Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

If Only

Old 06-27-2018, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default If Only

Old 06-28-2018, 02:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I could support her for the SCOTUS. She certainly is conservative.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

Out of the short list, who do you guys prefer? I have a feeling Trump won't pick a hardcore conservative. If he did, I could see the Susan Collins from Maine voting no. However, I believe some Dem senators will vote yes, potentially and that will offset the one possible republican senator going against Trump.

Kennedy Replacement
Old 06-28-2018, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I suspect there will be a lot of wheeling and dealing by the republicans in the Senate. If they get together, the dumbocrats can't stop the selection, which will drive them absolutely nuts and we will probably see another special prosecutor to investigate the nominee.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by chazspot View Post
Out of the short list, who do you guys prefer? I have a feeling Trump won't pick a hardcore conservative. If he did, I could see the Susan Collins from Maine voting no. However, I believe some Dem senators will vote yes, potentially and that will offset the one possible republican senator going against Trump.

Kennedy Replacement
I agree. Democrats Joe Manchin, Heidi Heitkamp, and Joe Donnelly will be on a super hot seat. They're up for re-election in deep red states. However, these three might help delay the vote until the mid-terms are over for some cover. I don't expect Democrats to take control of the Senate, so at best it's a delaying tactic in my opinion.

If President Trump picks Amy Barrett, it will at least look better when Roe vs Wade is wiped out by the Supreme Court.

I'm pro-choice and will continue to do what I can to fight to retain a woman's right to choose. But, as they say, the writing is certainly on the wall.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
I agree. Democrats Joe Manchin, Heidi Heitkamp, and Joe Donnelly will be on a super hot seat. They're up for re-election in deep red states. However, these three might help delay the vote until the mid-terms are over for some cover. I don't expect Democrats to take control of the Senate, so at best it's a delaying tactic in my opinion.

If President Trump picks Amy Barrett, it will at least look better when Roe vs Wade is wiped out by the Supreme Court.

I'm pro-choice and will continue to do what I can to fight to retain a woman's right to choose. But, as they say, the writing is certainly on the wall.
One way to look at it is that perhaps Roe v Wade won't be thrown out in full. In fact, it is unlikely. Remember how these things work is that an actual case is filed, it is handled in a first federal court, then it is appealed to an appeals court, then it is appealed to the US Supreme Court. The court doesn't retroactively strike down a previously decided case. It seems much more likely to me that instead what would happen is that abortion laws which restrict but do not abolish access to abortion will be approved by the supreme court. For example, perhaps a law prohibiting late term abortions is passed and challenged and is upheld by the US Supreme Court.

Also, I don't know if this makes practical sense, but maybe if you don't want the US Supreme Court to revisit Roe v Wade or establish precedents that weaken the jurisprudence surrounding Roe v Wade, you don't challenge an abortion law that you find onerous. If there is no court case challenging the law, then there can be no new anti-abortion precedent created. Bide your time until the court balance shifts left before challenging the law. Again, I don't know if that makes practical sense, but at least it is a theoretical strategy.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by chazspot View Post
Out of the short list, who do you guys prefer? . . . . . . . . . . . .
Kennedy Replacement
I don't know enough to have a preference. But I hope he picks one of the youngest ones.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 6Creedmoor View Post
Donald Trump is under criminal investigation by the FBI for conspiring with a foreign enemy to rig the election in his favor. Of course he doesnít get to replace Anthony Kennedy on the supreme court! No way in hell is that happening!
What rock have you been sleeping under?!!! Almost a year and a half, and with a "stacked deck," they have not found one speck of evidence against Donald Trump! Everything they uncover points to TREASON by the kintoons, obozo, the FBI and the DOJ!

As to who will be the new Supreme Court Justice, I don't have a pick. As long as he or she is a Constitutional Conservative, we will be fine! The younger and possibly female and/or minority, Constitutional Conservative, the better!