Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
COVID mortality rate in US 2.8 per 100,000: Johns Hopkins >

COVID mortality rate in US 2.8 per 100,000: Johns Hopkins

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

COVID mortality rate in US 2.8 per 100,000: Johns Hopkins

Old 10-10-2020, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

115k per 100,000 die in car crashes, compared to 2.8 per 100k from COVID19. And that doesn't include the tens of thousands who are maimed.

So while, yes, covid should not be ignored, and while yes, we should be going out of our way to develop treatments and cures, allowing the US government and states to turn 15 days to flatten the curve into 9 months to reshape an election has been one of the saddest moments in US history.

And you want to talk about long term effects? Let's talk about the long term effects on peoples health from crashing the US economy, and putting about 1/2 of all small businesses in the US out of business.

We know from study after study that the US mortality rate is directly tied to the unemployment rate.

It is hard to imagine that the US and state governments could've over reacted anymore than they did.

This has been one of the saddest chapters in US history. All the way around.

Last edited by Valorius; 10-10-2020 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Give me liberty or give me death, unless it's a virus with an over 99.5% recovery rate even among 70+ year old Americans.
Attached Thumbnails COVID mortality rate in US 2.8 per 100,000: Johns Hopkins-give-me-liberty-give-me-covid.jpg  
Old 10-11-2020, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck View Post
My view is a little different, 58,220 died in the Vietnam conflict in around a ten year period. 206,000 COVID in an eight-month period is significant, 415,800 U.S. military personnel died in WWII we are almost halfway to that total in months not years.
Even if you halve the COVID total due to fatality inflation, it is still significant,
And the long term health effects of the virus are largely unknown. It may do significant organ or circulatory damage.
I say take it seriously, wear a mask even if a mask is only ten percent effective (number pulled from my rectal orifice) it is still better than no percent. Be responsible, social distance. Limit exposure to possible contacts.
My wife is nuts, for her shopping is a social thing and she insists on shopping many days a week. I go grocery shopping three times a month. The only significant exposure I have is her. She has a sore throat now hopefully it is only a cold. Snot season is right around the corner, face masks full of snot aren't going to be pretty, the spread is liable to accelerate.
For some perspective.
7400 people die every day, every year from ALL CAUSES, On average. According to the CDC.
What we have here is a media EXPLODED virus that has been responsible for killing 10K people. And has exacerbated the pre-existing condition of maybe 100k more.
The rest of the deaths are suicides, murders, accidents or other causes.

Common sense and the old "smell test" tell us that this virus circus, doesn't pass the test.
Its JUST NOT possible for the U.S. to have 20% of the worlds deaths when we only have 4% of the total worlds population.

To give some size examples. The global deaths amount to a population about 1\8th the size of the City of CHICAGO. And the WHO, mass media and Dr. Fauci want us to believe that the U.S. is responsible for 20% of that?

Nope, that fails the smell test. I don't give two rat farts about the per capita totals. Show me the total numbers. I can take it from there.

Do what you feel YOU need to do for yourself. To stay "safe". But otherwise, we need to get back to living. This thing is no worse then the common cold. The numbers bear that out.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter View Post
For some perspective.
7400 people die every day, every year from ALL CAUSES, On average. According to the CDC.
What we have here is a media EXPLODED virus that has been responsible for killing 10K people. And has exacerbated the pre-existing condition of maybe 100k more.
The rest of the deaths are suicides, murders, accidents or other causes.

Common sense and the old "smell test" tell us that this virus circus, doesn't pass the test.
Its JUST NOT possible for the U.S. to have 20% of the worlds deaths when we only have 4% of the total worlds population.

To give some size examples. The global deaths amount to a population about 1\8th the size of the City of CHICAGO. And the WHO, mass media and Dr. Fauci want us to believe that the U.S. is responsible for 20% of that?

Nope, that fails the smell test. I don't give two rat farts about the per capita totals. Show me the total numbers. I can take it from there.

