HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Politics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/politics-16/)
-   -   For those who think Global warming is hype! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/politics/419654-those-who-think-global-warming-hype.html)

Erno86 11-24-2018 07:05 AM

I wasn't surprised, but very disappointed...when President Trump recently spread the classic hype of poo-pooing human caused global warming --- (tweeting, "Whatever happened to Global Warming?") --- for the first cold snap in the North Eastern United States this fall.
:action-smiley-099:

"With the latest U.S. climate study grimly warning in direct language, the 1,656-page assessment laying out the devastating effects of a changing climate on the economy, including record wildfires in California, crop failures in the Midwest and crumbling infrastructure in the South. Going forward, American exports and supply chains could fall to 1980's levels by mid-century and fire season could spread to the Southeast, the report finds.

All told, the report says, climate change could slash up to a tenth of gross domestic product by 2100, more than double the losses of the Great Recession a decade ago."

MudderChuck 11-24-2018 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Erno86 (Post 4347336)
I wasn't surprised, but very disappointed...when President Trump recently spread the classic hype of poo-pooing human caused global warming --- (tweeting, "Whatever happened to Global Warming?") --- for the first cold snap in the North Eastern United States this fall.
:action-smiley-099:

"With the latest U.S. climate study grimly warning in direct language, the 1,656-page assessment laying out the devastating effects of a changing climate on the economy, including record wildfires in California, crop failures in the Midwest and crumbling infrastructure in the South. Going forward, American exports and supply chains could fall to 1980's levels by mid-century and fire season could spread to the Southeast, the report finds.

All told, the report says, climate change could slash up to a tenth of gross domestic product by 2100, more than double the losses of the Great Recession a decade ago."

I have no issue with the concept of global warming, I've lived long enough I've experienced it happening. The river near by used to freeze completely over multiple times a year. Now it freezes partially maybe twice in ten years. My Apple trees bloom a month to six weeks earlier than they did decades ago. The leaves fall off of my Walnut tree later than they did decades ago. These events have some variance year to year but the trend is definitely up, at least in my lifetime.
The part I have issues with is mans influence on the whole process. Face it the earth has been warming since the last Ice Age. If man does have some influence on the warming trend, why do the powers that be seem to want to ignore many of the man made influences on global weather that IMO may have more impact than the emissions of my lawnmower.
They have been clearing vast areas of tropical rain forests for agriculture and I do mean vast. Slash and burn agriculture is not a small issue. Search NASA for crop burns or similar searches. What happens every year for slash and burn agriculture makes the Paradise fire look small. At certain times of the year the south of Russia and India Žlooks like one big fire from space.
Next point, the microorganisms in the Ocean are pretty much our sole source of free oxygen in the atmosphere. Separating the carbon and the oxygen from CO2 then turning the carbon into carbonates that sink to the ocean floor releases bonded Oxygen. Why isn't the system regulating? It has always been a self regulating cycle, what is upsetting the cycle and is there anything man is doing that is upsetting it? I'm sure there are variables I'm not addressing, like ocean temperature, but producing man made CO2 should be self regulating. Algae blooms deplete oxygen and seem to be on the rise. they say from agricultural runoff. Point is mankind does have an impact on the atmosphere, but in reality hammering on CO2 and industry seems like worrying about a flaming trash can in a house fire.

Some of the most ardent climate change radicals I know (all democrats) are heavily invested in renewable energy stocks. CO2 may be a factor, but IMO a factor not the factor.

The governmental boondoggles and poorly thought out policy and legislation aren't really helping any. In the fifty years I've watched, many power plants were forced to changeover from Coal to heating oil, to natural gas. back to Coal, then back to natural gas ad naseam. Somebody got really rich buying stock in out of favor energy sources and then cashing in when the flavor of day changed. Almost like the market is being manipulated using the public sentiment of the moment to drive the market, almost like a plan to get rich.:) They always have a list of good reasons to change, but you really have to wonder if the tail isn't wagging the dog.

Another boondoggle here was diesel motors for passenger cars, there was a big governmental push for everybody to run out and buy Diesel cars. They even gave tax breaks and discounts. They said Diesel is more efficient and will lower overall fuel usage, produce less CO2 and burned cleaner than gas motors (this is where I really smelled a rat). The first big thing after everybody bought Diesels was soot pollution and everybody had to retrofit with soot filters. The next big thing was that Diesels produced less CO2 but produced too much NOX. Now everybody is required to retrofit to control NOX. Politicians are driving the agenda and/or the engineers are fools.

Thankfully for the government most of the citizenry has a short memory, As many times as I'v been indirectly played and manipulated by government you really can't blame anyone for being a global warming skeptic.

