Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Why did America lose pride and interest in the space program? >

Why did America lose pride and interest in the space program?

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Why did America lose pride and interest in the space program?

Old 08-26-2020, 08:24 PM
Spike

Default Why did America lose pride and interest in the space program?

Since 2011 we have been using Russian spacecraft to ferry American astronauts to and from the ISS until now. If American society and government had pride in it's space program there would already have been a replacement for the space shuttle in 2011.

Americans should have considered this an embarrassment and blow to national pride. Instead we choose apathy.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I suggest you consider the possibility that people do not think this is a good expenditure of public money.

We have means of launching satellites into geosynchronous orbits. We don't need manned spaceflight to do that. So, weather satellites, spy satellites, communication satellites -- you don't needed manned spacecraft for those things.

What can manned spaceflight do? You can do a space walk and fix the Hubble Space Telescope. Does that justify a manned space program? I don't think so. Science experiments in space? Maybe, but it is arguable you can set these up to be conducted with unmanned space flight. Fly a man to Mars? To what purpose? Why? To say we did it? Let's teach 100,000 Americans to read Homer in Ancient Greek then say we did that. That would be cool.

Is the pursuit of national glory worth the expenditure? There are other things we can do with the money. Actually, it ought to be borne in mind that we are already doing a lot of spending with borrowed money, so is it worth borrowing money and going further into debt to get back into manned space flight?

I personally don't see this as needful. There are many more important earthbound goals we ought to address. But that is just my opinion -- one of 350,000,000 Americans.

But if you want to know "why haven't we?" I suggest you look into the challenges to the value of manned spaceflight I posed above.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

Well, the Russian Soyuz was available to get astronauts into orbit and had a remarkable safety record, and regardless of our governments' leaders butting heads, both the American and Russian space programs have gotten along pretty well. Why not have the Russians help us out? Besides, what we may have lacked in good crew-to-orbit capabilities, I'd say we'd more than make up for it with all the space probes we've sent to the farthest reaches of the solar system. The shuttles, neat though they were, were never quite as low-cost of a system as they initially envisioned, and the vehicles had more than a few design flaws, so I imagine everyone at NASA wanted to try to get it right this time. In my opinion, all these programs trying to use existing shuttle components are good on paper, but it's time for something completely new if we're going to keep advancing. Then there's also the politicians and bureaucrats to deal with, many of whom are more than willing to slash NASA's budget. As one comment I've read put it:

US politicians' plan for space travel aka "how morons waste money"
1) propose a new launch system that has some advantages
2) meddle with the concept to please some interest groups
3) cut funding because its too expensive mostly due to the meddling
4) be surprised that the program is behind schedule after funding was cut
5) decide that it is so much behind schedule that you have to cancel the program "to not waste money"
6) realize that you still don't have a new launch vehicle
7) repeat with step 1

Then along came SpaceX, with its goal of producing low-cost launch vehicles that can reuse expensive components, and it's actually working. Pretty amusing that a private company managed to do what NASA couldn't. That shot of the two Falcon Heavy side boosters landing upright simultaneously has got to be one of greatest spaceflight moments in history. Can't wait to see Starship when it's completed.

Maybe SLS will work out just fine, too. I'd love to see us have multiple options for putting people into orbit and beyond.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Alsatian View Post
I suggest you consider the possibility that people do not think this is a good expenditure of public money.

We have means of launching satellites into geosynchronous orbits. We don't need manned spaceflight to do that. So, weather satellites, spy satellites, communication satellites -- you don't needed manned spacecraft for those things.

What can manned spaceflight do? You can do a space walk and fix the Hubble Space Telescope. Does that justify a manned space program? I don't think so. Science experiments in space? Maybe, but it is arguable you can set these up to be conducted with unmanned space flight. Fly a man to Mars? To what purpose? Why? To say we did it? Let's teach 100,000 Americans to read Homer in Ancient Greek then say we did that. That would be cool.