Do what you feel YOU need to do for yourself. To stay "safe". But otherwise, we need to get back to living. This thing is no worse then the common cold. The numbers bear that out.
Maybe my perspective is skewed I've had serious pneumonia, the feeling is like drowning for days or weeks. I'm old with allergies bordering on asthma.
The old tactic of saying it is no worse than this or that is flawed logic. It is plus, traffic fatalities, plus seasonal flu, plus murders, and plus overdose deaths. Is the government overreacting and playing politics with the situation, without a doubt.
My point is to be personally responsible, be a good citizen, and avoid turning the situation into a crusade against repression or whatever. There are few absolutes most everything is some shade of grey.
From the beginning, the management of the outbreak has been a compromise between safety and tanking the economy. Policy has been skating a fine line between the two on a wandering and often unclear path. IMO a one size fits all policy solution doesn't exist, population density dictates some policy, travel dictates some regional policy. And the economy dictates regional policy, what is the point of a lockdown if when you eventually reappear and there is little or no economy. My greatest fear was the breakdown of supply lines in the beginning, which didn't really happen in a big way. Any way you look at it is is a major event.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Watch this,and you'll see what the world governments and WHO have done has been so absolutely egregious.

Just listen to the quotes and statistics
Old 10-12-2020, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I posted the link below in another thread, but it seems germane to this discussion so I repeat it here. This is an excellent video of an interview of Dr Scott Atlas on Uncommon Knowledge back in mid-June. Basically it slays the notion that lockdowns make sense. They do NOT make sense. The net public health outcome is MORE deaths than without the lockdowns. How can this be possible? There are other kinds of deaths which ensue when you wreck the economy, dissuade people from seeking medical care for other health problems, and make people stay home all the time. See the video. it is of interest that this was very cogently described in a paper published in late May, and just now one WHO official is coming around to this idea. By the way, the view of Dr Atlas is that people in nursing homes are the primary place where lockdowns and special cautions are called for, and he points out that even today (mid-June when the interview took place) the nursing homes are NOT properly locked down and protected. Do yourself a favour and watch the video. It is 50 minutes long. If you don't find yourself hooked within the first 10 minutes, by all means, skip the rest of the video. But if you attend to the discussion in the first 10 minutes, I'm betting you'll watch the whole thing. I watched it last night, but I think I will re-watch it today, because I don't think it all sunk in for me. He is a very logical guy. He brings a lot of insight and wisdom to this whole COVID thing. He builds his case using commonly available data -- data worked up in the past by the government to deal with public health problems. What I'm saying is that he isn't coming up with some previously unheard of information and some crackpot conspiracy theory.

I will add that Scott Atlas is now advising the Trump administration about COVID in some capacity that I do not know. To the extent he is decried and demonized by the news media or other politicians, that is proof positive that the COVID thing is being used for cynical political purposes. The recommendations of Atlas in this video are so transparently on point that anyone will accept them. Certainly if there is disagreement, the burden is on the disagreeing party to shoot down the cogent arguments and data of Dr Atlas -- it will not do to simply throw some ad hominem curveball at him: "O, but his specialty is not virology so he can't speak on this issue! O, but he didn't attend the same medical college as Dr Fauci, so his opinion is worthless!" By the way, the point is Atlas ISN'T plying his "opinion." He is using the conclusions and data provided by government public health agencies. It isn't a damned opinion. It is -- in those hushed and hallowed words used by the Democrats -- "the science" on this subject. Don't believe me, watch the video. If you do believe me . . . watch the video too!

Last edited by Alsatian; 10-12-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The global leader of the TB foundation has stated flat out that the lockdowns have already caused 1.4 million additional TB deaths world wide.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
The global leader of the TB foundation has stated flat out that the lockdowns have already caused 1.4 million additional TB deaths world wide.
It will be interesting to see if this idea comes more to the fore right at this instant. Will the WHO confirm the statement made by its single member?

I say interesting because it would be my judgment that Joe Biden is on record as definitely promoting continuing lockdowns and Donald Trump is definitely on record as definitely opposing continued, blanket lockdowns. Why couldn't Trump make hay of this? This ought to be a good topic for the second presidential debate. Definitely Democrats generally are on the wrong side of this. The governor of Michigan is on the wrong side of it. The governor of California is on the wrong side of it. And it IS NOT like the truth about this has not been available until just recently. No, it has long been out there and has been remarked upon widely by Republicans.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dr. Nabarro, who made the statements condemning lockdowns, is the WHO envoy, ie the group spokesman.

So his comments are the official WHO position.