Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

My letter to the NRA...

Old 06-30-2019, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mrbb makes a great point as far as who is well known. I've never heard a politician promise to fight the G.O.A.

All I'm saying is that I will not blindly renew with the NRA like I have in the past. I intend to contact and speak with my local field representative. (Their info is in the magazine or online) I intend to do my homework. And there's nothing wrong with that.

No they aren't perfect and they don't do everything the way I would. But historically they've done a good job.

Also, for the long time members and life members, many of them do not do their research and vote for the board of directors each year like we should be doing. Even though it's easy to do.

I believe Butch's point, and I do think that it's a good one, is that the only thing that will drive change is if they see drops in the membership. And if they feel it financially. I think that if WLP is as passionate for the cause as he claims to be then he should step down and get out of the way. For the simple fact that it's causing turmoil and that many of the membership do not trust him. But I doubt that will happen willingly.

-Jake
Old 06-30-2019, 05:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala View Post
Mrbb makes a great point as far as who is well known. I've never heard a politician promise to fight the G.O.A.

All I'm saying is that I will not blindly renew with the NRA like I have in the past. I intend to contact and speak with my local field representative. (Their info is in the magazine or online) I intend to do my homework. And there's nothing wrong with that.

No they aren't perfect and they don't do everything the way I would. But historically they've done a good job.

Also, for the long time members and life members, many of them do not do their research and vote for the board of directors each year like we should be doing. Even though it's easy to do.

I believe Butch's point, and I do think that it's a good one, is that the only thing that will drive change is if they see drops in the membership. And if they feel it financially. I think that if WLP is as passionate for the cause as he claims to be then he should step down and get out of the way. For the simple fact that it's causing turmoil and that many of the membership do not trust him. But I doubt that will happen willingly.

-Jake
I think most if not all of the large non profits are all top heavy with much of the revenue going to inflated salaries. They still have their place and perform some needed functions including making the CEO and BOD's big money.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

-Jake
Thanks... I wrote that letter just trying to speak for the "regular guy" type of aspect... WLP is not a "regular guy" and has turned the NRA into a dictatorship.

Hollywood actor Tom Selleck quit the NRA Board of Directors.
Oliver North quit as President of the NRA.
Chris Cox (NRA-ILA) resigned.
...and recently You Tube member "Hickok45" denounced the NRA on his You Tube channel.

This may anger some, but truthfully and straight from the heart, WLP is being viewed as a shyster and a snake-oil salesman, so far removed from the "common man" that he lost his way in his Ivory Tower. He needs to resign so the NRA can move forward and get back on track of protecting the 2nd Amendment!
Old 06-30-2019, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

-Jake
thanks I guess
BUT on your part of this, and this is what worries me some what!
Jake[/QUOTE]is that the only thing that will drive change is if they see drops in the membership And if they feel it financially.-Jake[/QUOTE]

the worry I have is this, if folks THINK there going to strong arm the NRA by dropping memberships and costing them $$$
, what happens if this drop then causes laws to get passed, or likes, due to lack of funding to challenge things, lack of numbers on the NRA side to show strength
WHAT IF??
Once the show of force or numbers is down, they will become weak and things can happen at that point that won't be turned back!

IF any gun owner thinks lower the strength of the largest PRO gun organization ,that has the strongest voice in out there and record to back it up! standing up for ALL gun owners,.
I'd have to say there NUTS
I will also say, if anyone thinks the $25.00 bucks or so a yr is too much to pay for ALL the GOOD the NRA does for them, protecting there rights as a gun owner and to keep guns in there hands>
this too is silly to me, as I am sure most all gun owners waste thins much cash on countless other frivolous things throughout the yr!
Even with the few bad sides to the NRA(and I agree there are some) for all the good again, 25 bucks is a small price to pay and should.;t , IMO be a debate period!
What does anyone think is going to happen, NOT giving there membership fee's
YOU really think positive changes will happen, without more negative side effects!
IF things go south, and something get by , you think THEN giving your 25 bucks back, in a membership will correct things??
its plain and simple, strength in numbers folks, lower them numbers and the strength the NRA has now, with ONLY a small percentage of gun owners being members NOW<, will be a downfall, countless anti's want to see happen!

IF anyone doesn';t like something the NRA is doing, you can STILL be a member and write them, try and get numbers on your side to speak up, .
By weakening the best thing gun owners have to try and make a change??
I am sure there are countless NRA members that don't get involved,but yet there membership does good, just as I am sure, many members do get involved in many ways and make things happen!

