Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
New Bipartisan Gun Control Bill >

New Bipartisan Gun Control Bill

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

New Bipartisan Gun Control Bill

Old 11-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default New Bipartisan Gun Control Bill

NBC NEWS

Bipartisan deal on gun control unveiled
by LEIGH ANN CALDWELL and GARRETT HAAKE

WASHINGTON — A bipartisan group of senators Thursday unveiled legislation to improve background-checks for gun sales, a narrow measure that attempts to address the recent spate of mass shootings.

The bill represents an incremental update to existing law but has the best chance of any effort to pass through Congress in recent years, with the weight of support from senior Senate Republicans behind it and no public opposition from the gun lobby.

The bill, crafted by Sens. John Cornyn, R.-Texas, and Chris Murphy, D-Conn., would attempt to better enforce current law and strengthen the National Instant Criminal Background Check system to ensure all background check information is uploaded.

Senators unveil new bipartisan gun control legislation Play Facebook Twitter Embed
Senators unveil new bipartisan gun control legislation 1:33
According to a description of the bill, first obtained by NBC News, the “Fix NICS Act” offers a handful of solutions to help get all the necessary records uploaded, including asking federal agencies and states to produce plans to upload and verify the criminal and mental health records necessary to bar unfit purchasers from buying a weapon.

Because the federal government can't force states to comply with uploading requirements, it creates incentives like grants for states to do so. It also adds accountability measures like withholding political appointees bonuses for agencies that fail to do so. The bill also directs federal funds to ensure that domestic violence crimes are added to the background-check system.

This is the third attempt to fix the background-check reporting system since 1995. The NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007 provided millions to encourage the states to improve their data sharing. That was preceded by The National Criminal History Improvement Program, the first effort to give the states an incentive to report more records.

“For years agencies and states haven’t complied with the law, failing to upload these critical records without consequence,” Cornyn said in a statement announcing the effort Thursday. “Just one record that’s not properly reported can lead to tragedy, as the country saw last week in Sutherland Springs, Texas. This bill aims to help fix what’s become a nationwide, systemic problem so we can better prevent criminals and domestic abusers from obtaining firearms.”

“This deal will strengthen the background check system and save lives. Our bill marks an important milestone that shows real compromise can be made on the issue of guns," Murphy added.

Image: Sunday service one week after church shooting
Senator John Cornyn, R-TX, and his wife Sandy Cornyn visit a memorial to the victims of the mass shooting at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, on Nov. 12. R. Tomas Gonzalez / EPA
The National Rifle Association, a powerful gun lobby that gives heavily to elected officials, won't oppose it. “The National Rifle Association has long supported the inclusion of all appropriate records in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System," Jennifer Baker, NRA spokeswoman, told NBC News.

And the National Shooting Sports Foundation has also endorsed, clearing the way for the Senate to move ahead.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., and Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., have also signed onto the bill, as have Sens. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, Dean Heller, R-Nev., and Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H.

Cornyn, Murphy, Blumenthal and Heller are represent states with the most deadly mass shootings: the Sutherland Springs church shooting, Sandy Hook, and the concert massacre in Las Vegas.

Both Murphy, who has advocated for gun control legislation since the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2013, and Blumenthal hinted at an agreement earlier Wednesday on Twitter. Meanwhile, Cornyn, the Senate majority whip, told reporters Sunday, "We need to fix this broken background check system."

The last time gun control legislation came close to passing was after Sandy Hook when Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., fell four vote shorts of passing their bill to strengthen background checks. Their bill was more expansive than the current one. It would have required background checks for gun purchases at gun shows and online.

