Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

NRA and GOA

Old 08-21-2019, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

From what I've read, it looks like the NRA will have to dump LaPierre or have a lot more legal problems. They'll have to tighten up the bylaws about spending, etc. and should commit to annual audits disclosed to at least members. Not a bad thing as WLP seems to have run out of new ideas on how to advance the organization further and instead is simply feathering his nest.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

While both of these articles are damning, the first one rehashes information already brought out while the 2nd appears to give more behind the scenes information that wasn't so widely known.
Two more NRA board members resigned. Board member Richard Childress was the NRA first vice president. He assisted Oliver North in the preparation of documents that got this ball rolling.

The NRA has legal problems that transcend WLPs tenure as CEO. WLP could resign today and the three investigations into the NRA tax exempt status will continue. The attorney general of the state of New York is taking her good old time overturning every rock.

Folks who are following this train wreck closely say at least one board member has been given immunity from prosecution. Look for the New York attorney general to announce something in the time frame November 2019 to primary election time 2020. Do not underestimate the ability of the New York attorney general. She forced Donald Trump to agree to dissolve the Trump Foundation.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Earlier this week a New York judge ruled that the NRA may not observe the questioning of Oliver North:

"Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Melissa Ann Crane said the presence of NRA lawyers during questioning of Oliver North under oath would interfere with the ongoing investigation by State Attorney General Letitia James. The sit-down was scheduled for Tuesday.

“Having the NRA or its board sit in on an investigatory deposition by law enforcement could have the serious consequence of compromising the integrity of the investigation, particularly given the acrimonious relationship between the NRA and Mr. North,” Crane said, ruling from the bench."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...0190819-5pjfujeciveijcujnwnbhbitb4-story.html
Old 08-28-2019, 05:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fighting for Second Amendment rights is the realm of the NRA-ILA. La Pierre has fired the lawyers fighting gun three gun rights cases in IL.

The purges continue:

In fact, without the NRA-ILA support, the trio of Guns Save Life lawsuits, including the one we won that blocked the Deerfield gun and magazine ban, likely would not have happened.

But when it comes to these lawsuits, we no longer have the NRA-ILA’s support. On Saturday morning, I got a call from our attorneys. They informed me that Wayne LaPierre had severed the relationship between the NRA and the Cooper & Kirk law firm. It seems NRA EVP and CEO Wayne LaPierre saw Charles Cooper as part of the so-called insurrection attempt against his not-so-benevolent leadership. In Wayne’s world, that meant Cooper had to go.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wa...is-gun-owners/
Old 08-29-2019, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I contacted the GOA and recently signed up as a new member. Let's see how they do vs the NRA. I keep hearing more and more bad news about LaPierre and the NRA, their BofD, etc... that they seriously need to get Wayne to "grab the golden parachute" and resign and walk away...

You don't see the GOA in such a mess like this! I mean, yeah, the NRA is the "800 pound gorilla in the room" as it has always been said. But the GOA is the "nasty rabid pitbull in the room" also!
Old 08-29-2019, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

And the GOA is not small by any means. Over 2million if I remember correctly.

-Jake
Old 08-30-2019, 04:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Josh Powell is the COO of the NRA, drawing an $800,000 annual salary. Josh Powell was accused of sexual harassment by an NRA employee. In 2017 the NRA paid to settle the case. Then in 2018 Josh Powell was accused of harassing an Ackerman-McQueen employee. In 2018 Ack-Mac barred Powell from contact with it's employees.

The employee’s complaint was settled in 2017 using the nonprofit’s funds, according to three sources familiar with the matter. Earlier that year, Wayne LaPierre, the organization’s leader, had promoted Powell to executive director of general operations.

ProPublica could not confirm the settlement amount, which is not noted in the nonprofit’s public filings. In a statement, John Frazer, the NRA’s general counsel and secretary, told ProPublica that Powell denied the allegations.

“The NRA opted to confidentially resolve the matter in the best interest of all involved,” Frazer said.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………..

In a separate harassment dispute in 2018, Powell’s behavior toward a woman who works for Ackerman McQueen, then the NRA’s advertising firm, escalated tensions in their decadeslong business relationship and caused Ackerman to bar him from any further contact with its employees.

Ackerman told ProPublica in a written statement that the firm “formally declared to Mr. LaPierre that it would not have any more dealings with Mr. Powell.” Ackerman said there was “clear reason to believe supported by evidence that he sexually harassed one of our employees and we would not tolerate his further involvement with any of our employees in order to protect their right to a safe work environment.”

Ackerman said the NRA “refused to cooperate” in addressing the complaint against Powell. Instead, Ackerman said Powell received “the full support of Mr. LaPierre and the board of directors.”

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………………………………………………

In June, Robert Brown, an NRA board member, emailed LaPierre and Frazer about Powell. ProPublica obtained a copy of the note, which is addressed to Frazer. “John,” it says, “Since Wayne refuses to respond to my emails, plez pass on to him the message below.”

“Wayne,” the message reads, “At the last NRA BoD meeting, you promised me you were going to terminate that worthless scoundrel, Josh Powell, in 60 days. Well, 60 days have passed. When are you going to fire him?”
https://www.propublica.org/article/n...t-top-official
Old 08-30-2019, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon View Post
It gets worse:

Julie Golob, world class shooter, resigned from the NRA board.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fo...&OCID=AVRES000

The New York attorney general has subpoenaed 90 present and former NRA board members.
The quitter never should have been on the board.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

I'm curious. Why should she have never been on the board?
Old 08-30-2019, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
The quitter never should have been on the board.
Well, technically, she's not on the board since she quit. I'm not sure that she should have never been on the board. She's a professional shooter, teaches guns stuff and was involved in a lot of NRA programs that she is apparently still going to be involved in with the NRA's blessing. That doesn't seem like it would have disqualified her from being a director.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service