NOW as for having many board members step down, I doubt that shows anything!
the folks listed are not YOUNG anymore, have lives that maybe they prefer to retire and enjoy without working, maybe don;t like all the negative media bashing and hate mail I am sure they get!
Anyone that THINKS being a board member in the NRA, is a easy job, or one many want period, are kidding themselves!
I would gather its a pretty crappy job at times and takes a special type of person to want to have it!
dislikes by millions of anti gun folks, liberals, and even there own NRA members at times!
I can see many stepping down, after a while in it! IMO!
no shock or surprises there to me!
the NRA was lucky for so many yrs to have many great leaders in it that did what they did for so long, but at same time, that was also before the modern era or internet and world wide bashing, hatred that happens so fast over every word or thing you do today!
I could only imagine what all went on, before we had video camera's every where like we do, I'd bet a lot of folks that Thought/think, the previous members were so great, actually were any better than what there are now in ANY company!
heck as accusations keep coming up on so many famous folks that were loved, and NOW hated!

pretty simple deal to me, be a gun owner, JOIN the NRA< they DO defend our rights, better than any other group out there period! and without them, things might go south fast!

want the NRA to be BETTER
, again, JOIN and make them better!
Old 06-30-2019, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been an NRA member for many years. Over the years if have on several occasion renewed for 2 or 3 years before my membership had expired,extending my membership. I guess it was two years ago, my prepaid years had expired and I inadvertently let it completely go out. I stated getting calls daily to renew. I put it off for a couple weeks just because I was busy, and it wasn't at the top of my list of things to do. In that couple of weeks, I was getting call after call, and as each day went, I was really starting to get tired of the incessant badgering. So, I finally got around to send my dues in hoping I would finally get peace.
Well, the calls did finally quit.
The problem now is that even though I am paid up for most of the next year, the calls have started again. I am getting 2 to 3 calls everyday. I answered them for a while, but now I know that if my phone rings, and if it is a local area code, and I do not recognize the number, it is the NRA. Last week I answered, and sure enough the gentleman started his spill, "Wayne has asked me to call all my local members....yadda, yadda,..." and me being at work, and a little short tempered, I cut him off and said,
"You know, tell Wayne that calling me every day, several times a day is not helping a cause we both believe in," and then I apologized to him for letting loose on him. He said he understood, but, my phone is still ringing daily.
Maybe someone here can tell me how to stop the daily calls.

All that said, I believe the NRA is important. I do know the left and the Bloomberg group is trying to cripple the NRA, and that is why I am somewhat skeptical about some of the things I am hearing,
I believe they need to address what is going on, because silence only gives credibility to what everybody is hearing.

C. Davis
Old 06-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

I can't imagine the NRA is surviving on the $25/year from memberships or however much it is now. And that's not really even the money I'm concerned about. That's a good deal just for the magazine. (Although the amount of related hunting articles in American Hunter is a whole other topic...)

I'm talking about the additional money donated throughout the year that I send in.

-Jake
Old 06-30-2019, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
------------------- cut 'n pasted from MS Word ----------------------------
June 29th, 2019

NRA Executive Offices
11250 Waples Mill Rd
Fairfax, VA 22030
Attn: Board of Directors

Subj: Personal opinion on the direction the NRA needs to take

Good morning, as seen in the attached scanned image of my expired NRA membership card, I have voluntarily let it lapse.

{scanned image of my membership card from 2012}

The reason I chose to let my membership lapse, along with not displaying the NRA symbol on my Virginia license plates (I changed plates) anymore, is due to the state of affairs and financial trouble the NRA is currently in.

Over the years, a lot of people, such as myself, have come under the assumption that a lot of “misappropriation” of membership dollars has been made by your CEO, Mr. Wayne LaPierre. $200,000 Italian suits, a gigantic mansion for a home, not to mention numerous fancy vacations to overseas places. When other high profile Board of Director members brought the above suspicions to light, they were ousted rather quickly, or they “politely resigned” and walked away.

The NRA needs to get back on track of caring about its members, standing up for the 2nd Amendment, and to be honest and straight from the heart – Do whatever is necessary to get Mr. LaPierre to step down as CEO and appoint someone more deserving of the title.

I know this is extremely harsh to say, and might even be a tad offensive, especially in the eyes of the Lord above, but in my own personal opinion, Mr. LaPierre and Pastor Joel Osteen are “cut from the same cloth” as the saying goes. Lavish lifestyles, multi-millionaires, private jets, etc… and are so far removed from the “common man”, that they lost their focus on what really matters to the rest of us.

