Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
More on shutting down the government >

More on shutting down the government

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

More on shutting down the government

Old 11-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default More on shutting down the government

Go to... Home Freedom News Gun News Health News Contact Us About Disclaimer

Trump Threatens Again to Shut Down Government for Border Wall

Posted by: admin in Politics November 19, 2018 21 Comments 551 Views

7 4 0 Reddit1 7 19

President Donald Trump has threatened several times to force the government into a shutdown if he does not get the funding he needs to build the Wall, but so far, lawmakers have convinced him to stay his veto pen and keep the wheels of spending greased and rolling. Whether that will hold true yet again remains to be seen, but the president once again mused on the possibility of a partial shutdown on Saturday.

“Probably if I was ever going to do a shutdown on border security, when you look at the caravans, when you look at the mess, when you look at the people coming in, this would be a very good time to do a shutdown,” Trump told reporters. “I don’t think it’s going to be necessary because I think the Democrats will come to their senses.”

Trump wants Congress to come up with $5 billion for the wall and additional border security funding.

Most of the federal government is already funded through the end of the year, but the budget for the Department of Homeland Security will expire on December 7. This is what Democrats and Republicans must come to an agreement on in the coming weeks if we’re to avoid a partial shutdown. Republican leaders on Capitol Hill are once again urging President Trump to avoid such an event, even though they promised the wall would come up for debate after the midterms were over.

“We had a good discussion about funding the government and the other year-end items, and we’re optimistic we’re going to be able to get that done,” said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell after meeting with the president at the White House this week.

In remarks to reporters on Wednesday, Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said that lawmakers would prefer to stick with the immigration legislation already in place.

“The Democrats and Republicans came to the $1.6 billion agreement,” he said. “It is tough security. It is sensors. It is drones. It is roads. It is help at the border in a far more effective way than the wall. We believe Democrats and Republicans should stick with their agreement and not let President Trump interfere. Every time he interferes, it gets bolloxed up.”

Well, the problem with that is: The American people didn’t vote Trump into the White House on promises of sensors and drones. We wanted a wall and we damn well deserve to see what we voted for come to fruition. Your sensors and drones are not going to do anything about the immigration crisis we currently have at the border. Your roads are not going to help stop these caravans and drug cartels. We need serious solutions, and it’s clear that Democrats are not going to come up with them.

Nor are Republicans willing to fight for them.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shut it down. Less time for the politicians to continue to screw around with our lives.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, they can't hurt us when they are closed.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

So here's how this works. Obama threatens a veto on a budget and the Republicans get blamed for shutting down the government.
Trump threatens a veto, and the Republicans get blamed shutting down the government.
The Republicans get blamed either way.

My solution to the whole government shutdown fear is to just finally do it.

C. Davis
Old 11-21-2018, 03:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Wouldn't that be nice C? You just got to hope this isn't another empty threat because come January, Trump will give away the kitchen sink to get a bill passed.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
Wouldn't that be nice C? You just got to hope this isn't another empty threat because come January, Trump will give away the kitchen sink to get a bill passed.
As far as this goes, I'm afraid it has been a wasted two years. Trump's job during this time was to communicate to the Republicans that his veto thread was more than just a threat. It obviously was not.
The government shut down to end all government shutdowns should have happened when the final funding of Obama Care was being considered. You and I both know who led the filibuster on that one.

C. Davis
Old 11-22-2018, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shut 'er down! As OT said "they can't hurt us when they are closed! They aren't legislating anyway, they are investigating Trump at every opportunity!
Old 11-22-2018, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

President Trump's threat to shut down the federal government, unless he gets the wampum for the border wall is blackmail --- pure and simple.
It's also troubling that Trump is pushing a decree...that would give the Army troops permission to use lethal force on refugees at the Mexican/U.S. border; which is coming dangerously close to violating the Posse Comitatus Act.

Last edited by Erno86; 11-22-2018 at 08:11 AM. Reason: added a few words
Old 11-22-2018, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

An invader is an invader! They have no business invading our country. No different than someone forcing themselves into your home. At my home they would leave in a body bag!
Old 11-22-2018, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Based on OT's post I think a certain someone needs a history lesson. Luckily we happen to have a HS teacher (me) on the forum that knows history. So let's take a trip back to 2006 shall we?

H.R.6061 — 109th Congress (2005-2006)

Public Law No: 109-367 (10/26/2006)

Secure Fence Act of 2006 - Directs the Secretary of Homeland Security, within 18 months of enactment of this Act, to take appropriate actions to achieve operational control over U.S. international land and maritime borders, including: (1) systematic border surveillance through more effective use of personnel and technology, such as unmanned aerial vehicles, ground-based sensors, satellites, radar coverage, and cameras; and (2) physical infrastructure enhancements to prevent unlawful border entry and facilitate border access by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, such as additional checkpoints, all weather access roads, and vehicle barriers.

Results of the vote in the House of Representatives was:

Bill was sent to the senate and was approved without any alterations on 20 Sept 2006. Senators who approved the bill included:

Obama (D-IL), Yea
Biden (D-DE), Yea
Clinton (D-NY), Yea
Schumer (D-NY), Yea
Durbin (D-IL), Yea
Leahy (D-VT), Yea
Reid (D-NV), Yea
So many of the DEMs now standing in the way of a secure border which includes "barriers" voted in favor of exactly that same thing. Perhaps our current "resident LIB' can explain it? Inquiring minds wish to know.

Add in a Mic Drop for effect!

Last edited by flags; 11-22-2018 at 09:22 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.