Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
A Simple Comparison >

A Simple Comparison

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

A Simple Comparison

Old 03-22-2020, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default A Simple Comparison

Caught an interview on the radio yesterday with a doctor who specializes in infectious diseases. Didn't catch his name so I can't source directly to it but he tossed out some figures that compared the last major pandemic to this one. The doctor noted the following:

During the H1N1 pandemic (aka Swine Flu) during 2009-2010 there were more than 60,000,000 American citizens that became infected. Of the number more than 300,000 American citizens ended up in the hospital and more than 20,000 died. The U.S. Govt waited for nearly 6 months before engaging the disease but at no time was there any panic, no intentional misinformation from the media and no political bickering. Additionally the doctor stated that American averages between 20,000 and 30,000 annual deaths to the flu. Never has that caused a panic.

In the 2009-2019 time frame OBozo was in office and the country experienced a much more severe pandemic than now but at no time was OBozo ever blasted by either the media or the opposition party. No governor or state senator attacked him, no nightly news program attacked him, no reporters hit him with "gotcha" questions. So why are they doing all the above to Trump who took much quicker action than OBozo did? The only rational explanation is this is an intentional political hit job just before an election.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

but your overlooking the "FACTS" your failing to drink democrat cool-aid,
and memorize the democrat talking points...
if theres a democrat in the white house
the media will be sure to verify, certify, and promote the "fact that"
nothing could ever be wrong with the way the country is managed
the media is like the band playing on the TITANIC as it sunk
don,t panic there nothing to worry about....
facts , we don,t need facts....if the democrats are in control..
Old 03-22-2020, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Panic buying and irresponsible "journalism" isn't helping anybody. Here is a rather sobering article: We're not going back... normal .The changes they discuss in the article are a little startling.

I guess the take away from all this is that the Novel Corona Virus appears to be much more deadly than H1N1 and our reaction to it was painfully slow. But we're on the right path now. It's just a matter of staying the course and looking out for each other as best we can.

ATB
Old 03-22-2020, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

remember H1N1 under obama
From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million),
274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306)
in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

yeah, covid19 seems to be more contagious, and potentially more serious
but the media all but ignored H1H1 with obama in the white house
12,469 deaths were not something you could ignore

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-22-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

It's an interesting comparison. I think the political aspect of it is pretty straight forward. The vast majority of the media then liked Obama and the vast majority of the media now don't like or hate Trump. Most people would agree that their bias one way or the other has affected their reporting.

As for comparing Swine Flu to Covid-19 flu, that's a little harder to quantify. Most of us simply didn't pay much attention to the flu back then. It was like a cold with a fever or the chills. You might go to the doctor or Urgent Care but for the most part, you just rode it out. People wouldn't shake hands or hold babies if they were sick but there weren't a lot of social distancing protocols being observed. It seems foolish now since that outbreak or pandemic is "estimated" to have infected almost a billion and a half people people worldwide and killed anywhere from 150,000 to over a half million worldwide.

Now compare that to Covid-19 flu. It originated in a foreign country, spread through much of the civilized world and is the first time in our lives where governments are taking the precaution of sheltering in place. Social media in the last few years has ramped up exponentially and the media appears to have a vested interest in finding fault rather that simply reporting the news. Most people are taking this seriously. Sadly, some are not even though their disinterest could be fatal for somebody else in their social circles. I don't think Covid-19 will get anywhere close to the swine flu from 2009-2010 with all of these precautions being taken. I do think government, business and other infrastructure will have had a valuable learning lesson on how to better prepare for the future.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I personally DO believe we will get back to normal, relatively soon. The idea that nothing will change soon is not, on balance, persuasive to my thinking. For example, what if in two weeks there is a drug combination -- already discussed quite a bit -- that is highly effective treating those who get really sick from this virus? What if you didn't have to be nearly so Draconian in social distancing because the system CAN handle the volume better, because a drug combination is available to rescue those who go into a tailspin in response to the virus? Remember, many people experience very modest results from the virus.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Think we are in for a long haul.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
Think we are in for a long haul.
Internationally governments are reacting to this thing in drastic ways. That leads me to believe it is deadly serious. I only half-listen to what the politicians have to say, I pay much more attention to what they do. Pretty much worldwide they are reacting in serious and drastic ways. They are walking a thin line between draconian measures, tanking the economy and inciting panic.

There is no way in heck the Germans are going to tank their economy on a whim. They are a pragmatic people and take money seriously. The Swiss and the Austrians manage to keep their countries prosperous without being major players in world politics, they are in panic mode.

Hounding Trump during a national emergency can't be helpful. He has to have better and more productive things to do than trade barbs with the media.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Alsatian View Post
I personally DO believe we will get back to normal, relatively soon. The idea that nothing will change soon is not, on balance, persuasive to my thinking. For example, what if in two weeks there is a drug combination -- already discussed quite a bit -- that is highly effective treating those who get really sick from this virus? What if you didn't have to be nearly so Draconian in social distancing because the system CAN handle the volume better, because a drug combination is available to rescue those who go into a tailspin in response to the virus? Remember, many people experience very modest results from the virus.
Did you read the link I attached above?
Old 03-22-2020, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck View Post
Internationally governments are reacting to this thing in drastic ways. That leads me to believe it is deadly serious. I only half-listen to what the politicians have to say, I pay much more attention to what they do. Pretty much worldwide they are reacting in serious and drastic ways. They are walking a thin line between draconian measures, tanking the economy and inciting panic.

There is no way in heck the Germans are going to tank their economy on a whim. They are a pragmatic people and take money seriously. The Swiss and the Austrians manage to keep their countries prosperous without being major players in world politics, they are in panic mode.

Hounding Trump during a national emergency can't be helpful. He has to have better and more productive things to do than trade barbs with the media.
At this point, Trump really needs to just get out of the way and let his experts handle this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.