In closing, I will immediately renew my NRA membership, once Mr. LaPierre is no longer CEO.

Respectfully,

{my full name/address}

------------------------ end of cut 'n paste --------------------------------
Well it's your money and there is nothing wrong with raising hell and shaking the tree from time to time.

Wayne LaPierre has always held his own under pressure most don't ever face. He's stood up for gun owners and that's what I remember right now. If I didn't dump them for all that weak minded republican/tea bag stuff. I'm not going to dump them for some anonymous leaks about a little money. If he has done wrong then the NRA will sort it out.

ps If it wasn't for junk mail all I'd get are bills. lol
Old 06-30-2019, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't imagine the NRA is surviving on the $25/year from memberships or however much it is now. And that's not really even the money I'm concerned about. That's a good deal just for the magazine. (Although the amount of related hunting articles in American Hunter is a whole other topic...)

I'm talking about the additional money donated throughout the year that I send in.

-Jake
yes I can agree with you
but it all falls back to this.
who is the largest most feared gun group out there?
and WHY is it so?
it does have a LOT to do with membership SIZE and pure amount of members , there is just power in numbers!

so, NOT being a member of the organization, is NOT helping any gun owner!
cry about phone calls or the CEO having a big income all you want, NOT being a member isn;t going to change this either IMO<
all its going to do is some where down the road, allow the anti gunner's to gain more ground!
if more gun owner period were members, .it would only be a stronger organization and better for all gun owners!

you DON"T have to like all things in the NRA !
as a member you DO have a voice and can use it, get more like minded members on your side and YOU can change things!
but NOT being a member, does NOTHING to protect our gun rights!

I am a Life time member, and I have NOT received a phone call from them since election time, less than a call a yr here?
BUT I will admit I get junk mail at least 3 times a month or so!

I get far more autobot phone calls daily(some times 12+ a day, and think this should be a darn crime), plain and simple for me, if I don;t know the number I don';t answer it, let it go to b=voice mail, and if real call, and need be, call right back!

again,m the NRA isn't perfect
but they do more good than bad for ALL gun owners, and should be something all gun owners want to be a part of!, IMO
Old 06-30-2019, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

I am seeing a vision of Mickey with his morning coffee, sorting his mail into one pile of bills and a 2nd pile for NRA mail, etc.

There are a lot of good points made here and I want to thank Butch for starting the topic and bringing this stuff up. It's needed. IMHO, anybody wasting $200K on a foreign made suit is throwing their money away. You could go to a Men's Wearhouse and buy something pretty dapper for under $1K and have a LOT of money left over for guns, ammo and hunting trips. Better yet, buy a sports jacket and have even more money left over.

I liked what mrbb had to say. I'm also a life member and will not tear up my membership card like Bush 1. I get junk mail about 4-5 times a year and it's usually the fundraising mail where you can win guns, etc. I can live with that. I've also noted that the NRA is THE pro-gun organization that all the antis and pols talk about and fear. Let's face it--The ILA part of the NRA does a great job with the limited money they have. Most of our victories either in court or some election have the NRA mixed into the frays on our side. And since I can't go around to all 50 states and their respective pols in the Senate & House, the NRA does represent me with as many of those people as they can.

I also agree with mrbb about not quitting the NRA but I have a slightly different take on it. Yes, less members means less money, members and clout but it also means less people to agitate for changes or improvements. If everybody who thinks the NRA could improve things drops out of membership, how does anybody expect things to improve?

The NRA needs new blood and it needs more members. Depending on whose #'s you use, the NRA has anywhere from 5 million to 10 million members (maybe 5-10% of gun-owners). Most estimates on gun-owners in this country put the total #'s of gun-owners at 100 million or so. Just think of the clout if the NRA had 100 million members. That's bigger than any political party and would substantially change a lot of stuff in this country. I don't think we'll ever see all gun-owners join the NRA because gun-owners are in all parts of the political spectrum. But I would love to see the NRA's membership grow to 20 or 30 million members. And I would also like to see the next generation get involved. Just think if one of you guys was on the NRA's Board of Directors. How cool would that be. I bet all of us could get off the junk mail list and offer lots of great suggestions on how to improve things.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, Cal...

I wrote that letter because I just wanted to try and point out to the NRA that a lot of people are raising questions and saying, "Hey, wait a minute now... What's up with this?" Once people start looking into the Wayne LaPierre's shenanigans, it brings up a valid point.

Nobody wants the NRA to disappear - obviously! Everyone needs to stick together and support gun rights, gun ownership, etc... But then again, we need someone who better represents "the common man" to be in charge.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service