Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Colleges Telling Students, Its OK To Fail, Your Check Has Been Cashed >

Colleges Telling Students, Its OK To Fail, Your Check Has Been Cashed

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Colleges Telling Students, Its OK To Fail, Your Check Has Been Cashed

Old 04-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Colleges Telling Students, Its OK To Fail, Your Check Has Been Cashed

https://apnews.com/c6bde0dd123a4b81a2388d3c28830a24

So kids are stressed out about school. What's new? However, school today ain't cheap and kids are going into debt and find out, school loans stick with you for life if you don't pay them off.

Bentley is one of the top financial institutions in the country. It rivals ivy League It also comes with a huge tuition cost like most colleges specially private and out of state. Shouldn't schools also share in their students debt if they fail? The flip side, what happens if they start and then act like public schools that just advance kids to get rid of them?
Old 04-04-2019, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

I was in a class in college where the majority, including myself, failed the first test. Badly.

I knew when I started the test that we were not taught, or given access to, the information that we were being tested on.

So, I went to the Profs office to discuss the situation with him. Getting nowhere, I went higher up the line and eventually the professor was replaced in the class.

I don't know why he was replaced or if I had anything to do with him being replaced, but I would guess that I wasn't the only one that had issues with him.

I'm not one to complain, and I'm definitely not one to go after someone's job. But he was clearly not doing his job, and he was unwilling to discuss the situation.

One thing I tell people when the college subject comes up is to make sure that you get what you are paying for. While it's nice to get out early occasionally, if a professor is letting you out early every class.... There's an issue.

One thing that separates college from high school, and even things like the military and police academies and certain required trainings for our jobs is that in college you are there willingly and you are paying for a service. There are lazy professors out there just like in every other career field. Don't let them hinder your education.

-Jake
Old 04-04-2019, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Those are good points Jake. From what I've seen, a lot of people going to college don't have that much savvy or do that much due diligence. Many people graduate from college with no specific job or career in mind, despite have a specific degree. Having said that, I'd bet a a survey of members who have a college degree and is their job in their field of study at college would be interesting.

Last edited by CalHunter; 04-05-2019 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Sp.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

I'll be first Cal, Engineering degree from GT, and I own and operate a security and protection service. So no sir, not even close to my electrical engineering studies.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

If you're not going to college with a plan and a goal in mind you're wasting your time and money.

It took me about a year to realize that. I was the first in my family to go to college. And it was just always understood while I was growing up that I was going to go to college and "use my brain not my body" to make a living.

So I applied for the scholarships, applied to the schools, and got in. Quickly losing interest in my chosen area of study I changed my major to something that interested me. Criminal Justice.

Now at the time of graduating, i sort of realised that I had a worthless degree. But again, I was the first in my family to go to school and we really didn't know any better. Get a degree was the goal.

Moving on in my career in law enforcement the degree has begun to open doors and I can tell that it will open more in the future. But initially it wasn't a degree that I could just leave school and start making good money. I had to get myself through academy, get some experience and get hired some where.

If I could go back I likely wouldn't go the college route. I would have tried to move West and get into something like welding or another trade that could be used on the oil fields, mining, etc

-Jake
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 04-04-2019, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

My wife decided she wanted to go to school last year . And I agreed as long as it was a useful degree. She's now in nursing school and has about a year and a half left.

I'm looking forward to her graduating and hoping that I can work less over time once she starts making $$$$

-Jake
Old 04-04-2019, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bailed out of college, I saw no future in it, not my thing. Though due to my test scores I was encouraged to stay, I always did have a talent for tests.
I did an apprenticeship as a Pipefitter, went to school nights. My second year I was making almost triple what a typical college grad was making. Working hard, getting dirty and being out in the elements never did bother me much.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never went to college... Didn't have a choice... After the infamous, "showdown" with my father (a WWII Staff Sergeant, 6'3", and 250 lbs at the time) and me a long haired punk kid with a serious attitude problem at 5"11" and 150 lbs soaking wet... You can see where this is going!

You guessed it... I did the most stupidest thing anyone could do. I got mad and tried to take a swing at him! He moved back, and all I did was punch the cigar out of his mouth. I won't go into gory details on what happened after that, but let's just say that after I picked myself up, he looked at me with a look that I will take to my grave. It was like, "Have you lost your mind?" with anger and outrage all mixed together.

He said the famous words, "You got two choices: (1) Go pack your duffle bag, and let's go to the military recruiting office", or (2) GET OUT. Get out and don't you (his voice breaking) EVER come back! Go live on the streets like a bum!" -- you could clearly tell he was angry, hurt, and seriously disappointed in me. I guess he had higher hopes in me and not an obnoxious, lazy, high school grad with no outlook in life.

So.... I took his advice, saw the writing on the wall, and we drove to the military recruiting station (everybody --- Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard).. The Army was already out, as two of my brothers-in-law were in the Army in Vietnam and told me some bad stuff. I got scared away by the Marines when we walked in the door and the buzz cut recruiter rubbed his hands together and growled, "Come on in, boy!", and I shook in my shoes and went, "Uh... No thanks.." I really liked the Air Force, but then, I was always into boating and have driven small boats since I was 10. I considered the Navy too, but in the end, I went towards the Coast Guard. Even as a kid, I knew channel markers, buoys, navigation, etc... so the Coast Guard was a natural choice for me.

...and that was that. I enlisted in the Coast Guard and made it a career instead of going to college. I earned 62 semester hours through various courses, schools, seminars, where they "translated" my whole career into college credits & degrees through the DANTES program. I actually have an Associates Degree in Business Administration without ever stepping foot in a college, and the certificate is from the NY State Regents College (my home of record at the time). In this day and age, an Associates is meaningless, but, at least it was something!
Old 04-05-2019, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
I earned 62 semester hours through various courses, schools, seminars, where they "translated" my whole career into college credits & degrees through the DANTES program. I actually have an Associates Degree in Business Administration without ever stepping foot in a college, and the certificate is from the NY State Regents College (my home of record at the time). In this day and age, an Associates is meaningless, but, at least it was something!
I tried to tell some people about military schools and how great they were. I went to every course I could. Like any system, I scammed the system. Units were always getting levies for one course or another, most people resisted living out of a duffel bag for months at a time while at school. I kept a school kit packed and ready to go, my test scores were high enough I qualified for most any course, I kept my documentation ready. I got chummy with the training Officer and training NCO. I spent 3-4 months a year at school. I always had at least three correspondence courses going. If you came out top in your class it was almost always good for automatic promotion (a raise).
Old 04-05-2019, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life View Post
I'll be first Cal, Engineering degree from GT, and I own and operate a security and protection service. So no sir, not even close to my electrical engineering studies.
Houston, I think we identified the problem... GT. Just kidding Friendly school rivalry stuff.

Many do go through school and do something completely different. I have a friend who graduated a semester after I did with a EE (claimed his GPA went up after I graduated lol) spent several years making chips. Left EE and is now a Chef. My wife got a PE degree, now she is a very successful business owner in the medical field Nothing to do with PE. Many doctors start out as engineers. my family went engineering or doctor route. I though about the doctor route but there is always the one person who I see after that thought and say, no way. I don't want to see them with their clothes off.

Again though, what responsibility should a school have to ensure kids do succeed? Or do we cut off the easy money so schools can't raise their cost faster than inflation?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service