Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Trump

Old 03-28-2020, 09:44 AM
  #11  
Nontypical Buck
 
sconnyhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wherever liberalism must be eradicated.
Posts: 2,732
Default

Originally Posted by flags View Post
OK. Lets pick that apart. First off the definition of autocratic has nothing to do with blaming someone else. What the word means is that someone absolutely refuses to accept any advice or viewpoint other than their own even to the detriment of all. That is what the word means. It has nothing at all to do with saying things or calling people out. Now I will admit that Trump often appears as though he will not accept and advice or opposing viewpoints but, and this is a very big but, he always does in the end and that is the direct opposite of being an autocrat.

For the record I don't like all the things he says or the way he says them. But words do not the dictator make. Actions do. If you have your knickers in a knot because of words then you need to evaluate your words and possibly do an edit. Accusing someone of being in the company of Hitler and Stalin is a pretty serious accusation. You want to try again? Because you failed on that one.
You just described Mike Bloomberg. He is the definition of autocratic. He knows all, and will be happy to tell you all about it.
Trump is hiring the people he needs to, and letting them do their jobs. He is the face of the administration, and taking the heat. While the people who do the work, can get it done.
sconnyhunter is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 10:33 AM
  #12  
Dominant Buck
Thread Starter
 
Champlain Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 21,400
Default

Originally Posted by flags View Post
OK. Lets pick that apart. First off the definition of autocratic has nothing to do with blaming someone else. What the word means is that someone absolutely refuses to accept any advice or viewpoint other than their own even to the detriment of all. That is what the word means. It has nothing at all to do with saying things or calling people out. Now I will admit that Trump often appears as though he will not accept and advice or opposing viewpoints but, and this is a very big but, he always does in the end and that is the direct opposite of being an autocrat.
No I never said autocratic was always blaming others. I said that a narcissist does that. Self centered and lack of empathy are other trademarks with that particular disorder. Looking at your definition of autocratic only one POTUS figure comes to mind Trump. He has hired numerous people over the past 3 years and it most often goes like this. I have hired or appointed so and so who is the best person for the job. He is a much better person than anyone else has ever hired for this type of job. Once that person who has a brain runs up against Trump in any way he is fired. When questioned that person is denigrated in tweets our Commander in Chief. Trump may ask for ideas but from what I can see the only one he really listens to is himself. Many of the more notable ones were military men who were some of the smartest and best trained people in the world. He threw them under the Trump bus just as easily as he did his ex playmates. I see storm clouds on the horizon for Dr. Fauci.
For the record I don't like all the things he says or the way he says them. But words do not the dictator make. Actions do. If you have your knickers in a knot because of words then you need to evaluate your words and possibly do an edit. Accusing someone of being in the company of Hitler and Stalin is a pretty serious accusation. You want to try again? Because you failed on that one.
I never compared him to Hitler or Stalin. I see no reason to edit anything I said because just like this post is just my own opinion. My prediction is over time many more people will decide Trump is not a good leader and possibly won't re-elect him.

If nothing else this thread has generated some life into the site. Admin please write the royalty check in my name from your records because my bank doesn't know who Champlain Islander really is. LOL

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 03-28-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Champlain Islander is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 10:41 AM
  #13  
Boone & Crockett
 
Oldtimr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 13,873
Default

CI, you need to stop judging Trump as a politician, he is not. It was the politicians that have this country screwed up as Hogan's goat. Read my up coming posts and you will see the problem with our country and these are the people that Trump must contend with every day. I can over look his clumsiness, since he has to try to do or our country and the constitution while every minute of every day he must fight the politicians on the left and some on the right. You are looking for perfection, I have never seen perfection and I suspect neither did you.
Oldtimr is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 12:29 PM
  #14  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,686
Default

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
No I never said autocratic was always blaming others.and possibly won't re-elect him.
What you said is you would take the 2nd definition of dictator to describe the man and the 2nd definition clearly states "a person who behaves in an autocratic way." So in order to know if someone behaves in an autocratic way requires that we look at the definition of autocratic. Did you even bother looking it up? Something tells me you didn't because not one word of your subsequent post had anything to do with what the definition of autocratic is. Once again, let me help you:

Autocratic:
Adjective

#1) Relating to a ruler who has absolute power. (Are you saying Trump has absolute power? If so explain that impeachment)
#2 taking no account of other people's wishes or opinions; domineering (As I stated, Trump often comes off like this but in the end always yields to others input, ideas and opinions.)

So exactly where in your rebuttal is any SPECIFIC instance of him acting autocratic? Remember I requested specifics, not talking points, yet talking points was all you offered.

I never compared him to Hitler or Stalin.
I'm sorry. Exactly which dictator are you comparing him to? Mao Zedong? Idi Amin? Pol Pot Muammar Qaddafi? Saddam Hussein? Kim Jong-Un? Which flavor of dictator are we talking about? Obviously it would have to be one that actually existed so humor me and tell me which one we are talking about? By the way every dictator in history slaughtered their own people. Are you saying that is in our future?
flags is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 12:34 PM
  #15  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location:
Posts: 6,223
Default

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
A couple days ago he was making a big deal about the ventilator shortage and basically saying Cuomo was wrong then he enacts that defense rule and has GM start making them.
First, I think Cuomo has since acknowledged he DOESN'T need the 40,000 ventilators now. He DOESN'T have a shortage. He is chasing a hypothetical -- he hypothetically maybe possibly might need, worst case, 40,000 ventilators when the peak he thinks may be coming in mid-April.

