have a minor in Psychology and I have read these same studies over and over again. Kind of falls on the line of Self-fulfilling prophecy. One is so worried of ones own inner being and feelings, they feel all others will do as they feel. Their inner psychosis is reflected on others, rather than embracing the differences inherent in all.

I could see a lot of validity in it.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Butch, I saw this a couple of years ago (or one just like it) and mentioned it in a post to one of the antis that had been hanging around. In short it was pretty much ignored not only on the board but in the community as well. The antis claim that the Phd that wrote it is biased due to their association with the firearms community and is therfore not worthy of being taken seriously.
The argument itself seems to bear more than a little credence and since it is couched in normal psycho-babble it should have created more of a ripple than it did.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting, very interesting. I'll have to go through it in depth during lunch. It looks like some of the other studies on the matter published by pro-gun and gun-neutral doctors and psychologists--almost common sense once you understand the emotional mechanisms involved in the antis.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is another good read about this topic.

I use it all the time when battling the anti-forces around me.[:@]

Raging Against Self Defense:
A Psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality
Old 09-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a long read, but I have a completely different angle- what mental defect causes people to fear inanimate objects? A Glock and a paperweight an both be made out of the same materials and both can be used as a defensive or murder weapon, yet one causes great emotional distress and sh!tting of drawers in some people while the other evokes no emotions whatsoever.

Mentally defective people.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mike bell

Here is another good read about this topic.

I use it all the time when battling the anti-forces around me.[:@]

Raging Against Self Defense:
A Psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality
Excellent, Mike... Excellent... Yours is a better version of mine. Mine was a cut 'n paste from a cut 'n paste from another forum, apparantly. Great find!

It amazes me that people have these perceptions and whatnot. I remember when I first got involved with hunting and firearms and went as far as getting a Virginia CWP. One of the ladies at work overheard me talking about firearms to another guy, and she was shocked. Something was said to the effect, "I didn't know you were into that stuff. You never seemed like the type". THE TYPE? What the heck is "the type"? Hmmmmm..... I guess "cute li'l Butchie" got transformed into "big bad Butch" with one single purchase of a Remington 870 12GA! {walks away from keyboard shaking head...}

Butch A.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

It amazes me that people have these perceptions and whatnot. I remember when I first got involved with hunting and firearms and went as far as getting a Virginia CWP. One of the ladies at work overheard me talking about firearms to another guy, and she was shocked. Something was said to the effect, "I didn't know you were into that stuff. You never seemed like the type". THE TYPE? What the heck is "the type"? Hmmmmm..... I guess "cute li'l Butchie" got transformed into "big bad Butch" with one single purchase of a Remington 870 12GA! {walks away from keyboard shaking head...}
Gawd, I get that all the time. I'm a quiet, clean-cut guy who always wears a smile and goes out of my way to help my clients. I'm a printing & duplication contractor, and my bosses know that I'm into guns and hunting (I get endless comments like, "Lee Harvey, how's it going?" or "Hey, Clocktower!"). They're just kidding around, but it does annoy me a little bit.

On the other hand, I keep a tight lip around the clients. They're the ones I really work for, and everyone in management knows that discussing politics and religion are taboo in such situations. I have a few good friends among them, so I will talk fairly openly in private settings. But I pulled into the parking garage the other day as a good client walked by and saw my gun nut bumper stickers. She looked at me like I had two heads.

Later, she came by and said, "Wow, I had no idea you were into that." Then we started talking about Iran and terrorism, China and communism, threats against democracy, etc., and she couldn't believe how animated I get when talking politics. Of course now she kids me by saying she knows not to make me angry. I know it's all harmless, but I guess it does kind of hurt my feelings at times. I'm a normal guy with abnormal politics. I live my life like the next person. Guns don't make me who I am; I do.