Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
We got our F35A Lightnings >

We got our F35A Lightnings

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

We got our F35A Lightnings

Old 09-19-2019, 05:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default We got our F35A Lightnings

Vermont Air National Guard got the first 2 of 20 state of the art F35A lightning jet aircraft. We are the first guard unit in the country to get them. The old mission was using F16's. Of course the liberals are in an uproar saying we shouldn't have them. The air guard base employs almost 1000 local people. I didnt see the arrival but they flew over the airport for several passes and put in a mini air show. Looked pretty impressive on the evening news. The 16's often flew low and fast over the house headed to a military practice zone somewhere in upper ny state. We are 30 miles from the airport but their scramble path sometimes goes right over the island I live on. They leave the airport usually 2 or 4 at a time and go low and fast over the lake headed west. They go past before you can hear them. Pretty startling the first time it happens. I love the sound of freedom.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 09-19-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I love anything liberals hate!
Old 09-20-2019, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
I love anything liberals hate!
yeah they are really riled up over the new jets. They say the jets can carry tactical nuclear weapons so they are protesting all over the area. They tried to go through the liberally run cities in the area to petition the military to send them somewhere else but the Pentagon said if they don't get the jets the base will most likely close. The protests are all saying down with weapons of war. They want to take away our guns and now our jets.....
Old 09-20-2019, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
yeah they are really riled up over the new jets. They say the jets can carry tactical nuclear weapons
I have news for the LIB morons, any modern military jet can be configured to carry tactical nukes, even a fighter. Just a matter of doing a few changes to the muntions carry system. The delivery of the nukes may not be precision" but it will work. Next time one says that to you, point out my comment.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Duluth Air Base has been on the "proposed" chopping block a few times over the years, so am not sure if they'll ever see the 35's, but at least our current Representative is trying to get them there... IMHO, Pete Stauber is the best Representative my district has had in my lifetime...

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/op...-the-Northland
Old 09-21-2019, 02:30 AM
Dominant Buck

The press said we will get 2 per month until all 20 are here. Regular training flights will start in October probably after the next 2 aircraft arrive. The libs have been trying for 3 years to stop the F35 from being bedded at BTV. Having an aircraft of this caliber is a testament to the award winning Vermont ANG. Go Green Mountain Boys.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

About 10 years ago...while working construction for the FBI inside the Marine base at Quantico, Virginia --- I saw a F35 do a number of live dive bombing run tests.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I can't wait to see a full afterburner takeoff. The VTANG said they would only use afterburners 5 % of the time due to noise concerns. Periodically the aircraft have to go off the line with an unlimited takeoff. Really something to see. I was up in the Burlington FAA tower many years ago and the watch commander asked if I was interested in seeing an unlimited takeoff from the F16. I said sure and stuck around. They let me up in the observation deck so I could get the full effect of the noise and power of that "fighting falcon". Apparently there had been some major maintenance done to the aircraft and an unlimited takeoff under full power had to be done to clear the jet for service. I remember the call sign was something like maple one. Burlington ground control this is maple one taxi takeoff. Maple one this is ground point nine ....clear for taxi 1Alpha to the active. A few minutes later maple one requests unlimited takeoff leaving the pattern at 15K. Maple one cleared for unlimited takeoff by FAA regional. I could hear the roar with fire and black smoke billowing out of the tail on the F16. The jet started to roll and made it down the runway about 1500 feet and then it lifted off but remained level about 50 feet off the runway building speed. About 3/4 of the way down the runway it rotated straight up and rocketed almost out of sight where it flipped over and rotated back to level flight heading opposite to the direction it took off. It went from on the deck to 15K in just several seconds. It was really something to see and it was loud.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

While driving on the Capitol Beltway --- just outside of D.C. --- I did see a F17 Stealth fighter come in for a landing at Andrews Air Force Base.

While in Northern Ontario, Canada --- during a canoe trip by the YMCA --- I witnessed a low flyover of a B52.

While I was attending a NSA outdoor party near FT Mead, Maryland...I saw a F18 military jet pull straight up during a flyover and disappear from sight.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Yeah I have been a airplane nut since I was a kid. I got my private pilots license in 1971 while in the VTANG and was a member of their aero club. I put lots of training hours on a Piper Colt and several hundred hours on a Cessna 172 which I flew all over New England. While in the ANG I got a military hop on several different aircraft. If there wasn't any pending work operations in my chosen AFSC my unit commander allowed me to ride on wherever the transport planes were going on a day trip like to bring pilots for altitude chamber testing in the DC area. Back then we had a few T-33 two seat trainer jets. I got a ride in the T-33 backseat on a real training mission where we were the rabbit being chased and shot at with cameras by the EB-57 jets we had at the time. I had to go to an all day training to learn about the flight suit, helmet and ejection procedures. I would have loved to try my hand at flying that thing but was told to not touch anything and to use the barf bag if I got sick which I didn't. The trip lasted around an hour and we did lots of maneuvers trying to evade a camera hit by the EB- 57 Canberras. That all took place somewhere in northern NY state. I love to go to air shows and feel fortunate to have seen some really neat planes over the years. I have seen a stealth F117, F18, F16, F15, and my favorite F14 Tomcat at different air shows. My brother was on the America and scheduled a dependent day cruise out of Norfork Va. There was going to be an F14 show off the carrier but at the last minute they had a boiler blow up on the ship and had to cancel. That would have been a really great experience. I did get a hat for the occasion that I sometimes wear.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 09-21-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.