Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Total expense of Trump's golf outings = $83 million >

Total expense of Trump's golf outings = $83 million

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Total expense of Trump's golf outings = $83 million

Old 12-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

If you brought it up for Obama, but make excuses for Trump, you are hypocrit
Old 12-11-2018, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

Your comment came directly after mine so it may or may not be directed at me. If it's not, no worries. If it is, I was kinda happy when Obama played golf as it kept him occupied. But putting that personal observation aside, all of these stories about what President spends how much playing golf are pretty disingenuous. First of all, the figures vary wildly. No consistent cost. 2nd, the people writing (making up) these stories don't really know how golf any given President plays since they don't have that kind of access. A lot of the costs for a President playing golf are derived from what the Air Force says it costs per hour to fly Air Force 1. That figure changes which can change the costs. Then you have those "other costs." The Secret Service is supposed to guard the president 24/7, regardless of where he is or what he is doing (playing golf or working at the WH).

Then you have the business aspect of golf. A lot of businessmen conduct business while playing golf. I'm not in that kind of business but recognize that such a dynamic exists. I remember a while back, Trump met the Chinese President at Mar-A-Lago and they discussed quite a few things regarding trade, etc. Just because a President is out of the WH or on a golf course does not mean he isn't taking care of business. I can see the separate planes thing with the Obamas and them bringing LOTS of extended family at taxpayer expense, etc. But bagging on Obama, Trump or any other President for playing golf a lot ignores the fact that not all business is handled or transacted in the WH between 9 and 5. Having said that, I do recognize the OP's intent to stir things up. But he ought to do his homework if he is seeking results.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

I've always thought the golf thing is a bit of a red herring also. There is simply no way anybody can present a precise cost due to some parts being classified. So figures aren't that useful. And how many times have any of us sat in a tree-stand or glassing a hill while thinking about some problem or other thing non-hunting related. Is the OP arguing that Trump can't multitask?
Old 12-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by elkman30 View Post
Your comment came directly after mine so it may or may not be directed at me. s.
I meant in general. Same for the guys who though morals mattered when it was Bill. But now say we hired him to do a job, not his morals.

For the record, I may be niave, but I do want a leader with morals. But I think we have given up on that. Gone like the buffalo.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
I've always thought the golf thing is a bit of a red herring also. There is simply no way anybody can present a precise cost due to some parts being classified. So figures aren't that useful.in:
Costs probably add up different depending on who is cyphering. Not like he is going to lay off secret service employees if he stays in.

Though you should be able to add some kind of cost for all the times Obama flew all over.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

That's kind of the problem with all of this stuff. We're never going to get the true costs and, from what I can tell, most of these articles use pretty shoddy accounting so they don't really know either. Then you have the work a President does when he goes to someplace outside the WH. It's pretty difficult to quantify and nothing is all business or all pleasure. It's kind of like our company flying us somewhere for business. After the day is done, why wouldn't we go check out the place outside of work?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

Business are all about accounting now. They will say it took this many hours, so it cost this much. Which is sort of true. But not like you were going to send those workers home, if they had nothing to do. It deferred work on other stuff is what it did. Over time, is another story. But some big business OT is just normal, it almost becomes part of the schedule.

Other sad thing about some business and government, is the use it or lose it accounting. Myself, I am going to realize I need a new roof next year, so I shouldn't spend all my money this year.