MudderChuck 11-24-2018 11:01 AM

In the last couple of years I've spent $15,000 on a new heating system that is CO2 compliant. The old one was working just fine and had been for decades, but it wasn't CO2 compliant. I'm working on the second retrofit for my car to make it pollution and exhaust compliant, my cost around $1500. Just had to toss my wood burning stove (cast iron built to last for generations) for a newer pollution and CO2 compliant model, my cost $1000 (retail $1700).

So $17,500 I spent is going to stop global warming? I remain skeptical. Especially when you figure in the energy use of manufacturing, fuel used for delivery and the people to install this stuff.

I honestly think re regulating emissions is being used as a tool to drive industry, reinvent the wheel every few years to keep industry humming. Soooo, save the planet by lowering CO2 emissions by forcing people to buy new gizmos that increase manufacturing output.:hit:

Erno86 11-24-2018 11:04 AM

A lot of guys just throw-up there hands and say that their is no way to stop global warming --- "So why fight it?"

I believe humanity can slow down global warming...but the overall cure --- imho --- is an economy based on fusion power technology. It's feasible...but we have not figured out the ways and means for fusion power technology at the present time --- So we must think and put into practice other feasible technologies that will help climb us out of this mess --- before we have past the "point of no return." --- If we've not passed it already.

MudderChuck 11-24-2018 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Erno86 (Post 4347361)
A lot of guys just throw-up there hands and say that their is no way to stop global warming --- "So why fight it?"

I believe humanity can slow down global warming...but the overall cure --- imho --- is an economy based on fusion power technology. It's feasible...but we have not figured out the ways and means for fusion power technology at the present time --- So we must think and put into practice other feasible technologies that will help climb us out of this mess --- before we have past the "point of no return." --- If we've not passed it already.

I say good luck with that. After Fukushima, here the Green party and the earth firsters screamed until the government promised to phase out nuclear power. They shut down many nuclear plants and put most of the rest on shutdown deadlines. They completely ignored the fact that France is something like 90% reliant on nuclear power and upwind from here.:hit:
Then they built thousands of wind turbines in the north sea. And then figured out they don't have the power grid in the right places to handle the extra input. The Greens and the others campaigned against cutting down trees to improve the power grid. So then they decided to bury the cables, now for some reason there are protesters against burying the lines. In the mean time they need more coal for power, so they opened up large swaths of forest to cutting to put in new strip mines. The CO2 crowd, Greens and Earth Firsters are protesting this. I guess when the lights go out they will protest no lights.

It has been my experience well before any sort of comprehensive plan can be implemented the politicians pander to some new group or the other and the old plans are never finished. Knee jerk politics.

Germans used to be famous for planning, management and engineering, those days are long gone. A combination of short sighted political will, poor planning, poor implementation, constantly changing regulations and all around incompetence turns most of these initiatives into the gong show.

When idealism meets reality, reality will win every time.

Oldtimr 11-24-2018 12:32 PM

Hey Erno, what cause global warming the times it was here on earth and there were no people or power plants or vehicles that burned fossil fuel? It happened before and it will happen again when the cycle of heating and cooling happens. Another symptom of liberalism is thinking they can cure everything of they just can get people to buy the blame game. It would be nice when the next cooling cycle happens that the leftists had gotten rid of their winter clothing because they believed the hype no one will give or sell them any, and they all freeze as hard as ice!

C. Davis 11-24-2018 01:41 PM

I just wish they would come right out and tell me how much they need to raise my taxes, say what I can drive, tell me how to live, and tell me how not to live so I can control nature.
All I get right now is that if I vote for a Democrat, I can save the world.

C. Davis

Oldtimr 11-24-2018 01:53 PM

I am sure you know if you voted for a demorat, you would be sorely disappointed. In fsct if they ever get the majority in both the house and Senate and have the President, we can kiss or con try goodbye as we know it. and I think it would result in a civil war. If so the left would be in for a proper azz kicking!

CalHunter 11-24-2018 05:26 PM

They do tend to change their minds a lot and act like they never changed. First Al Bore was saying global freezing. Then it was global warming. He still owns a huge mansion with numerous pollution complaints and flies everywhere on a big private jet. Definitely not big on integrity.

C. Davis 11-24-2018 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4347388)
They do tend to change their minds a lot and act like they never changed. First Al Bore was saying global freezing. Then it was global warming. He still owns a huge mansion with numerous pollution complaints and flies everywhere on a big private jet. Definitely not big on integrity.

Algore couldn't get away with that if progressives weren't dumber than dirt.

C. Davis