Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Trump Prepares To Sign Executive Order Banning Bumpstocks >

Trump Prepares To Sign Executive Order Banning Bumpstocks

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Trump Prepares To Sign Executive Order Banning Bumpstocks

Old 12-03-2018, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

While I am not a fan of any gun control other than my ability to aim and fire, I can see where this isn't really any type of gun control. This is a modification control. You cannot legally turn your AR or SKS into a full auto through modifying the fire control system under NFA laws. While it takes some practice to do it, one can use these bump stocks to achieve pretty close to full auto aimed fire. So take away this modification through NFA and it really wouldn't take the Pres to do it. And again, for those that are extremely misinformed and under-educated, fully automatic firearms are not illegal. They are strictly regulated. You must possess a Federal tax stamp (for each firearm) and the weapon had to have been made prior to 1986 but it is perfectly legal for un-prohibited citizens to own full auto firearms. Pretty much the exact same process for obtaining suppressors. All that being said, I think the GCA and NFA are both 100% against the 2nd amendment even though I do agree with a few parts of both such as violent felons being banned from gun ownership. But the full auto restrictions are completely against the structure of the 2nd as it relates to the protection and security of our country. If our military can carry it, our citizens have a right to own it as well. The 2nd was not only designed to help us defend ourselves against foreign invasion but also against our own government gone wild which it already has in my opinion. Our forefathers left their countries for far less reasons than what our own government subjects us too today.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by falcon View Post
The banning of bump stocks is a slimy slope. Soon they will ban your favorite duck gun.
The method they use always involves something that has a smaller usage so many just don't care. Probably one tenth of one percent of gun owners even bough a bump stock. Not all hunters are duck hunters so many won't care. Small steps and before you know it all the small usage products are gone and then they go after bigger fish with much more momentum..
Old 12-03-2018, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunters Life
A very reasonable post.
However "If our military can carry it, our citizens have a right to own it as well".
There has always been a reasonable argument to be made weighing a persons personal rights verses the needs of the society as a whole.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mr-pirk View Post
Hunters Life
A very reasonable post.
However "If our military can carry it, our citizens have a right to own it as well".
There has always been a reasonable argument to be made weighing a persons personal rights verses the needs of the society as a whole.
Not going as far as HL in the military aspect... Don't believe that I need a Browning M1 50cal... That said, I do believe that if our LEO's are allowed to have AR 15's, We as citizens should be allowed to have them as well... I don't on a daily basis face the potential dangers that our LEO's do, but in the long run do potentially face the same criminals they do... The nearest LEO agency to my home is 18 miles away... If bad things start to happen, I'm pretty sure that I don't have the time to wait for any LEO's to come and investigate the aftermath...

This ban is a ban on an accessory, not a ban on any type of gun... Low hanging fruit? I'm thinking not... This is an accessory that was passed on by BHO's ATF (Imagine that???) in 2010 that is basically being rescinded by Trump(Thinking that he just can't help himself... Any chance to rescind anything that BHO did Trump is going to do it)... Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing any future "gun grabbing" actions coming from the current Presidential Administration...

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 12-03-2018 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Poor Grammer
Old 12-04-2018, 04:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes the ban is on an accessory but the anti gun people have learned the best way to accomplish their mission is to take small measured steps especially after a gun related news release. Here in Vermont the bump stocks along with a ban on high cap mags, an age restriction for gun purchases to 21 and background checks for all gun purchases came about as law sponsored by our super liberal legislature and signed into law as a surprise by our RINO governor. All this came about because LEO found out about a troubled teen's plans on shooting up a school and the resulting laws came about due to that. Interestingly enough all felony charges were dropped and the kid was set free with a misdemeanor slap on the wrist. I understand our legislature was doing back flips at their victory claiming the next session will get them further towards gun control here in one of the safest states in the nation and one that used to have the most lenient gun laws.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

It is quite telling that the most violent and criminally active states are the ones with the strictest current firearm restrictions isn't it.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think us pro gun folks do more to enhance the slippery slope effect by defending something like bump stocks.

Its not a slippery slope if we don't hand the anti gunners a victory in the form of denying the obvious that a bump stock is a loop hole violating the spirit of the current law...of course it is.

I also agree with HL that in the spirit of the constitution we should be able to own anything the military has which I'm also not sure is a good idea but none the less I do believe that is what the constitution says.

I'd sooner fight for the right to own a fully automatic than a loop hole device designed to circumvent the law.

One also has to remember the more extreme you get the closer you get to an actual constitutional amendment.

A slippery slope can and often does exist on both sides of a hill.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I have heard a rubber band can achieve the same rapid fire out of an AR type long gun. At least to me any loss of gun related equipment is something that will probably be gone forever. The problem comes up with who is deciding what we can and can't have. GOP in power and for the most part whatever we are allowed to own now stays. When liberals come into play then they seem to systematically strip us of small parts to what we now are allowed to own. Small parts add up to a whole after time.
Originally Posted by hunters_life View Post
It is quite telling that the most violent and criminally active states are the ones with the strictest current firearm restrictions isn't it.
Yes it is. It has been a pleasure to live in Vermont where we have constitutional rights to hunt on land not specifically posted and any lawful gun ownership allows us to carry either concealed or open as we see fit baring a few isolated places like courthouse or schools. Safe place to live and work and knowing many people carry must act as a deterrent for criminals.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-04-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd still say that it's a slippery slope towards more gun control. Whether it's actual guns or accessories, when liberal lawyers and judges get into writing vague laws bad things start to happen! Past gun laws and new gun law proposals shows us that really "simple" terms like collapsible stocks, pistol grips, flash suppressors, high-cap mags and armor-piercing, just to name a few, can easily be liberally interpreted to include most hunting and target guns!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

I watched a commentator on CNN the other day saying a four star General walking around a war zone with an M-4 rifle sent the wrong message. I really don't know whether to bust out laughing or just shake my head in disgust.[/QUOTE]

Might as well do both. They will chip away until all conservative thinking is gone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.