Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
GM Closing 5 Plants and Laying Off employees >

GM Closing 5 Plants and Laying Off employees

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

GM Closing 5 Plants and Laying Off employees

Old 11-27-2018, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default GM Closing 5 Plants and Laying Off employees

https://www.apnews.com/3e51216360e14053ae3e4b3461db615b
Old 11-27-2018, 05:37 AM
Spike

Hey Mouse ! Have you priced a new car or truck lately ? No wonder they are re tooling Just priced out a new Ram truck and a Chevy ! I WILL NOT PAY $60,000 FOR A TRUCK ! I bought my first 3 homes for less and they all increased in value not like a truck value dropping like a rock when you drive it off the lot
Old 11-27-2018, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

I'm 4 miles from the lordstown plant. Worked there for a few years when I was younger .

This will have a big impact on the area.

-Jake
Old 11-27-2018, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

yeah the list price of $45K-70K Ive been quoted, for a decent new truck is ABSURD
as you said my first home sold for way less
Old 11-27-2018, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I know, I stop buying new years ago. There are several factors impacting this move some are a direct cause of the current administration and a lot have to do with the previous administration. You also can't discount the technology advances in society. My kids don't care drive places. They can be there in virtual reality through their smart phones. I grew up in the sticks and a car was freedom. I've put about 60k this year alone in driving.

Btw, who knew "smart phones" as one word is a bad word to post?
Old 11-27-2018, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

combination of people keeping cars longer and the cars built in those plants not selling.

Free market correcting itself.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

...and to think, I had a 2000 Chevy Silverado and drove it for 209,580 miles until it died (Well, not really... The whole fuel pump system blew out). I refused to pay the $$$$ mostly in labor to get it fixed. The %*#& repair estimate was the same as the Kelly Blue Book value!! I just about wanted to break down and cry, you know? My beloved pickup... Gone... But, I donated it to the American Cancer Society and got a tax write-off that year.

I will NEVER buy a new vehicle! My personal favorite would be a classic 1966 Chevy pickup with an inline 6 cylinder, 3 speed on the column, and everything pretty much manual. You could easily work on anything and everything on it!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
I know, I stop buying new years ago. There are several factors impacting this move some are a direct cause of the current administration and a lot have to do with the previous administration. You also can't discount the technology advances in society. My kids don't care drive places. They can be there in virtual reality through their smart phones. I grew up in the sticks and a car was freedom. I've put about 60k this year alone in driving.

Btw, who knew "smart phones" as one word is a bad word to post?
I'm curious about these parts. I'm assuming you're referring to Trump's tariffs on the first part but am waiting to see your analysis of Obama's part.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Really, you allow your kids to live in virtual reality rather than reality mouse, that sounds like abuse to me!
Old 11-27-2018, 01:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
I'm curious about these parts. I'm assuming you're referring to Trump's tariffs on the first part but am waiting to see your analysis of Obama's part.
yes, Trump's tariffs and NAFTA 2.0 are adding thousands of dollars to already expensive cars. Obama's kangaroo court GM bankruptcy left an over bloated GM corporation which was operating under puppet strings at the will of the federal government. His continued push for higher cafe standards and the double subsidizing of GM cars. Remember the deduction for buying the volt a car no one wanted especially at the cost to build? Then mandating the federal government buying them in order to go green? The sad thing is Trump is falling into the same trap. Threatening GM if they follow through the reorganization.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service