Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Rand Paul got his clock cleaned

Old 11-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport View Post
Ive broken ribs probably 10 different times...It sucks.
Agreed. I used to rodeo (bulls and broncs) in my youth and I've broken my share of them. Makes breathing a real bummer for about 6-8 weeks.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Livestock is how I broke most of mine to. Steers,bulls,horses,hogs etc. Then there was the drunk buddy with the flying elbow off the top of the couch while I was sleeping on the floor.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

we endured 8 years of the anointed one and I never assaulted a liberal, but as mark Wahlberg told ned Beatty in the movie shooter, god knows I want to.
RR
Old 11-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Never broke any ribs but did break a wrist, a collar bone and an ACL rupture playing ball. Collarbone was the worst. Sleeping was hard and I imagine broken ribs are even worse.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
Never broke any ribs but did break a wrist, a collar bone and an ACL rupture playing ball. Collarbone was the worst. Sleeping was hard and I imagine broken ribs are even worse.
Nope collar bone is worse.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Broken ribs suck. Broke 3 playing lacrosse. Especially when you have a cold and sneeze.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cr422 View Post
In this state, the prosecutor's office makes the ultimate decision as to charges. The police sometimes get it wrong. The police report for a current client says he was arrested for "burglary" and felony firearm. But Michigan no longer has a burglary statute. The charges came down as 1st degree home invasion and felony firearm. After exchanges of emails between the assistant prosecutor and me, a pleas bargain was negotiated - plead to possession of burglar tools, with home invasion and felony firearm dropped. (Gun was an air gun, no longer a firearm here.)

Based on the description of the Rand Paul incident, the charge would likely have been aggravated assault here, a one year misdemeanor. As someone pointed out though, assault is not just a crime, it's also a tort, so a lawsuit could happen.
I know what you're saying and agree that the proscutor's office decides what charges to file in court. I guess my point was that with broken ribs, they should have been able to figure out that it was a felony. Based on your comment about your state would view broken ribs as a misdemeanor, maybe it's different in some states. I know in mine that a GBI (Great bodily injury) element like that would be a felony.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

You sure don't want to laugh, sneeze, cough or push to hard when your on the toilet, with broken ribs.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
I know what you're saying and agree that the proscutor's office decides what charges to file in court. I guess my point was that with broken ribs, they should have been able to figure out that it was a felony. Based on your comment about your state would view broken ribs as a misdemeanor, maybe it's different in some states. I know in mine that a GBI (Great bodily injury) element like that would be a felony.
I understand your questions here. But generally, I say "generally", the prosecutor will be looking at INTENT. For example, assault with INTENT to commit great bodily harm is a felony (here). We had a case a couple years ago here where two guys got in a fight, rather one-sided fight, in a bar parking lot. Victim was knocked down, hit his head on the pavement and died. Accident? No! Assailant convicted of second degree murder. Seems he had made several statements like "I'm going to kill you." "I'm going to totally f you up." And so on. Jury found intent.

Intent isn't always required. Depraved heart murder, for example, rests on the "knew or should have known" principle. Same with DUI causing death or serious injury, etc.

In Michigan, assault on a pregnant woman resulting in a miscarriage, or death of the fetus/embryo, with intent or RECKLESSNESS, can get you life in prison.

Gotta remember, we don't know all the facts and circumstances regarding the Rand Paul case.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Look for federal charges to be leveled against this guy and/or at the very least, upping the charges at the state level. However, it's looking like he will be charged with a political attack on a sitting Senator. Despite his lawyer and him trying to down play what he did to a little yard dispute, the evidence isn't supporting it.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service