Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Julian Assange to die in prison?

Old 11-11-2019, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Mickey, your video metaphor is hardly applicable. Some people truly offer nothing of value in their comments. In such cases, ignoring them hardly amounts to putting your head in the sand.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim View Post
hopefully England will send him here to the US where he can stand trial for printing the stolen emails. he knew it was wrong. thats why he doesnt want to be extradited to the US. he shoud be treated humanly until he is sent here.
If he gets extradited to the U.S., the question is, did he commit a crime as an Australian national operating outside of the U.S.? He didn't steal the data. Perhaps he should be charged under Australian law.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer View Post
He isn't? Isn't the death penalty on the table?
Not sure I guess it all depends on what he is charged with. Today I doubt that would happen though in our bleeding heart PC society.

Do you think Britain will convict him and sentence him to prison for some time before extradition? As I understand it, his only charge in the UK is jumping bail.
I think GB will send him along the pike for us to deal with him.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

What concerns me is that GB like many other countries have a problem extraditing prisoners to countries that have the death penalty.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

It is kind of funny when you sit back and look at some of the facts. In no particular order. Ecuador spent $10M (yup, that's $10 million) hosting Assange at their embassy over the last 7 years. After 6 years of their expensive housing bill for Assange, the Ecuadorians started talking to the UK, then Sweden and finally the US about extradition issues, charges Assange might face and whether those charges could end in a death sentence. I guess they figured out that maybe other countries were snickering behind their backs. Chelsea Manning got out in 2017 after serving 7 years of a 35 year sentence and Ecuador only took another year to start asking about Assange's potential charges and sentence. They were told no death penalty but waited another year until an indictment against Assange was unsealed and t was for a charge with only a 5-year maximum sentence. The US had 6 months to add charges but didn't so Assange is looking at a max sentence of 5 years after doing the Ecuadorian version of house detention for over 7 years. Oh yeah, there's some Russian news person stirring the pot that Assange could face the death penalty in the US but that's really sketchy and looks like Russia is just screwing with Ecuador cause they can.

So what does all of this mean? Assange will likely end up spending 12+ years under the equivalent of house arrest. He will be a hero to the loonies but most people will question his IQ level. And there will be lots of hand-wringing articles from wannabe journalists who don't understand protective custody and are quite willing to expose their ignorance in articles where they don't understand that people aren't laughing with them. Now if we could just snooker Ecuador into housing Assange for his 5-year sentence, the joke would be complete. Oh well.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mickey, your video metaphor is hardly applicable. Some people truly offer nothing of value in their comments. In such cases, ignoring them hardly amounts to putting your head in the sand.
It's totally applicable. You are new here and have missed a great deal that past before your arrival. Stick around...
Old 11-11-2019, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

If he gets extradited to the U.S., the question is, did he commit a crime as an Australian national operating outside of the U.S.? He didn't steal the data. Perhaps he should be charged under Australian law.
This doesn't make sense.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn View Post
It's totally applicable. You are new here and have missed a great deal that past before your arrival. Stick around...
Yup, that's the Truth... Both Mickey, and Erno are on "The List"... I'm wondering when I'll make it because I don't march in lockstep with Flags... If I'm not there already???

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 11-11-2019 at 08:51 PM. Reason: I should have followed threw
Old 11-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

That's apparently the beauty of the list. You never know if you're on it or not. Unless he responds to one of your posts.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

flags and I have a wager for the upcoming election. Maybe he'll grant me a reprieve at least until the votes are counted.

If he doesn't wounded warriors or the DAV will be out $50.00

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service