Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

So what if??

Old 07-03-2020, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

I happen to agree with everything you said above. And to clarify, my earlier comments about Japan must be doing something right was not meant to have a simplistic binary meaning as in Japan was right and the US was wrong. That would be like comparing apples to oranges. In fact, although I have not read about every country's handling of Covid19, I have not read of any other country besides the US where the health crisis has been politicized at the expense of the population. Given all of the problems and politics presented, I don't think President Trump could have done much more or better. A lot of people complain about how we should listen to the science but many of those same people heavily criticized Trump for shutting down the borders and flights into this country. Instead of working together to help our fellow citizens, many (not all) Dems in Congress are passing legislation that has a TON of pork that has nothing to do with helping people or addressing Covid19. And in these trying times with corona, a lot of people have chosen to agitate, destroy personal property, attack others and switch the general public narrative to who should kneel at a football game or in Congress, etc. Do we have problems? Yes. Are people making it worse. Oh yes they are.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Calculating deaths per unit of population, for example. per million, is certainly not inaccurate. I don't really care what the rate per million population in the US is though. I think over 100,000 deaths is the more significant figure.

I have noticed that whenever I offer a comparison of deaths due to the Chinese virus in Japan vs. the U.S., somehow the subject is changed with no mention of Japan. Yeah, folks, let's talk about Germany. They must be doing a bang up job there, but let's not compare their numbers to Japan. 109 deaths per million in Germany as opposed to 8 per million in Japan. Okay, we won't talk about that because, obviously, we care more about Europe and respect them so much more. LOL.

Okay, we don't want to talk about Japan. Let's change the subject. Let's talk about South Korea.

The population of South Korea is about 51 million as opposed to about 330 million in the U.S.

South Korea reports 282 deaths from the virus. So let's equate that to the U.S. by multiplying by 6.47 which gives us 1,825 deaths from the virus in South Korea. adjusted for the difference in population. Now I live in Japan, so I know what is happening there. I don't live in South Korea, but I have it on good authority that the folks there wear masks when confronted by some sort of sickness, just like they do in Japan.

I could post data about Taiwan, which I hear has similar stats. But I leave that as homework for people who probably need to learn a little more about East Asia.

Hey, here's another interesting fact that I ran across, I read that Japan has the fifth most powerful military in the world. The U.S., Russia and China would be the first three, but I wonder who #4 is. My older daughter's "boyfriend" wants to be a naval officer. The military is highly respected back home.

My wife is very happy to be back home. Sachiko was as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs with all the people here running around without masks. Some establishments are requiring masks, but I see plenty of people ignoring the rules. There have even been fights over the issue I see.

But if anyone makes it over here; I mentioned in a previous post about food in Osaka. Our city is well known for a huge variety of restaurants and cuisine. Just remember you don't tip here.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cr422: well, I wasn't intending to insult anyone -- Japan -- by not comparing US results to Japanese results. I compared against what I thought were comparable nations. What do you attribute low Japanese numbers to?

Does Japan have a lot of flights back and forth between Wuhan, China everyday as the US West coast does? Does Japan have 100s of thousands of "overseas Chinese" as does the US? Likewise NW Italy where a large presence of "overseas Chinese" are located to establish an Italian clothing label for chinese couture.

It is great Japan has done so well. Was it as simple as wearing masks? Have they shutdown the trains?
Old 07-04-2020, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