Is the pursuit of national glory worth the expenditure? There are other things we can do with the money. Actually, it ought to be borne in mind that we are already doing a lot of spending with borrowed money, so is it worth borrowing money and going further into debt to get back into manned space flight?

I personally don't see this as needful. There are many more important earthbound goals we ought to address. But that is just my opinion -- one of 350,000,000 Americans.

But if you want to know "why haven't we?" I suggest you look into the challenges to the value of manned spaceflight I posed above.
For one, technologies developed from NASA research are quite common. Odds are, you've reaped the benefit of research resulting from space travel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spinoff_technologies

Why fly to Mars? Because it's humanity's next great exploration, and our next step towards expanding beyond Earth. I firmly believe one day we will have colonies throughout the solar system - on the Moon, Mars, Europa, and Encedalus - researching and uncovering the mysteries of this big universe we live in. Landing an astronaut on Mars would be the next Giant Leap for mankind. It'd be a lot more cool to watch an astronaut step onto the red surface for the first time than watching him learn to read Homer in Ancient Greek. Plenty of people have done that. But, that's just my opinion.

I personally think funding NASA is a better use of our money than funding perpetual welfare fraudsters, or never-ending wars in the Middle East. It's not even that much of the U.S. budget compared to how much we spend on other things, representing less than half a percent this year (0.48%), and while we as a nation have other issues to solve, we can multitask. Heck, we were preparing to send men to the moon while we passed the Civil Rights Act. Now that private companies like SpaceX are entering the fray, we're seeing some spaceflight progress being made without relying on taxpayer money, too.

Last edited by TN Lone Wolf; 08-28-2020 at 09:27 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-28-2020, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Obama dismantled NASA T o spend the prescribed money elsewhere to fast forward his ideals, Like sending guns to Mexico, Or cash to Iran
Old 08-31-2020, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

What grouch said , and there is more being done than we know Iím sure , and far as helping with our defense and military using space Iím all about it but astronauts and just to take pictures and look for another earth etc IMO is a big waste of time and money , just like watching sharks and other species migrate etc etc not helping anyone big waste of money in my eyes But thatís my opinion if it it canít help cure some of our diseases , and help the elderly and children and Americans period why do it Americans need to be put first for once
Old 11-08-2020, 03:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Alsatian View Post

Were not going to give the Russians anymore money. Not with Putin no thanks. The Crew Dragon and Falcon 9 are vastly superior to whatever they have.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The early space program started because of competition with the Soviet Union. Once we beat the Soviets to the moon and with the collapse of the Warsaw Pact nations, there wasn't much of a reason to continue funding the space program. Cutting back on cold war expenditures such as NASA and the military was part of what was called "the peace dividend." And with regards to Americans hitching a ride on Russian spacecraft, I think it is great that former rivals can now be working together peacefully.

I love the idea of space exploration and I believe human's will eventually be living on other planets but it is going to take a while. It took over a hundred years for Europeans to cross the Atlantic and begin settling the new world, space is also going to take a long time.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:06 AM
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=RobertSubnet;4383638]The early space program started because of competition with the Soviet Union. Once we beat the Soviets to the moon and with the collapse of the Warsaw Pact nations, there wasn't much of a reason to continue funding the space program. Cutting back on cold war expenditures such as NASA and the military was part of what was called "the peace dividend." And with regards to Americans hitching a ride on Russian spacecraft, I think it is great that former rivals can now be working together peacefully.

I love the idea of space exploration and I believe human's will eventually be living on other planets but it is going to take a while. It took over a hundred years for Europeans to cross the Atlantic and begin settling the new world, space is also going to take a long time.[/QUOTE) Space is just that , a place to explore IMO , Not arguing , the Bible doesnít speak of it , it tells past present and future the only book proven to do so but thatís just me
Old 11-09-2020, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Space is just that , a place to explore
Indeed it is - and no doubt we will continue to discover amazing things.

the Bible doesn’t speak of it , it tells past present and future the only book proven to do so but that’s just me
I'm not sure what The Bible has to do with the topic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.