Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 "Open Range".......is it me? >

"Open Range".......is it me?

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

"Open Range".......is it me?

Old 01-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default "Open Range".......is it me?

Never got to see the flick in the movie house so we rented it and I had to watch it twice. Always did like Robert Duvall and like Kevin Costner most times. Anyway, toward the end after the shooting and most of the killing was over, in the background it showed some townsfolk chasing down and killing the last of the villains. Although he had shot back at them, he was running away and they(townfolk) finally put him down from the back. One other instant had me cheering although I did not laugh, when "Butler" the villainous gun hand was shot between the eyes.

Afterwards I realized this scene may have been put in to make a point...not clear on that. But for the first time during a movie killing........I found myself laughing at that scene, I guess it struck me as funny. My wife wasn't laughing, just shook her head at me. I must add certain movies I really get into....ya know the type....I want to hear every word said and not miss a beat while I watch it. This is one movie I really liked...I love westerns anyway.

My question is...am I wrong for laughing at a man being killed in a movie? I had the same reaction the 2nd time. Maybe knowing its a movie allowed my behavior, but in my mind it was because total justice was being served....old western style!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Open Range".......is it me?

I watched it the other day. Great movie. When Costner asked Butler if he was the man who killed his friend and Butler said yes and he enjoyed it. Then Costner gave one to him between the eyes, I smiled. Like you said, justice was served, the old fashioned way. Bulter learned the hard way that mouthing back to a person whos friend you just killed and has a gun, is the wrong thing to do. The gun fight at the end of the movie, IMO was the best part.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

It was the best part kshunter, and I actually enjoyed the whole movie, so much so thats its now made my my top ten list for western movies. I enjoyed the events leading up to the finale. Made up my mind this movie will be bought in DVD for my small library.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got the DVD at my house but have not watched it yet. I will probably watch it over this coming up weekend. My dad watched it and said it's one of the best westerns he has seen in a long time. Can't wait to see it.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Coug, I've been wanting to see this movie, I just have not done so yet. I love weterns too!
As far as being wrong or insensitive for laughing at a movie death, I don't find anything wrong with it!
I know that in todays world, kids are influenced "some" by movie and video game violence.
I also think that some of this "influence" is a crutch and a crock of crap too!
I'm in the over 40 crowd, and in our day we saw lots of killing and the 3 Stooges doing a lots of things to each other, we still knew better than to try these things or kill others either!
Back to laughing at deaths, if you can laugh at something thats really gory, there might be a little something wrong, but in cases like yours, I just can't see a problem!
Old 01-28-2004, 02:06 PM

CougMag, you don't need to question your actions (reactions). It's good to laugh at bad guys getting dead.

critch