It does make you wonder, doesn't it? They must be doing something different with a 150M population and such low #'s.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Agreed. Japan's results are hard to argue with. Examining the reasons why Japan was able to achieve such results would seem to be a worthwhile expenditure of time. Cr422's comments about 100% wearing of masks in public as the main feature of Japan's mitigation measures would seem to indicate that Japan was able to substantially reduce the spread of corona while also avoiding the politicization of the issue, i.e. all Japanese citizens seemed to be on the same page.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think America ought to figure out everything Japan did or didn't do and see if it would work in the US. Then I think America ought to look at these ideas county by county. Most of the corona problems are in dense urban areas so those urban areas should have different strategies for fighting corona than wide open rural areas with little to no corona issues. I recently read that California's Governor Newsome also ordered senior homes to take in corona infected seniors. That should be verified and if found to be true, Newsome and that idiot Cuomo should both be tried in federal courts for abuse of power and killing their citizens.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have to apologize to Alsatian. I really was too abrupt and maybe a little rude in my response to him. I was hoping to start a discussion where maybe someone could see some other ways to interpret what I was posting about masks. But having spend some time here, I see that the responses to the virus here are somewhat similar to those in Japan, except for the masks. Now use of masks is not mandatory anywhere back home. Everybody just uses them. And as I have said-everybody. The shutdowns were not nearly as severe as here. There was pressure to cut down on the nightlife so bars were asked to close at eight. The governor of Tokyo prefecture is now pressuring some of the geisha type establishments to set some limits. This is a unique custom not seen in the US. We all know what a geisha is. They will sit and drink with you, pour your drinks talk and keep you company. There is now a modern version where the girls do the same thing without the traditional costume. She, the governor is chastising them for being a part of the bump in cases in Tokyo. Tokyo prefecture is still at 325 deaths with a population over 13 million.

During the "state of emergency" much continued to function. But people were urged to work from home and people were urged to limit night life activities. I think I already mentioned the suggestion that women only shop every other day. (Very small refrigerators there.) The Japanese Disneyland was closed-just reopened. The buses and trains continued to run on the same schedules. Some people, like sachiko, continued to work as usual, but worked from home if possible. She did her large lecture class by computer, but was able to lecture and answer questions almost as though everyone was still in the lecture hall. Impossible to avoid crowds here.

But the masks are the key, I believe. But everyone has to get on board. I notice that masks are now being promoted here, but even though some establishments post signs saying masks are required, I see that many people ignore them.

Well I may be here a little while longer. It's not under my control. So I am hanging around at some of my old hangouts I miss sachiko and the girls very much. I'm getting too old to spend this much time away from them.

Black National Anthem? Black Lives Matter? Do those black kids who are getting killed matter to Black Lives Matter. Apparently not. Where are the protests against those killers?

It will be easy to ignore certain things when I get back home, like the NFL.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just checked nippon.com and, in spite of bunch of new cases in there, Tokyo prefecture, population over 13 million, still at 325 deaths. Osaka prefecture is also still stagnant at 86 deaths. There is concern there, as there should be, that one should still wear the masks and limit the night life.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

That seems to be a pattern in the US also. We're having a resurgence of new cases but the death rate has dropped down pretty significantly. It's almost like healthy people are getting sick now instead of immune compromised people.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just opinion but I think one difference might be both the Japenese and the Germans are more apt to comply with governmental recommendations and a twist on the same opinion the words Gung Ho spring to mind, the Chinese meaning not the military meaning, "Pull together" or "Work Together" This pulling together thing is far from perfect in Germany but percentage-wise likely way higher than some parts of the U.S. The Germans are also big on quarantining whole villages when hot spots appear. They are also prone to fine quickly when somebody fails to comply, their whole philosophy is hurt them in the wallet and secondly peer pressure.

I think one pertinent statistic is the hospitalizations rate per thousand tested. Though this number almost has to be geographically slanted, it might be a good indicator. The raw numbers as a total can be/are misleading. The number of deaths per hundred thousand may not be due to mitigation or medical talent, some populations are just healthier before infection.

My first thought when I looked at the map showing COVID hot spots/States was why? And the first thing that came to mind was air conditioning. Most viruses don't do well in the summer or heat. I wonder if anybody is testing air management systems? Side note air conditioning isn't common in Germany, I don't know about Japan. Sure population density has to be a factor, but the surge doesn't have to be a single factor it can be a compilation of factors.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 07-08-2020 at 05:49 AM.