Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Trade Deficit Hit New Record

Old 03-07-2019, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Thank God. Best news I've heard all day!
Old 03-07-2019, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

"The trade deficit increase was driven by some factors outside of Mr. Trump's control, like a global economic slowdown...and...the relative strength of the United States dollar, both of which weakened overseas demand for American goods. But the widening gap was also exacerbated by Mr. Trumps $1.5 trillion dollar tax cut, which has been largely financed by government borrowing, and the trade war he escalated last year.

Economists have long warned that Mr. Trump's tax cuts would ultimately exacerbate a trade deficit he has vowed to reduce, as Americans, flush with extra cash, bought more imported goods."

quote: NYT's - Thursday, March 7, 2019
Old 03-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
Thank God. Best news I've heard all day!
Yeah I believe that.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by rockport View Post
Yeah I believe that.
who has honesty issues?

You will get no more from me unless you decide to be a big boy.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Erno86 View Post
"The trade deficit increase was driven by some factors outside of Mr. Trump's control, like a global economic slowdown...and...the relative strength of the United States dollar, both of which weakened overseas demand for American goods. But the widening gap was also exacerbated by Mr. Trumps $1.5 trillion dollar tax cut, which has been largely financed by government borrowing, and the trade war he escalated last year.

Economists have long warned that Mr. Trump's tax cuts would ultimately exacerbate a trade deficit he has vowed to reduce, as Americans, flush with extra cash, bought more imported goods."

quote: NYT's - Thursday, March 7, 2019
please, revenues have hit a record highs. The tax cuts have nothing to do with trade deficits except indirectly by achieving an stronger economy which not only Obama couldn't achieve (first president ever) but actually told us we would have to get use to current conditions because it would never get better.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
who has honesty issues?
lol You think that was getting more from me?
Old 03-07-2019, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Because he is using it as leverage in negotiations. Trade deficits are power at the negotiating table.

That is precisely why China is even at the table.

Much the same way he wanted to "get out of NATO."

These people don't just come to the table and give things away. They have to be forced to the table and have things taken away.
Not sure how deficits are a point of leverage at the negotiating table... As FM pointed out, it's the people that are buying the majority of goods... No matter how much the "government" of China promises to buy more goods, if their economy is on a downward slide, the "people" of China are not going to buy more goods because they simply don't have the money to do so...

Also, as Erno pointed out, Trump himself is at least in part responsible for the increasing trade deficit... It is in part due to Americans having more money to spend as a result of the tax cut bill... Go figure???
Old 03-07-2019, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog View Post
Not sure how deficits are a point of leverage at the negotiating table... As FM pointed out, it's the people that are buying the majority of goods... No matter how much the "government" of China promises to buy more goods, if their economy is on a downward slide, the "people" of China are not going to buy more goods because they simply don't have the money to do so...

Also, as Erno pointed out, Trump himself is at least in part responsible for the increasing trade deficit... It is in part due to Americans having more money to spend as a result of the tax cut bill... Go figure???
Whats not to understand? Less tariffs from china means the people of China can afford to buy more of our products, they steal from us, they prop up NK under the table and on and on. There are lots of things to negotiate and we are the largest importer of Chinese goods in the world. Its hard for me to wrap my head around still not understanding what is going on here.

If Trump gets another term we will end up with a better deal with China(maybe even in this term) and it will be because Trump used the trade deficit as negotiating power.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whats not to understand? Less tariffs from china means the people of China can afford to buy more of our products, they steal from us, they prop up NK under the table and on and on. There are lots of things to negotiate and we are the largest importer of Chinese goods in the world. Its hard for me to wrap my head around still not understanding what is going on here.

If Trump gets another term we will end up with a better deal with China(maybe even in this term) and it will be because Trump used the trade deficit as negotiating power.
Rock... To be clear,,, Was it not Trump that introduced new tariffs on China? Which in turn resulted in new tariffs on us?

Who do these tariffs benefit? Certainly not the citizens of the U.S.

One of the biggest products that China steals from us is "intellectual property"... Don't quite see how that issue is being addressed with tariffs... Maybe it will wash out, but am not seeing it at this point...

So far, by most accounts, Trumps tarrifs are more of a burden on the U.S. consumers than anyone else...
Old 03-08-2019, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog View Post
Rock... To be clear,,, Was it not Trump that introduced new tariffs on China? Which in turn resulted in new tariffs on us?

Who do these tariffs benefit? Certainly not the citizens of the U.S.

One of the biggest products that China steals from us is "intellectual property"... Don't quite see how that issue is being addressed with tariffs... Maybe it will wash out, but am not seeing it at this point...

So far, by most accounts, Trumps tarrifs are more of a burden on the U.S. consumers than anyone else...
It doesn't seem like you are trying very hard to understand the point.

No the tariffs are more a burden on Chinas economy than anything else. That is why they are at the negotiating table but yes it is a temporary burden on U.S. consumers and exporters.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service