The proposed legislation comes as funerals are taking place for 26 churchgoers gunned down in tiny Sutherland Springs, Texas. The shooter's domestic violence conviction should have blocked his purchase of a rifle used in the massacre, but was not submitted to the background check system by the military.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am undecided about this. I generally think the background checks are not worth the expense of doing them--as happened recently in Texas. They may be an "infringement" under the Second Amendment. Granted, some folks should not have access to guns, but I am not sure that a good system is doable. I am sure that the anti-gun crowd will want to add a few things to any legislation to further restrict our rights.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only issue I have with this Gun Control bill is that it will pave the road to more and more restrictions and God only knows where we will be in 10 years. We all know about the inch and the mile.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Jenks View Post
I am undecided about this. I generally think the background checks are not worth the expense of doing them--as happened recently in Texas. They may be an "infringement" under the Second Amendment. Granted, some folks should not have access to guns, but I am not sure that a good system is doable. I am sure that the anti-gun crowd will want to add a few things to any legislation to further restrict our rights.
The only time we hear about this happens when there is a shooting and when traced shows the system didn't work. I am sure there are millions of times over the last decade that the system did keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them. The fact remains that even with the background checks it is very easy for criminals to get a gun either through personal one to one sales, theft or the illegal black market. In the end what I see coming will be the requirement for all gun transactions to go through a FFL agent. Those people wanting a gun will have their background checked and then the next step would be to improve that database. Data records are only as good as what goes in. It appears that the incidence of mass shootings is on the rise so I imagine changes will start to happen soon.

Originally Posted by The Rev View Post
The only issue I have with this Gun Control bill is that it will pave the road to more and more restrictions and God only knows where we will be in 10 years. We all know about the inch and the mile.
That is always the answer and the one thing that has kept things status quo so far. Eventually after so many similar incidences things will start to change. My opinion is to buy what you want now while still available.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 11-18-2017 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:23 AM
Little Doe Peep

Unhappy

Let's be honest. We may not like the idea of background checks at gun shows and for sales between private parties, but a background check system will not be completely effective without these checks.

The big question is how to deal with nutcases. All of these atrocities, from Columbine on, were perpetrated by nutcases, either religious (Islamic) nut cases or non-affiliated nut cases. And you don't really need a gun. A truck will do the job. Do we need a national instant check system for truck rentals?
Old 11-18-2017, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly don't think we have a gun problem, we have a people problem.

Maybe new laws and stumbling blocks for gun purchases *might* incrementally change the gun crime rate a little, but it is sure not be any sort of cure. Just for perspective, gun crime in Germany is low, but there are way more firearms around than you'd think https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...-German-mosque. The Germans are just less likely to use them, arson seems to be the violent crime of preference. England, you may not get shot, but being beaten senseless is common, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...frica-U-S.html

IMO when it becomes economically viable, the black market for guns is going to grow.

Computer controlled milling machines are going to be able to turn out open bolt sub machine guns quickly. Only a matter of time until ammo becomes a viable cottage industry. Like any other black market items, where there is a demand and the price is right, somebody is going supply the product.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

That's great that they want to improve the background check system. I don't oppose that. But what nobody wants to talk about is the elephant in the room--Mental Health. That's also left up to the states and most of them have minimal funding for it even though a significant portion of our society has issues with mental health. Try getting mental health help for a crazy family member and you will find that the system enables crazy people and is rigged against people trying to get them help. And what common theme do all of these mass shootings have in common? Why mental health.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:21 PM
Dominant Buck

It will be hard to get a handle on mental health since it is treated differently than criminal actions which can land the perp on the "list". Too many liberties protect the people who have mental illnesses. I guess there needs to be away to differentiate mental illness and criminal mental illness.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

looks like a multi-million dollar law that will do nothing
Old 11-19-2017, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MudderChuck View Post
I honestly don't think we have a gun problem, we have a people problem.
DING, DING, DING, WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any firearm is an inanimate object. You can take any firearm, load it up with a chambered round and put it on the ground between a 5 lb rock and a tree limb. All 3 will lay there undisturbed until nature eventually breaks them down. But a person bound and determined to commit mayhem can use any of the 3 to kill his fellow man. It ain't the tool, it is who wields the tool that is and will always been the issue.

Last edited by flags; 11-19-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: typo