Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Regulations Account for 25% of a New House >

Regulations Account for 25% of a New House

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Regulations Account for 25% of a New House

Old 02-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn View Post
That translates to about $3,000 in most places. No one disputes that safety measure add cost to construction. The point is, it's worth it to spend the extra money.
Construction safety isn't the only place that regulations cost money. Such as the regulations that businesses must abide by, to even be IN business.
Like Insurances, Bonding, vehicles, buildings, equipment......

Much less to build a home, and abide by the UDC (Uniform Dwelling Code) regulations.

This ALL costs money that is passed on to the consumer.
Who either pays more, or finds a more economical source of goods.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter View Post
Construction safety isn't the only place that regulations cost money. Such as the regulations that businesses must abide by, to even be IN business.
Like Insurances, Bonding, vehicles, buildings, equipment......

Much less to build a home, and abide by the UDC (Uniform Dwelling Code) regulations.

This ALL costs money that is passed on to the consumer.
Who either pays more, or finds a more economical source of goods.
That's right.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Easiest solution is to build in an area that doesn't require code compliance. There are still a lot of places like that, but you won't be near any cities. I'm looking at a 40 acre tract for a whopping $14,000 that is in such a location. If I jump on it I will build a totally off the grid cabin powered by solar and wind, heated with wood and using propane appliances. Since there is no code I can build whatever I want and live out the rest of my days in peace and quiet after I retire from teaching which is in 7 years. Lots of deer and some black bear in the area so I can fill the freezer. Run to the nearest town (50 miles away) for the basics and to refill a 100 lb propane tank and a 200 gallon water tank to put in a cistern. I'll have 2 pensions and can draw social security if there is anything left in that pot so I won't have to worry about $$$.

You are only bound by govt regulation if you agree to be bound by them.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's right.
Thanks for telling me what i already know. Of course I was RIGHT.
Regulations are HUGELY expensive. And NO business bears that alone. They pass that along to the consumer... Which is why Trump being is office has been so good for America.
By removing failed, and poor regulations. At a pace of about 7 to 1. He has eased the burden of Businesses AND Consumers.
Couple that with LOWERING taxes, and you get what we have now. A GROWING, EXPANDING economy. With rising wages and consumer confidence.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter View Post
Thanks for telling me what i already know. Of course I was RIGHT.
Regulations are HUGELY expensive. And NO business bears that alone. They pass that along to the consumer... Which is why Trump being is office has been so good for America.
By removing failed, and poor regulations. At a pace of about 7 to 1. He has eased the burden of Businesses AND Consumers.
Couple that with LOWERING taxes, and you get what we have now. A GROWING, EXPANDING economy. With rising wages and consumer confidence.
Your welcome. As for failed and poor regulations. I'll set aside the obvious and curious use of the word poor after a couple points. Regulations if they "fail" are do to a lack of enforcement. Which is supported by funding. So, I'll allow that a regulation can in fact be "poor" if there is no funding for enforcement. But could you provide a few examples of regulations which failed for reasons other than funding? Failing that. Could you provide a few examples of regulations which you feel are unwarranted?

Thank you.

ATB
Old 02-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags View Post
Easiest solution is to build in an area that doesn't require code compliance. There are still a lot of places like that, but you won't be near any cities. I'm looking at a 40 acre tract for a whopping $14,000 that is in such a location. If I jump on it I will build a totally off the grid cabin powered by solar and wind, heated with wood and using propane appliances. Since there is no code I can build whatever I want and live out the rest of my days in peace and quiet after I retire from teaching which is in 7 years. Lots of deer and some black bear in the area so I can fill the freezer. Run to the nearest town (50 miles away) for the basics and to refill a 100 lb propane tank and a 200 gallon water tank to put in a cistern. I'll have 2 pensions and can draw social security if there is anything left in that pot so I won't have to worry about $$$.

You are only bound by govt regulation if you agree to be bound by them.
We call those camps up here. 40 acres is the standard and dry sinks are common. But with the cash to set it up. You could really have something. Easily livable with compose toilets, and the internet. I'd think about a decent standby generator in case your solar goes down. Some guys are using Connex's or shipping containers for secure storage when they roam.

Last edited by Mickey Finn; 02-09-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

No deals like that in the area I live in flags. 40 acres for 14K...no way around these parts. Sounds like a great retirement place especially for an outdoors man. I could deal with it but Mrs. CI probably wouldn't care for it long term.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 02-09-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your welcome. As for failed and poor regulations. I'll set aside the obvious and curious use of the word poor after a couple points. Regulations if they "fail" are do to a lack of enforcement. Which is supported by funding. So, I'll allow that a regulation can in fact be "poor" if there is no funding for enforcement. But could you provide a few examples of regulations which failed for reasons other than funding? Failing that. Could you provide a few examples of regulations which you feel are unwarranted?

Thank you.

ATB
All of them. Lets start with Insulation regulations. How about speed limits. Or noise ordinances, Window tint levels, Price fixing for anything.

Now name a few that you THINK are warranted.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
No deals like that in the area I live in flags. 40 acres for 14K...no way around these parts. Sounds like a great retirement place especially for an outdoors man. I could deal with it but Mrs. CI probably wouldn't care for it long term.
That's why I will never willingly live east of the Mississippi River. I was stationed in the east while on active duty but as soon as I retired I put the Big Muddy to my backside and came back west. I understand about the wife. Mine won't do it long term either. I own other property so she can use one of them and I'll split my time. In all reality probably 2 weeks in and 2 weeks out.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I hear ya flags. I would probably move out too except this is where I have always lived. Family is all here and my current property would be a hard place to give up. Wife feels the same. 2 home town kids got married right out of hs and now in our early 70s not interested in anyplace else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.