Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
New Low for Liberal Political Correctness! >

New Low for Liberal Political Correctness!

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

New Low for Liberal Political Correctness!

Old 03-16-2018, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default New Low for Liberal Political Correctness!

The liberal politicians and educators have stooped to a new low in their quest for political correctness and silencing free speech!
First of all, these leftist politico's and educators have had no shame in stirring teenagers into doing their bidding in the fight over the Second Amendment!
To top off the low's of the PC crowd, yesterday, a Senior at Hilliard Davidson High School, in Ohio was suspended for not taking part in the National Walk-Out Day!
Long story short, the teen wanted to make a statement by his actions that he wanted to be "neutral!" He felt that by going out and participating in the walkout, he would be supporting the anti-gun agenda! He was given the option of going to a study hall room with other non-supporters. To him going to study hall would be a sign of disrespect for the 17 that died in Florida. He stayed behind in his classroom doing homework during the walkout, and was promptly suspended after the walkout!
The screwell principal used the excuse that "for their own protection, students are not allowed to be unsupervised at any time!"

I'm betting that the ACLU will not be coming to the aid of this young man protecting his right to free speech!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/16...lkout-day.html
Old 03-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

It's good that this crap is happening. Students and younger people need to find out that the left does not support free speech, just blind obedience.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am afraid it may already be too late for a lot of young people to see the light, the left has blind folded them pretty well.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

While I understand your concern, I have to respectfully disagree. There are some people (including younger people) who are just born followers, don't like to think a lot about things and prefer feeling emotionally satisfied with just about any weighty subject. Those kinds of people tend to blindly accept party marching orders, hesitate until they're told what to think and then go with the herd. You may recognize a lot of them in the Dem party. Not all Dems, just a lot of them.

Then there are many younger people who prefer to think through things and find a logical or reasonable answer to any given question or issue. Those people tend to become Libertarians and Republicans and are mostly conservative, regardless of party registration.

What I find fascinating (and sachiko is likely in a unique position to comment further on this) is that sometimes irritating, sometimes reassuring, sometimes maddening teenage penchant for thinking they already know everything, not trusting older people and wanting to find stuff out for themselves, even if they pay a price for not listening to or heeding wise advice from older people. That teenage characteristic is alive and well in today's youth and is extremely dangerous to the Dem party.

Youth who think for themselves, analyze stuff and use logic or common sense can often spot BS very quickly and tend to get better at that quickly as they transform from teens to 20-somethings. Especially when those 20-somethings start to add up the math and realize they are being sold a huge political mess which they will have to pay for the rest of their lives.

That's one of my favorite lines when talking to my kids and their friends. I tell them yes, I have an opinion and don't want to waste my money, etc. but they are the ones on the hook for paying for all of this bad legislation enacted by bad pols for, oh, say the next 60 years or so. That really seems to get them thinking. A lot.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:30 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Okay Cal, I'll take the bait.

I'm responsible for two different kinds of students. One group consists of the large intro lectures and the other is my small clutch of graduate students. Students seem to find it easy to talk with me, maybe because I'm so little, I don't seem threatening.

They seem to know clearly what is "wrong" with this world. And some of those "wrongs" which have been drummed into them are nonsense. But experience and study can help teach them that.

What they seem to be seeking are rules, how to live, what is right and what is wrong. What are the things you should do and the things you should not do which will affect your personal life and the lives of the people with whom you are close.

I try to explain, using examples, that we, as a species, are the product of thousands and thousands of generations of both biological and social evolution. Rules were developed. These rules were not written in the sky by the creator. They have been handed down by our ancestors, but they were developed over these thousands of generations of observation of effects by those same ancestors.

I suggest to them that they study and consider the effects on our species of biological and social evolution. I suggest that they study history of, not just our culture, but others as well. I suggest that they compare the standards that are being applied in our current society and ask if they seem compatible with the time proven standards which we have received from our elders. When they do this, they seem to find our current standards lacking with little coaching from me.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's a fine line with this one. The student wasn't suspended for not walking out, he was suspended for not going to study when directed to, so that he wouldn't be unsupervised. Fine line, and possibly a cop out, but the school is responsible for safety of the students while there, that's why kids have to be certain places.

This kid was told to go to study hall, he didn't.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

That all would be irrelevant if the school had not abdicated its responsibility and not acquiesced to children and allowed them to walk out of school.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sachiko View Post
Okay Cal, I'll take the bait.

I'm responsible for two different kinds of students. One group consists of the large intro lectures and the other is my small clutch of graduate students. Students seem to find it easy to talk with me, maybe because I'm so little, I don't seem threatening.

They seem to know clearly what is "wrong" with this world. And some of those "wrongs" which have been drummed into them are nonsense. But experience and study can help teach them that.

What they seem to be seeking are rules, how to live, what is right and what is wrong. What are the things you should do and the things you should not do which will affect your personal life and the lives of the people with whom you are close.

I try to explain, using examples, that we, as a species, are the product of thousands and thousands of generations of both biological and social evolution. Rules were developed. These rules were not written in the sky by the creator. They have been handed down by our ancestors, but they were developed over these thousands of generations of observation of effects by those same ancestors.