Wait a minute! Hold the horses! Where have I seen this sort of behavior before?! Lower level managers are always pulling that crap. Cuomo thinks he might actually need 10,000 ventilators but fears if he asks for 10,000 he will only get 5,000. So instead he games the system and asks for 40,000. Surely then he'll get the 10,000 he needs and even a comfortable cushion in case he under estimated. So Trump was RIGHT to suspect Cuomo didn't need 40,000 ventilators.

Additionally, you say Trump has enacted "that defense rule." I think I know the rule you mention, but I have not heard that Trump, in fact, HAS invoked that law. I think Trump has asked business leaders to step up to the plate to help, and said business leaders have stepped up to the plate to render help, without Trump having to clobber them over the head with that defense act you allude to.

I don't see why Trump pushing for more ventilators produced by GM, or whoever, contradicts anything Trump has said. Is it not possible Trump disagrees Cuomo needs 40,000 ventilators but still forsees depleting stores of ventilators from FEMA in such a way he wants to prudently resupply those depleted stores?
Alsatian is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 12:50 PM
  #16  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location:
Posts: 6,223
Default

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
Do I think he has gotten some good things done...yes. Is he better than Obama...yes but that bar is way too low to satisfy my expectations of a leader.
How does Trump stack up against the two Bushes? I think better. Evaluate him on (1) foreign policy, (2) on supreme court justice appointments, and (3) his economic policies. I think he gets the better of both Bushes. Maybe Regan was better, but Trump is not done yet.

Don't forget, it was a blunder by a diplomat under Bush I that gave Saddam Hussein the idea he could attack Kuwait. The subsequent history of the middle east is linked to the repercussions of that blunder. Bush II was not effective in foreign policy. Neither helped our economy much.

So what Republican presidents since WW-II have done better?
Alsatian is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 12:55 PM
  #17  
Nontypical Buck
 
rogerstv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Central Illinois
Posts: 1,096
Default

I believe this is the first time I agree with all posts in a thread.

As bad as some of his actions and words are, the US needed someone like Trump. Trump shook up D.C.

If not reelected in 2020 and followed by another conservative duo in 2024, the US will fall into some sort of globalist, socialist, sanctuary, politically correct, ****hole.

There are many people who would be a much better president than Trump. However, none of them have stepped up.
rogerstv is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 01:36 PM
  #18  
Dominant Buck
Thread Starter
 
Champlain Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 21,400
Default

Originally Posted by rogerstv View Post
I believe this is the first time I agree with all posts in a thread.

As bad as some of his actions and words are, the US needed someone like Trump. Trump shook up D.C.

If not reelected in 2020 and followed by another conservative duo in 2024, the US will fall into some sort of globalist, socialist, sanctuary, politically correct, ****hole.

There are many people who would be a much better president than Trump. However, none of them have stepped up.
I agree with most of the above. One big thing that Trump has accomplished is shaking up the political establishment. In view of where the Democratic party has gone so far left the bold statement above is true. I also agree with the last statement above. I would have rather seen Rubio win but it wasn't in the cards. Personally I liked both Bushes better than Trump. They just seemed like someone that was respected world wide and I didn't mind casting my vote for either one of them. Liked Reagan even more.
Alsatian I think Cuomo will need those 30K ventilators in 3 weeks. At least the way i see the numbers adding up and with what happened in Italy I say he is on the money.
And finally to flags I said he "would make a fine dictator". I never mentioned anyone's name or that he actually was a dictator. Not sure what you are trying to prove but that's OK. Your tactics remind me of someone else that frequents this forum.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 03-28-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Champlain Islander is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 05:45 PM
  #19  
Nontypical Buck
 
MudderChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Germany/Calif.
Posts: 2,543
Default

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
Do I think he has gotten some good things done...yes. Is he better than Obama...yes but that bar is way too low to satisfy my expectations of a leader.
I think his biggest problem at the moment is he is trying to be a politician, trying to fence with the press and trying to please everybody. His speechifying is definitely sub-par. He is defiantly no William F. Buckley Jr.
or even a Will Rogers

But he does have some good ideas, the one about moving industry back to the U.S. has proved a winner. I supported it because I thought our supply lines were too vulnerable to attack or disruption. I never envisioned a pandemic. He saw the potential to lower the unemployment rate by encouraging manufacturing in the U:S. Him and his team did well with the court appointments so far.
I think him trying to sell a fence as the solution to illegal immigration wasn't well thought out. Fences are kind of like locks, designed to keep basically honest people honest, not a solution unless it is Fort Knox. I would have attacked the problem on the supply side and the end-user side and not so much at the border.

When I think of Hillary, Schumer, Pelosi, Schiff, Nadler and some others as President it makes me cringe. I cringe when I see Trump and Pence in the same room at the same time, Nancy is the next in line.

My answer to about half of the questions thrown at him during the average news conference would be "Thank you for the well thought out question, my answer is Bite Me, next question.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 03-28-2020 at 05:54 PM.
MudderChuck is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 05:48 PM
  #20  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Malvern Arkansas USA
Posts: 2,246
Default

How he treated Marie Yovanovitch should tell you everything you need to know about how Trump operates.
Why the dirty tricks when he could have simply replaced her at will?
I am on the same page as Champlain Islander
mr-pirk is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.