Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Flags! Anyone! Help Me, Security Clearances >

Flags! Anyone! Help Me, Security Clearances

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Flags! Anyone! Help Me, Security Clearances

Old 08-21-2018, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

On security clearances, I've heard the same. Not a right but if the government thinks it will continue to be useful, you keep it for various time periods. Bottom line, the government gets to make that decision with no recourse.

On Alsatian's narrative or theory, I think he's on to something. If you look at things objectively, when have so many bosses made such a stink about a President or somebody else higher ranking like that? Never. And when has the intelligence community ever consorted like this with the media? Never. Something is up. If those clowns actually had proof on Trump, it would have been splashed all across the media by now because none of these guys can seem to keep their mouths shut. They've been plotting and digging for almost 2 years now (it started when Trump won) and they haven't produced any evidence, just lies and BS. At this point, one could logically conclude that if they had something solid, we would have heard about it, over and over. Since that hasn't occurred, the only other logical explanation is all of these clowns are dirty and afraid of being exposed by Trump. This whole thing sounds like one of those mystery suspense thrillers they make a movie about. But look at what's happened down the Clintons' back trail. Sloppy, clumsy, crooked and they just don't quit or give up. A lot of these clowns are hyper partisan and that is their downfall since nobody thinks objectively when they're using their emotions. If you doubt this, just ask Struyk.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Clearances, as flags say, especially at this level, include a "need to know". I've had a TS/SCI clearance, but just because of that, I was NOT able to see other SCI projects because I had zero need to know it, it's not a free for all! Clearances additionally require a re-validation, they do a bit more than check the database, at least in my case, it's a smaller background check and it includes interviews. It's time consuming and expensive.

As for the money cow, I've heard that but dont' follow, it's not like they can go on CNN and discuss anything. It's classified and a federal crime to divulge it. And BTW, that goes for after the clearance period is over. You are bound by the secrecy until you die, or the information is declassified, which often times is....never.

This is really a non-issue. Trump wasn't going to call him in for advice, and he no longer had a need to know. My guess is these people holding the clearance is just how it's been done, and Trump is now cleaning up things that aren't needed.

when I left the job I had TS/SCI for, same company, just moved to a different group. I was "read out" of my projects, reminded of my obligations. About a year later they asked if I was interested in coming back, when I brought up the clearance it was along the lines of "as long as your clearance validation period isn't over, it's just like flipping a switch" which really means that it was still there, just sort of dormant due to the need to know part.

Probably the same with this. You don't actually revoke a clearance without a reason, my guess is he is actually just "read out" and they can turn it back on should they need to
Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to work as a software engineer for a defence contractor. I had a top secret clearance. It took a lot of time for the clearance to come through. I have heard it is quite expensive to obtain such clearances. I cannot speak with knowledge on this, but I got the impression that even when you left an employer the clearance might remain active -- in some sense -- for sometime afterwards. I got the impression that if you were applying for a job with a defence contractor and you had recently had a clearance, that was a big attraction for the defence contractor. To me that either means (1) the clearance remains in effect or (2) if little time has elapsed, maybe it is a simple/cheap matter to have your clearance restored? These days there are a large number of civilians involved in defence contract work, and many of these need clearances. We aren't talking about former generals and directors of national LEO/SPY agencies -- we're talking about BSEE programmers and BSME mechanical engineers working for Raytheon and other companies engaged in defence work.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Over a dozen posts and I've seen nothing that would indicate that whiner Brennan is right.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys! All good answers that make logical sense to me now. Not being familiar with clearances, I just figured that when you are fired, you'd lose all privileges and benefits that went with the job.