Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Example of parents screwed up priorities. >

Example of parents screwed up priorities.

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Example of parents screwed up priorities.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Example of parents screwed up priorities.

A friend called me last night. He is a teacher and coach. He told me a story of a young lady, 14 years old, who misses school a lot. This young lady always has an excuse from her parents. The latest event really got to my friend. This little girl missed two days of school, one day her mom took her to get a tattoo and some body piercing; the second day she missed because she was soar. Now when this little girl fails the exit level test, who is the parent going to blame? Thats right, the educational system. Arrrrggggg, this stuff gets to me.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Example of parents screwed up priorities.

What are you against here, taking kids out of school or body piercing ?
Old 04-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife is a teacher and has gotten several "winner" excuses for missed homework, all signed by parents:

- had to get a hair cut
- sports practice
- shouldn't have to do it, already knows it.

sometimes you just have to laugh.

--Bob
Old 04-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

What are you against here, taking kids out of school or body piercing ?
Priorities is the issue....
Old 04-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Matriarch Doe!

I see parents like that all the time. School should be one of the most important priorities in a child's life, and it amazes me how many parents don't get that across. I have a sister-in-law who actually used to have her son stay home on a regular basis just to babysit his younger siblings. She didn't work. She just used him so she could run around. Then later on she wondered why he skipped so much!
When my 5 oldest kids were all in grade school, my husband and I actually got called to come to an assembly where we received an award for all 5 kids having perfect attendance for the whole year!
At our house, if you weren't half-dead, your butt went to school. My kids hated me!
Old 04-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

When my 5 oldest kids were all in grade school, my husband and I actually got called to come to an assembly where we received an award for all 5 kids having perfect attendance for the whole year!
Wow, you two deserve the nobel prize for that little miracle.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

What or who's priorities ?
Old 04-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Stealthycat
I know you are playing devils advocate here(or at least I hope), but I guess it would be safe to say societies priorities. Since we insist on teaching every kid at the same level, I assume society deems it prudent to have the child attend school. If not society, then I would say the priorities extrapolated from common sense. Hmmmm, learn to read and write, or have metal stuck through your body. I guess the same scenario could play out for a job. Go to work and earn a pay check, or go get a tattoo. Personally I dont care what one wants to do to the body, but there is a time and a place for it. Could this event not happened on the weekend/holiday. Every body gets time off, some time or another.

If I lived by the priorities this parent exhibited, Id be off fishing or
hunting everyday instead of work.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

There was recently a student at our school who had missed somewhere between his 20th and 30th day of school. He was required to provide doctor's note in order for the days to be excused. His mother came in and argued the issue with our attendance officer. At one point, she pulled out perscription bottles from her purse to "prove " that his absences were excused. The problem was that they were her perscriptions! She was lying to cover for her kid. And yeah, he was not sick. Plenty of other students had been hanging out with him after school, and partying with him on the weekends.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

burniegoeasily - I am going to take my kids out of school in November for a week family vacation to Denver. Later when my kids get older, if they want to skip a day of school for openeing of deer season, to go out of town shopping with Mom or whatever, I do not mind.

Why ?

I was raised that if my grades were good I had those options. Its a decision making process for the youth to make - miss a day of school, possibly get a bit behind, maybe have to take finals etc etc and in return do what they're wanting to do. It developes good skills IMO.

Lets fact it, if you're a good student, missing one day isn't going to matter one way of the other in the grand scheme of things. Schools really get irate for kids missing class because they loose money for it (so I heard).

Is school important ? Sure it is. I graduated with a 3.2 average and never studied a lick. I had a great kids/high school life in many ways, but education (getting A's) was a priority that I never chose to make. I scored pretty high on ACT and SAT's and got scholarships - so I got what I needed to out of school I suppose.

I would hope I have enough flexibility as a parent to realize that sometimes, school ISN'T the most important thing to do that given day, regardless of what society thinks, or what the teachers, school board, local or state or federal govt says. For me and my kids, it might be a fishing trip, a camping outing, going shopping .... for others it might be getting a tatoo or whatever. Sure theres instances of parents neglecting their kids education .... I do not see missing two days of school as falling into that category though

Quick Reply: Example of parents screwed up priorities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.