I suggest to them that they study and consider the effects on our species of biological and social evolution. I suggest that they study history of, not just our culture, but others as well. I suggest that they compare the standards that are being applied in our current society and ask if they seem compatible with the time proven standards which we have received from our elders. When they do this, they seem to find our current standards lacking with little coaching from me.

If you are doing that, you are doing great work. And I'm not expressing disbelief but rather approval for that. It is definitely needed.

I am 61 years old and have three adult children (son 28 years old, first daughter 26 years old, second daughter 21 years old). I have been thinking about these matters a lot lately -- standards, how one ought to act, values -- because I am very concerned about the world my future grandchildren will grow up in. I don't think I had it figured out when my wife and I were raising our children, but thankfully they have turned out pretty well. I am not confident that can be expected in the future -- as communities and schools and universities continue drifting from those standards and values.

I sort of know what I think, but have felt "naked" and unsupported advocating my own ideas. I have been rereading old books and finding things that I have pieced together to back-fill authority for my own ideas, sometimes adapting my ideas based on these readings. I haven't substantively changed my mind, I have clarified my thinking.

Here is just one example. It is a good example of how I have proceeded. I read Jose Ortega y Gasset's great book "Meditations on Hunting." Gasset was a Spanish philosopher who was in his prime about 1925-1935. He also wrote a series of interesting essays released in book form as "Revolt of the Masses." Both those books are well worth finding and reading. In "Meditations" Gasset says hunting is good because it encourages the individual building his or her "courage, endurance, and skill, which are everywhere the attributes of the genuinely powerful person." Hmmm. Interesting statement. Would the modern progressives accord value to this set of character attributes? Probably not. I added that to my growing recipe of rearing my future grandchildren. I liked it because (1) it was voiced before our modern era of liberal-progressive-leftist onslaught in academia. I further like it because it rings true and I see precedents for this notion in many other sources.

Other books that I have found helpful are Plutarch's "Parallel lives of Noble Grecians and Romans," Plato's "Critias," "Gorgias," "Protagoras," "Republic," and "Laws." I also include Rousseau's first discourse "Discourse on the Arts and Sciences." I also include some of La Rochefoucauld's maxims.

Anyway, the points one can glean from these older books (Rousseau is the most recent, publishing before the American revolution, La Rochefoucauld from ~1650 AD, Plutarch from ~120 AD, Plato from ~385 BC) are consistent with each other. They don't depend on a specific religious conviction. They seem to me to tap into timeless values and principles. Most importantly, it almost seems that our schools and public institutions are running away from this set of standards and values.

The point from Gasset above is just a random but not insignificant point. Encourage your children to develop courage, to develop endurance (ability to tolerate heat, cold, hunger, thirst without whining), to develop skills (tying knots, ability to build a campfire, ability to change a tire, to jump start a car, to write, to avoid logical fallacies, etc). I would argue that these are not on the radar screen of the liberals and progressives and might well feel threatened by a systematic effort to inculcate these attributes in young people. What if the term "endurance" is construed to mean physical strength? How would liberal/progressive/leftists feel about that? Would they see a young man going to the gym to develop his bodily strength deadlifting 150% of his body weight and barbell squatting his body weight "toxic masculinity" and discourage it?

The "Crito" of Plato has Socrates towards the end of the dialog stating that "goodness and integrity, laws and institutions are the most precious possessions of mankind." Hmmm. Doesn't everyone -- including liberals/progressives/leftists agree with that? I don't think so. If the institution of the constitution gets in the way with liberal do-gooding, the progressives are happy to distort and bend the black letter law of the constitution to make it mean something it clearly doesn't mean. If the Boy Scouts doesn't check the liberal belief boxes, then liberals must wage "lawfare" on the Boy Scouts and coerce them to alter their basic principles. I don't call that placing much value on institutions. What about laws? Sanctuary cities and the freedom from prosecution for violations of law by Hillary Clinton, IRS, FISA court warrants seem to me to be solid examples of disdain for the law.

Last edited by Alsatian; 03-21-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Someone more familiar with the law may be able to answer this question I have. All these kids were allowed to walk out of school? Were they all supervised? If not then do the parents of all these kids not realize they would have a huge law suit against the schools? Unless each and every one of these kids had signed permission to leave the supervision of the school then the school had not only a duty but the legal obligation to supervise these kids during school hours. If these schools allowed this then they should be sued into oblivion.
Sachiko, sadly there are few teachers in these liberal infested schools with your simple and honest logic. My 2 youngest siblings just completed their graduate degrees and I get a real kick out of their stories of these liberal professors trying to infect their minds with the liberal agenda. Especially the youngest of the 2. My little sister has a pretty bad temper and a dang near non existent fuse. Whenever they would try with her, she would show them just exactly how short of a fuse she had.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

It may be high time these students realize there are counties with strict gun control. They should maybe be given the option to go live there and protest to their hearts content. We could give them 3 choices on where to go Russia,China and North korea. I don't think students are even taught in our liberal school system how the communists gte control of their people. The first or second step is to disarm the citizens.
In our news here the school shooting in Maryland got very little media hype. Why because an armed resourse worker end it before anyone but the shooter was killed. No media attention because what President Trump said would work did very well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.