Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Julian Assange to die in prison?

Old 11-09-2019, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Good point, which is why I used the word "accused" instead of "charged". Closer to home, we have serious cultural problems with a citizenry who too often blur the lines between accused, charged, and convicted.

In our system of law, the treatment of Julian Assange requires a conviction. Not just charges and sure as HELL not just accusations.

Still, if extradited to the United States, it seems he could be easily charged with, and convicted of, espionage (NOT "treason", since he is not a U.S. citizen).
Old 11-09-2019, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default Dumb article

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer View Post
On this slow news day, Yahoo News decided to write about Assange's condition in prison and pretend that it is news.

https://news.yahoo.com/assange-may-d...165954491.html

Many of the comments (far more interesting than the actual "story") disturbed me, as they thought his dying in prison was a good thing. Now I am no fan of Julian Assange, but I think he deserves credit for outing Hillary Clinton (hard to believe so many people were stupid enough to ever like her). In either case, until he has his day(s) in court, he should be treated humanely. If the accusations of his treatment are true, it is a travesty of justice, regardless of what he has done.
I'm not saying your points aren't valid. They are. But, this article is sstuppid. The UN guy is complainning about arbitrariness and tortture. Say what??? That sounds llike a completely moronic statement. Assange's dad doesn't help either. His son could die in jaill. No explanation, not even a hint about why. Is he referring to old age? The reprter is incompetent. IMO, it's pointless to get worked up about this as there aren't any usable facts.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

I just heard that Robert Stone was the go-between the Trump White House and Julian Assange's WikiLeaks.

If Assange is extradited to the U.S., Trump might use him as a scapegoat, as a ways and means to attack and stifle our freedom of the press rights.

Last edited by Erno86; 11-09-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-09-2019, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by elkman30 View Post
I'm not saying your points aren't valid. They are. But, this article is sstuppid. The UN guy is complainning about arbitrariness and tortture. Say what??? That sounds llike a completely moronic statement. Assange's dad doesn't help either. His son could die in jaill. No explanation, not even a hint about why. Is he referring to old age? The reprter is incompetent. IMO, it's pointless to get worked up about this as there aren't any usable facts.
I suppose I should point out that my view of this article is colored by an article I read about a month ago. That article detailed a significant deterioration of Assange's health in some detail.

You're spot on about the article being essentially worthless, but I think that some of the comments made, especially by Assange's dad, were made in the (missing) context of previous reports of Assange's health.

The "arbitraryiness" quote was profoundly idiotic, as if someone can die from "arbitrary".
Old 11-09-2019, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Erno86 View Post
I just heard that Robert Stone was the go-between the Trump White House and Julian Assange's WikiLeaks.

If Assange is extradited to the U.S., Trump might use him as a scapegoat, as a ways and means to attack and stifle our freedom of the press rights.
I just heard that Kim Jong Un sent a million North Koreans to death camps under orders from Trump as a quid pro quo in exchange for more American Cheeze-its for his palace.

Trump can use Un as a scapegoat to evade responsibility for Trump's attack on Pearl Harbor and deprive us of our right to a speedy trial for parking violations.

This TDS is getting old fast.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Cub, I agree wholeheartedly with all of your comments, especially wiith innocent unntil proven guilty. I'd be interested in reading that other article about Assange's health issues if you have a link. If they're keeping him in custody, the Brits should have to provide adequate medical care. In some ways, they still haven't progressed much from the 1770's.

Regarding our resident TDS member, he has about 5 to 10 supporters who will jump on you in his defense if you point out any of his ludicrous claims. Its not logical but they're operating off of feelings.

Last edited by elkman30; 11-09-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Erno86 View Post

You heard! Sure you did.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
You heard! Sure you did.
What are you suggesting, Oldtimr? That all of the major Washington insiders and spy chiefs aren't feeding him top secret dossiers on a regular basis?
Old 11-09-2019, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry elkman, it was at least a month ago and I don't recall which news service printed the article.

Here is one example. As you know, every news outlet repeats the same story at the same time. Around this timeframe is when a slew of these "news" outlets issued the same report:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/21/wiki...-name-age.html
Old 11-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer View Post
What are you suggesting, Oldtimr? That all of the major Washington insiders and spy chiefs aren't feeding him top secret dossiers on a regular basis?
Not so fast...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service